PDA

View Full Version : what grip on overheads?

WNocturne
02-09-2009, 07:25 PM
I use a semi western grip when i hit my forehand. When I try to hit an overhead do i change my grip to a continental and then pronate to hit the overhead as if im serving? Or do i not pronate and just stick with semi western and slap it down?

crystal_clear
02-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Switch to continental grip to hit overhead shots. Not sure about pronating?

Djokovicfan4life
02-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Continental. Technique is comparable to the serve, as you probably know.

AlphaCDjkr
02-09-2009, 07:38 PM
I use a semi western grip when i hit my forehand. When I try to hit an overhead do i change my grip to a continental and then pronate to hit the overhead as if im serving? Or do i not pronate and just stick with semi western and slap it down?

Well from my experience (I play eastern FH, but I can use semi-western decently at will), I USED to smash with an eastern FH grip, this may be comparable with your option of smashing with a semi-western. Smashing with an eastern FH gave me certain pros, mainly because I was not taught the flat serve properly, and to this day I use an Eastern FH for my flat serve, rather than continental...:( When I smashed with my Eastern FH, I had much more power and directional control; however, it was rather inconsistent and often failed to go in, and would smack the fence instead. By switching to continental, my smashes because much more consistent, though I lost a bit of power.

Also, if you smash with a semi-western grip, you'll often put reverse sidespin through natural pronation; that is, if you're righty, a SW smash may curve right, and the opposite for a lefty. For fun, I like to intentionally slice/smash with a SW grip to mess with my opponents who won't expect a lefty's curve. You can do this intentionally if you wish.

I would recommend you go with the continental grip for your smashes. Using the SW grip seems far too awkward for me, (but it makes up with it's unusual spin. If you pronate off the side of the ball enough, you can actually generate a reverse twist... :), except, it may not be too useful as the twist spin generated won't have any exceptional effect, and a plain flat smash may be more useful anyway.)

EPaps
02-09-2009, 08:10 PM
I usually try to hit a second serve type of overhead.

michaelwtennis
02-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Definitely continental is the way to go. Helps with the direction of your overhead too.

WildVolley
02-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Continental. You'll hit most your overheads when you're at the net, where you should be holding continental for your volleys in any case. Just pronate through the shot. In most cases, placement is more important for the overhead than power - though with proper technique it isn't hard to smash an overhead almost like a first serve.

LeeD
02-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Continental.
Most smashes near the service line, my ball goes almost as fast as a first, flat serve.
When opponent cheats to one side, then you can slice the overhead to the open court.
Use your overhead to INTIMIDATE your opponent!

tennisdad65
02-10-2009, 09:58 AM
I usually try to hit a second serve type of overhead.

I have seen Federer do this, and especially when he is beyond the service line.

The guys with great overheads like Becker and Sampras just slammed them first serve flat style and pace.

I use continental and pronate through it just like a flat first serve.