PDA

View Full Version : Best twist serve motion to copy

tennisdad65
02-09-2009, 12:44 PM
It is difficult to exactly copy anyones serve (especially pete's or edberg's).. but if you could, which of these 3 twist serve motions would you teach your pupil (or kids)?

1) Sampras
2) Rafter
3) Edberg

I expect no one in their right mind would try to copy Edberg :).

But between Sampras and Rafter, I would go with Rafter. His margin for error was a lot higher than Sampras.. Granted Rafter's speed was 10-15 mph less, but it also spun more and kicked up more. Sampras had a much lower margin for error on his kick, but it worked for him because he practiced his serve so much. I doubt anyone else can work that low margin as effectively or accurately as Sampras did.

LeeD
02-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Not sure copying works unless you are built and physiologically similar.
Since most of us don't currently hit 130 first serves, or 120 in Rafter's case, I doubt we can copy either's serve.
There's a "tall guy twist" serve around here somewhere, but he's like 6'3", so he can make it move fast.
I often play with a former #1 for CalPoly. At 6'6" and 220 lbs., his twist is the same slow speed as mine, but goes higher and farther out wide.
I think a successful twist serve is one you can hit your way, bounces high, goes off to your hitting hand side lots.
It's only ONE serve out of your repetoire of at least 6, so it doesn't NEED to be top 100 in the world.

Djokovicfan4life
02-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Thirteen's.

Thirteen
02-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Thirteen's.

LOL! Well I'd like to say "I hope you're joking", but let me just enjoy the moment for a while.

I vote for "not Edberg". He's one of my favourite players and I think he's the greatest serve and volleyer of all time, but his serve just looks so physically demanding. Rafter's does as well, but not as much as Edberg. IMO, both Rafter and Edberg have extreme back bend (with Edberg having more), and if some noob like me tries to copy it and isn't careful, a trip to the chiropractor might be in the cards.

So I guess I have to go with Sampras, out of the three. I actually like Santoro's, cos he sticks his racket out to the side and it looks interesting but then again, there's not much not to like about Santoro.

Djokovicfan4life
02-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Can't say I was watching tennis at the time, but from what I've seen and studied Sampras was the absolute king of spin. Not that it necessarily means the best motion, but still....................

tennisdad65
02-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Believe me, when i say I have tried all 3 motions and then some for hours on end :). (ps.. and my kick serve still sucks . some guys just don't get it. lol.)

Yes, sampras was the king of spin in that he had the variety of different serves (topspin, AT, topspin-slice, flat/slice) and could hit them all very well ... but as far as amount of spin on the kick serve, I think rafter had more spin..

I do love sampras's motion since his body bow consisted of the knee bend, shoulder rotation and hip thrust. This is easier on the back compared to Rafters or edbergs motion. But Rafter's is a fairly simple motion too.. just not back friendly.

Nanshiki
02-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Federer.

Nothing flashy but it would be the ideal thing for someone to aim for... reliable and reasonably fast.

Most of us are never going to have a 120 MPH kick serve... so I don't see any reason to copy Sampras' or Roddick's second serves.

Kenny022593
02-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Ryoma 10 fold

oneguy21
02-09-2009, 04:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM1P2ej4YtY

here's federer's serve

downdaline
02-10-2009, 02:56 AM
I would go for Edberg's simply bcos it was less taxing on his body than the other 2.

Sampras' motion required that you have beyond-human flexibility and full body coordination.

Rafters' serve was good, but he had shoulder and back issues from all those kick serves.

Edberg, i never saw him get injured or worn out from serving, eventhough his serves werent as fast.

d-quik
02-10-2009, 03:59 AM
edberg's and rafter's have more movement (probably by default since they are moving slower) and sampras' is faster and heavier

halalula1234
02-10-2009, 04:11 AM
invent your own.

LeeD
02-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Halalula !!!
Exactly, we all gotta hit our own serves, play our own way, and use our own mental strategy.

d-quik
02-10-2009, 11:23 AM
halalulalalulalalalululaulualalalala!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol sorry i had to

Sublime
02-10-2009, 11:46 AM
I'd like to say Sampras, but if my arm was ever within 15 degrees of frame 8 or 9 of this image (http://news.tennis365.net/lesson/img/pro_gif/sampras_serve_03_0312.jpg), it will be my last serve for months... because my shoulder will be dislocated and my arm potentially broken in 2 places.

150mph_
02-10-2009, 11:52 AM
i like nadal's serve..
but i say that because i adore nadal beyond idolatry