PDA

View Full Version : Is this a twist serve?

Thirteen
02-09-2009, 05:14 AM
http://vimeo.com/3143661

Are the above serves twist serves? I'm a lefty so a topspin slice should curl to my right, but those are clearly going left. However, Shouldn't twist serves bounce higher? And how do I get them to? Also, anyone have an estimate of what speed they are? Above 60mph I hope?

And... a little something extra... my first 1000000mph serve:

http://vimeo.com/3143843

It's so fast you can't see the ball travelling! Oh yeah ignore the other ball. That flew out of my pocket because my leg drive was so fast and violent. Honest!

Djokovicfan4life
02-09-2009, 07:49 AM
Definitely some twist to that serve. Keep up the good work.

With a little more practice you'll develop the racquet head speed to really make that thing jump.

Matt

LeeD
02-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Good humor!
Yes, that's the basic AmericanTwist lefty serve. The reason it goes really slow and doesn't bounce up high is you don't swing very fast, you fall backwards to the sideline, and you don't move your body into the court.
However, it's very effective against 2.0 players who can't pick up the different serves.
Seriously thos, you have a nice swing motion. You have the basics to serve pretty well. You appear fit and mostly strong.
Problem is you don't move into the court, you swing slow, and you fall backwards towards the sideline.
Practice takes care of the above. I'll bet you CAN hit true 100 + mph serves with a little practice. I'll bet you will be able to place your twists and topspin serves to the back or fore hands, and into the body, WITH MORE PRACTICE.
I'd consider serve practice, over 100 balls, at least twice a week for first serves, and DOUBLE that # for second serves. I know it sounds boring, but the second serve, besides return of serves, is the basis of our tennis game.

Lotto
02-09-2009, 07:57 AM
There's some wicked twist on that!!!

Djokovicfan4life
02-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Things to work on:

1. Weight transfer

2. Balance

You have a nice preparation, but you pull your tossing arm down prematurely and this pulls your head down, causing you to fall sideways rather than up and into the court.

Best of luck,

Matt

Petekbladetour1
02-09-2009, 08:11 AM
http://www.vimeo.com/3122113nice twist serve but its abit slow and doesnt look so smooth. try and smoothen everything up a little and have a look at my flas 1sr serve and my 2nd twist serve

LeeD
02-09-2009, 08:21 AM
err.....
I wouldn't give too much advice until my serves look a little better..:):)
Both motions, both of you, are not smooth, have hitches and technique flaws.
Both of you swing the racket waaaaay too soft, too slow, and like a .... but I shouldn't say. I played tennis as an adult, so was fully grown and stronger than ever.
I'd leave it to Dj for life or BBill, or Slicen to really comment on his serves....

tennisdad65
02-09-2009, 09:04 AM
http://www.vimeo.com/3122113nice twist serve but its abit slow and doesnt look so smooth. try and smoothen everything up a little and have a look at my flas 1sr serve and my 2nd twist serve

not to burst your bubble, but I like the OP's twist serve better than yours. He has better motion, toss, technique, and with a bit of practice will get it down.. Yours may be faster right now, but needs a lot more work.. just being honest..

LeeD
02-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Agree wholeheartedly with TennisDad on this one.....

Petekbladetour1
02-09-2009, 09:43 AM
what planet are you living on if you think that the other guys technique is better than mine?????????
a top coach who is a 2.2 LTA rating really liked my serve, and so did several other top coaches at sutton tennis academy!

thejoe
02-09-2009, 09:59 AM
what planet are you living on if you think that the other guys technique is better than mine?????????
a top coach who is a 2.2 LTA rating really liked my serve, and so did several other top coaches at sutton tennis academy!

His serve twists more, and he doesn't have your racquet head speed, which suggest his technique is better. And by "like" do you mean aesthetically or technique wise, because I'm struggling with the former.

Djokovicfan4life
02-09-2009, 10:47 AM

Reality check: It needs work, and quickly. Your tossing arm doesn't even extend straight up and you fall into the court with a horribly low contact point. Work on it.

I guess I'm living on the planet SAMPRAS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCkHGBKIaUQ

jefferson
02-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Thirteen,
i think your biggest problem is lack of knee bend. that is the reason your balance is off. Definitely have to speed the racket up to generate more spin! But the knee bend allows for more coil, which in turn if you can get the timing down results in much more spin/bite.

THe other major issue is that you are falling off to the right. You should be moving towards your target, this was also pointed out by above. You are sliding to the right to get to your toss. Your toss is fine, but you need to bend knees and back to get to the ball. Not slide body to the right. This is why it is not kicking. Hit more up on the ball. The lefty twist serve does jump to the left but also kicks more than yours does.

You should be hitting the ball on the upswing of your swing. Not fulling extended on a kick serve. Good Luck.

smoothtennis
02-09-2009, 11:57 AM

I know you are trying to help this guy - but his twist AND kick is more pronounced than yours. I wouldn't get all freaky about this, or be offended in the slightest. Take it as good feedback.

I think your twist serve would twist and kick a lot more and better than the first posters with the same motion you have right now if you moved your toss a little further back so that you are swinging more UP at the ball. You have good racket head speed going for you already - just have to apply it to the ball in a little different way to get the kick and twist you are after.

Thirteen
02-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks guys for all your replies! They've been very informative.

LeeD, jefferson, Djokovicfan4life - Yeah I just realised that I fall backwards/sideways, but I'm not sure how to fix it, since the ball is a little behind me when I hit it. Does it have to do with the toss. I'll try keeping my tossing arm up more as Matt suggested, which is a good habit to have anyway, but I don't get what jefferson means, as in, how the knee bend relates to my balance, and what I'm doing wrong and what I should be doing.

To the rest - Thanks for your comments, any more specific advice would be helpful!

Oh yeah, the reason why I'm swinging so slow is half intentional. Well half because I suck, but I'm actually trying to relearn my serve. I used to try and jump all over the place, but since my kinetic chain wasn't linked, the ball would fly slow anyway. So yeah, the serves in the video, I'm just tossing the ball and trying to time it right, with the correct pronation. It's mostly just using my arm and shoulders, with no lower body.

NickC
02-09-2009, 01:32 PM

LeeD, jefferson, Djokovicfan4life - Yeah I just realised that I fall backwards/sideways, but I'm not sure how to fix it, since the ball is a little behind me when I hit it. Does it have to do with the toss. I'll try keeping my tossing arm up more as Matt suggested, which is a good habit to have anyway, but I don't get what jefferson means, as in, how the knee bend relates to my balance, and what I'm doing wrong and what I should be doing.

To the rest - Thanks for your comments, any more specific advice would be helpful!

Oh yeah, the reason why I'm swinging so slow is half intentional. Well half because I suck, but I'm actually trying to relearn my serve. I used to try and jump all over the place, but since my kinetic chain wasn't linked, the ball would fly slow anyway. So yeah, the serves in the video, I'm just tossing the ball and trying to time it right, with the correct pronation. It's mostly just using my arm and shoulders, with no lower body.

I liked the first one, where you really threw yourself into the serve. You got good action on the ball - good stuff! But, as others have said, hold your position a bit longer and dip your knees a bit deeper and really explode into the ball. Work on getting spin on the ball, as all your power will come from your knees and lower body if you've got the right technique down.

Sovereignty
02-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Great twist serve, I wish I could consistently hit that serve at will. I have trouble getting the right motion on the ball. I tend to do more of a kick serve, over the top of the ball, than a 45 degree strike. keep it up!

LeeD
02-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Toss behind your head, the opposite from normal serves. Swing upwards with a LOWer contact point.
But ya gotta still mix it up, or the opponent learns how to stand in and T off your serve.

jefferson
02-10-2009, 06:21 AM
What I am trying to say is that when you fall off to the right your balance is when landing is off. you continue to fall off to right.
Presently there is no knee bend. Like i tried to say is that you get your racket to the toss by sliding you entire body to the right. You need to get a deep knee bend so you can get up to the ball with it over your head. This will allow you to brush up the back of the ball and thus create some kick to go with your serve. And now you are going up to the ball not off to the right. Thus when you land you will be falling towards your target and balanced into the court. Not off to the right. I will try and find a video when I get home from work to show you better. hard to explain without demo. Try and picture the ATP logo. There is a knee bend. Then watch your serve, no need bend.

I'll try and post a video later!

Djokovicfan4life
02-10-2009, 06:28 AM

Your toss will have to be a little further out in front, yes.

Andres
02-10-2009, 06:37 AM
Planet Reality.

LeeD
02-10-2009, 07:33 AM
In PlanetREality....
Top coach's always compliment the players, hoping for a chance to make money when the player or his parents hire him to coach the kid.
Coach's are always on the lookout for new customers. The customer's are YOU, and us....basically tennis players.
So one of their main promotions is to COMPLIMENT your game while insinuating they know how to fix the "few" flaws in your game.
The great American get rich scheme :confused: just kidding, I taught too...
But here on the internet, we have lots of knowledgeable tennis players who GIVE A DA.N about your skills, so they tell it like it is!
Much better, eh, to get free, useful advice.
But you still have to read their advice and consider it.

jefferson
02-10-2009, 06:15 PM
not the best video but i did quick search and found this decent example of knee bend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syemXgGzlPs

Ambivalent
02-10-2009, 08:53 PM
It got darker really fast, or so it looks like.