PDA

View Full Version : Playing outside

Sovereignty
02-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Hey guys, what are some tips for switching from hitting indoors to playing outside? I just went and hit at my highschool, because the courts cleared off and dried this weekend. It was about 40 degrees when we started hitting, and around 35 when we finished. I can tell you one thing, that was soooo weird haha. The ball didn't bounce as high, and my timing seemed off on my ground strokes. Surprisingly my serve was fine, not as fast, but that is because I was just using kick and slice so I could have a high first serve percentage. I only ask because in a week I am heading off to a florida tennis camp for the weekend, and they will be on clay. But one problem, its warm there haha. So what are some tips to get accustomed to the cold outdoors for the early part of the season?

LeeD
02-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Spend more time and fully warm up before going 80%.
Wear more clothes, including maybe two pairs of socks.
String slightly lower for lower temps.
Use lighter balls, less fuzz type.
You got the rest, except for than unforturnate SUN. Learn to second serve practically with eyes closed. Feel is big on second serves.
Lob if the opponent is looking into the sun.
Wind.... lower toss on serves for accuracy.
Wide stance, stay low, stay balanced even when the wind blows your hat off your head.

OvertheFence
02-08-2009, 03:23 PM
When I first switched from indoors to outdoors in like 30-40 degree temp., I noticed my shots dont go as fast and it was harder to clear the net. You will get used to it after a while.

LeeD
02-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Hence the lower string tension.
Try reading my post.

Sovereignty
02-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Well, luckily this isn't my first time making the transition. The couple things that will actually help is stringing at a lower tension, and the balls. The other stuff I luckily already know :D.

Serving in the sun today was annoying, but I changed my toss, so tis good.

fuzz nation
02-09-2009, 08:35 PM
It's a simple thing, but sometimes I forget to bring a lightweight warm hat for when I'll be hitting in the cold. That's where you get major body heat loss, so if you can cover that melon, it's easier to deal with the cold. I also string my own frames with 16 or 17 ga. syn. gut and I like to drop my tension by 4 lbs. for the same feel as playing indoors where it's 20-25 degrees F warmer.

I reeeeally love the newer synthetic long underwear that's around. It's really lightweight and pretty thin so it's not bulky or restricting, plus it doesn't absorb sweat like cotton. For me, it's the perfect base layer for this time of year.