PDA

View Full Version : Serve Ideas?

Hondasteve
02-09-2009, 06:31 PM
http://www.vimeo.com/2945209

Sovereignty
02-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Well for one, listen to Djokovicfan. He always has good tips for serving. But, I am pretty sure he will say keep your tossing hand and serving hand together. They should go up together, and come down together. Also, seems like your making good use of your legs, so thats always a good thing

Hondasteve
02-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Dude....sovereign

LeeD
02-09-2009, 06:43 PM
I actually watched the whole 2:40, and I NEVER usually watch more than 10 serves.....
Excellent motion, good pace, some spin applied even thos the toss is correct for flat serves. Hence the slower arc'd path and high bounce.
This might seem wierd, but it appears your netted serves are a result of an inconsistent toss farther BACK than normal. You might be compensating and flicking your pronation sooner to account for the errant toss.
A little more forward movement into the court would add some pace, but maybe the toss is the problem right now...
How high is the camera mounted? Seems like 5' or so.

datennisboy87
02-09-2009, 06:48 PM
-turn your shoulders more
-more wrist "snap"
- try tossing a little higher and hitting at highest point
- Keep your non-hitting arm up longer. You pull it down which causes your head to come down.

overall you have a nice serve with room to improve.

good luck

Hondasteve
02-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Yep, about 5'. You are correct - was trying to toss farther back on the misses. I was going for more topspin...an inconsistency of mine.

Hondasteve
02-09-2009, 06:53 PM
-turn your shoulders more
- Keep your non-hitting arm up longer. You pull it down which causes your head to come down.

Excellent - thanks.

LeeD
02-09-2009, 06:55 PM
A topspin (slight, almost dead ball) first serve is very consistent and really bounces high. I turn my body more sideways, in addition to a farther back toss, in addition to a bit of handle rotation from pure conti towards a bit of backhand. All give that deadball POP.
You know we are all built differently. I won't comment on technique unless it's a glaring fault. Yours is fine. We don't want to serve like USPTA clones.

Hondasteve
02-09-2009, 06:58 PM
good observation, Lee. The basket had mostly duds - 2-3 months old :cool:

Sovereignty
02-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Dude....sovereign

yes.....? hello?

LeeD
02-09-2009, 06:59 PM
What kind of Honda? :):)
I've had CR-125's, 250's, 500's, and even two Civics.:shock::shock:

Hondasteve
02-09-2009, 07:21 PM
http://www.factorypro.com/images/bikes/bike_honda,cbr929rr.jpg
I miss her...

LeeD
02-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Nice....
I mainly raced TD-3 Yamaha's and a whole slew of motocross bikes in the late 60's thru early 80's.

Hondasteve
02-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Cool - I did some motocross, just for fun though. Mainly liked riding street.

fuzz nation
02-10-2009, 08:21 AM
If the camera was set up on your side of the court, it would be a lot easier to pick out the components of your motion's progression. Are you planning on posting any more video?

From what I can see in this footage, one essential that you can check on is the basic direction of your forward momentum into the court. Your target is the ad box, but your momentum carries you over toward the deuce box and even the net post to our right/your left. With a more efficient motion, your movement ought to be in the general direction of where you're sending the ball.

Djokovicfan4life
02-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Well for one, listen to Djokovicfan. He always has good tips for serving. But, I am pretty sure he will say keep your tossing hand and serving hand together. They should go up together, and come down together. Also, seems like your making good use of your legs, so thats always a good thing

Awww, isn't that precious?

Can't watch the video on OSU's computers; will check it out when I get back to the house.

Matt

Slicendicer
02-10-2009, 08:31 AM
You should come out of your serve the in the direction your shoulders are facing... if not, the hips and shoulders are "working" against each other.

Hondasteve
02-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Any estimate on speed?

LeeD
02-11-2009, 06:00 PM
You know I"m obsessed with the height of the bounce on the backboard is one of the indicators for ball speed.
Several other indicators needed, of course. Height of strikezone, how flat hit, technique and size of server, court abrasiveness, kind of ball and condition of.....
But overall, you hit with some amount of spin. You will probably gain another 5-10 mph if you can flatten it out, producing that audible POP sound.
As a guess, I'd say as is, well over 100.
One big problem is that your serves are not consistent. When I go hit 40 serves, I can usually string together IN serves, all flat and faster than 110, at least 3-5 at a time with less misses, then another string of multiples that go IN.
Most fast serve contests, they only give you a total of 7 serves, so you better get them in at least 50%.
Yes, the cold takes away some serve speed.

WildVolley
02-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Any estimate on speed?

I have trouble estimating just by watching a video, but I think some of those serves were close to 100mph. You have a lot better pop than some of the other videos I've seen.

Tennis Dunce
02-12-2009, 07:57 AM
You're bringing that tossing arm down way too early.

Hondasteve
03-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Anyone else? I am going to try and shoot some new video this weekend for more critique. Next round will be from behind with me in full frame.