PDA

View Full Version : first tennis tryout/practice tomorrow

late start!
02-09-2009, 10:00 PM
So it's my senior year and I just started playing tennis at the beginning of the school year. Tennis tryout/practice is tomorrow so I was wondering what i should be expecting? What does a normal tryout consist of? Is it mostly drills or matchplay? Also any suggestions/advice would be appreciated! :)

maverick66
02-09-2009, 10:05 PM
i remember playing alot of points. not sets but points. like first to 11 and stuff like that. i beat everyone and made 1st doubs my first year cause coach had favorites so you might get the shaft seems you havnt played all the way through.

fuzz nation
02-10-2009, 06:59 AM
In the coaching that I've done, we pretty much need to get everyone playing each other in some sort of format so that we can quickly determine which guys will be on the varsity squad and what the ladder will be. The actual varsity ladder needs to be submitted to the interscholastic league office before our first match against another school, so time is short.

My advice when you get out there is to be positive, show some hustle, and be helpful. Don't be a wallflower - introduce yourself to the coach. Aside from you actual tennis performance, an outgoing personality can make you more of a perceived asset for the team. When you play points, matches, etc. in your tryouts, focus on being consistent. I guarantee that if you try to play over your head and swing like a rock star, it will make you stand out in a bad way. One huge serve among a couple dozen wasted ones for example will definitely not earn you a spot among a lot of more consistent, solid players. Be yourself out there.

I don't know how it goes where you're trying out, but I know that some schools have a policy of not keeping seniors who don't make the varsity team - in a lot of cases, it's not practical. My situation is more flexible and my head coach and I typically have no interest in cutting anyone if we don't have to. Once we get the varsity team hammered out, the rest of the crew forms the JV team and they actually have their own league and match schedule. As long as everyone has some basic ability, we can play them and develop them.