PDA

View Full Version : Consistently Playing Inconsistent Tennis

RestockingTues
02-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Hey everyone. Usually I have periods of playing well and playing badly, but my cycle's been late for the last week. I have tryouts tomorrow and Tuesday, and I don't want to play at my worst while I'm trying to get onto varsity.

Are there any stretches/exersises/food I can eat the night before or before tryouts I could do to prepare myself?

mawashi
02-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Someone told me this, "remember when you played your best tennis then, recall what you did, ate, or did the day before."

It's mostly mental but things like diet, sleep, stress etc, etc all play a part.

mawashi

Alafter
02-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Hey everyone. Usually I have periods of playing well and playing badly, but my cycle's been late for the last week. I have tryouts tomorrow and Tuesday, and I don't want to play at my worst while I'm trying to get onto varsity.

Are there any stretches/exersises/food I can eat the night before or before tryouts I could do to prepare myself?

I know exactly what you are talking about. I go throught he same thing myself.

For me, just laying off tennis for a little bit usually does the trick. Since you dont have that much time, I suggest distrating yourself from tennis. Really get into a video game or something, i dunno.

Djokovicfan4life
02-08-2009, 08:23 PM
FOOTWORK:

Look at the drills on http://www.sportskool.com. Excellent stuff that'll have you moving much more quickly and efficiently.

Best of luck,

Matt

Alafter
02-08-2009, 08:30 PM
FOOTWORK:

Look at the drills on http://www.sportskool.com. Excellent stuff that'll have you moving much more quickly and efficiently.

Best of luck,

Matt

You know I only suggest what I suggest because he don't got that much timne till tomorrow and tuesday : / Long term improvement is different from having to calm yourself down the night before a test, especially when your performance arent consistent in the game.

Djokovicfan4life
02-08-2009, 08:34 PM
You know I only suggest what I suggest because he don't got that much timne till tomorrow and tuesday : / Long term improvement is different from having to calm yourself down the night before a test, especially when your performance arent consistent in the game.

Yes, but I wasn't referring to long term improvement, provided that he does them. :)

LeeD
02-09-2009, 08:00 AM
As you said, it comes in cycles...
Just be happy you are playing right now, at your "worse". That means you know you have to practice turning shoulder and using good footwork, watch the ball, anticipate, CARE HOW YOU PLAY, and take it seriously.
You will be fine in the tryouts if this is really a low part of your cycle.
If you had been playing great for the last two weeks, YOU SHOULD WORRY! Most players who play really well before entering a pressure match just completely unravel when it counts, because they are relying on pure luck, no technique, and the grace of god.
And remember this sage adage.... You are judged by your WORST day.
You judge your own tennis ability by your BEST day.
Now go out there and make it happen. Think, turn, move your feet, and you'll actually play pretty well.

albino smurf
02-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Footwork and intensity are the keys for me when I am playing up and down. It is hard to maintain those levels especially when you are low on energy or have payed frequently.

Care how you play is excellent advice, but don't get down on yourself when you don't play well. Figure out what is not working and work on that.

k_liu
02-09-2009, 09:58 AM
It's always mental for me. To get out of it I tell myself to stay positive and do the basic: footwork, follow through, stay relaxed and focus.

Djokovicfan4life
02-09-2009, 10:28 AM
It's always mental for me. To get out of it I tell myself to stay positive and do the basic: footwork, follow through, stay relaxed and focus.
Yes, what really helps me is focusing purely on the technique, with the ball simply getting in the way.

Matt

Djokovicfan4life
02-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Someone told me this, "remember when you played your best tennis then, recall what you did, ate, or did the day before."

It's mostly mental but things like diet, sleep, stress etc, etc all play a part.

mawashi
Yes, eat lightly before a match. No thanksgiving turkey or anything like that.