PDA

View Full Version : ((((( One Hand Backhand Return of Serve on the Duece Side )))))

superlobber
02-09-2009, 11:29 PM
How do you return the serve with a topspin One-Handed-Back-Hand on the duece side crosscourt?
For some reasons, I can only return the serve to the server's ad side only when I go for the OHBH. I just can't put it back to the server's duece side. The ball would fly to the fence, into the net or who know where.
Any advice?

Tempest344
02-10-2009, 02:32 AM
Footwork...you need to give yourself good room

also you want to be hitting the ball later than you would normally

toughest shot for a one-hander

raiden031
02-10-2009, 03:02 AM
Yes this is an incredibly tough shot in doubles. I'm getting better at it by practicing. I don't think there is any trick. Alot of times I have to resort to a slice to get a dependable return back.

LeeD
02-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Returning serves, often footwork is impossible, the ball is coming too fast.
Really turn the shoulders MORE, target your follow thru to the duece side, not crosscourt to the ad side.
Longer tackback helps, so you don't swing as early as normal.
I'm a lefty mostly playing ad court. Serves to my backhand get a fully topped, HARD return when I'm confident.
Oh, miss a few for fun, then concentrate more it the rest will go in.

tennisdad65
02-10-2009, 09:23 AM
its tougher in doubles because of the pressure caused by a poacher. I move well into the court and block it or chip it back like Mac used to do in doubles. I do not have to hit it hard, but rarely get poached on because I am well into the court.

In singles, if the other guy is not a threat to serve and volley, you could move well back and take a topspin ground stroke.. I like to vary my return position in singles. Sometimes inside with a threat to chip/charge, sometimes on or just behind the baseline, sometimes way behind the baseline for a normal backhand topspin return.

EikelBeiter
02-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Really turn the shoulders MORE, target your follow thru to the duece side, not crosscourt to the ad side.
I'm a lefty mostly playing ad court. Serves to my backhand get a fully topped, HARD return when I'm confident.

I find the opposite to be true on returns, keep the backswing as short as possible and hit the ball in front of you

RalphNYC
02-10-2009, 09:36 AM
What grip do people normally hold on the return of serve, the backhand grip? I have a 1HBH and I prefer holding a forehand grip while waiting for the serve - but common sense tells me it's better to hold a backhand grip (my weaker side) because with enough practice it'll eventually be easier to quickly grab a FH grip rather than a BH.

LeeD
02-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Eikel...
We'er talking ONE specific case of backhand return.
The OP is always TOO EARLY, thus hitting to the netperson.
Turning shoulders more is the best cure, but the others work also.
Prepping earlier would work, of course, as would shorter backswing.
Maybe OP can't wait for the ball, thus hitting too early.

tennisdad65
02-10-2009, 09:43 AM
What grip do people normally hold on the return of serve, the backhand grip? I have a 1HBH and I prefer holding a forehand grip while waiting for the serve - but common sense tells me it's better to hold a backhand grip (my weaker side) because with enough practice it'll eventually be easier to quickly grab a FH grip rather than a BH.

I use the continental grip and volley the return away :).
I am better at volleys than groundstrokes and like to think of my service return as something closer to a half volley than a regular groundstroke.

LeeD
02-10-2009, 09:46 AM
I'm wid you on the volley stroke return of serve.
But nothing like blasting a full groundie back at 80+ mph on a fellows big first serve, for the look of surprise and wonder.
Of course, I can only claim like 50% success rate.:confused:

EikelBeiter
02-10-2009, 09:54 AM
How do you return the serve with a topspin One-Handed-Back-Hand on the duece side crosscourt?
For some reasons, I can only return the serve to the server's ad side only when I go for the OHBH. I just can't put it back to the server's duece side. The ball would fly to the fence, into the net or who know where.
Any advice?

Eikel...
We'er talking ONE specific case of backhand return.
The OP is always TOO EARLY, thus hitting to the netperson.
Turning shoulders more is the best cure, but the others work also.
Prepping earlier would work, of course, as would shorter backswing.
Maybe OP can't wait for the ball, thus hitting too early.

Where does it say that he is always too early? And thus hitting to the netperson? The backhand return on the deuce side, especially in doubles, is the hardest return in my opinion. I think the best way to hit it is in front of you and use a compact backswing.

mikeler
02-10-2009, 10:40 AM

I always wait on the serve with the backhand grip since most people try to stay away from my more dangerous yet erratic forehand.

LeeD
02-11-2009, 11:29 AM
I wait with either a conti for volleying the return either side or a forehand SW grip.
My reasoning.... When you hold forehand, and the ball goes forehand, no problem. When you hold backhand, and the ball goes forehand, you have to reach over with your off hand to get to forehand prep.
When you hold forehand and the ball goes backhand, you naturally turn both shoulders and both arms to backhand, making the grip change easier, faster, more precise....
OK, only works for me. I know what grip you are holding. I will serve to the other side mostly :twisted::twisted:

mikeler
02-11-2009, 11:41 AM
I play one guy that has a great serve out to the forehand that he uses 75% of the time. Against him, I wait with the forehand grip. I'm never afraid to adjust anything in my game to get the win.:twisted:

In D Zone
02-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Any advice?

This is what I do when I am playing doubles. Try this:

Instead of standing parallel to the baseline when receiving a serve.
Try standing diagonal to the baseline - (Right hand) Right foot close to the baseline; left foot standing slight behind . This way the shoulder and stance is already facing the deuce side of the court (opponent) which is also helps you the forehand side to return a deeper cross court shot.

When swinging the one bh - hit it as if you are going for DTL, otherwise, you'll hook the ball back to the middle or to the net guy on the ad side.

And since this is a return of serve - I would advise you go for the abbreviated backhand / punch (its much more effective against fast coming serve). Using the racquet as a back board and your forward motion to generate power. Offers better control than going for a full swing. But there will times when you can take a full cut with 1hbh especially on 2nd serve.

In D Zone
02-11-2009, 12:50 PM
If you are not comfortable standing diagonally when you are returning serve.

Instead of the normally 1hbh prep
- you will have to cross the left foot back behind the right foot. The shoulder and racquet postion must turn with the back step (as a unit). You'll notice that you are now facing diagonally to the deuce side of the court.
Again - short abbreviated swing.

This footwork is pretty similar to a carioca step..... ( in this case you can choose to move in [Chip and Charge] or stay at the baseline).

WHat is the Carioca Step?
http://www.tennisone.com/newsletter/template/11.22.04.newsletter.html

julian
02-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Suggesting a longer takeback is a COMPLETELY wrong idea
in the case of return of serve.A reverse trend of SHORTENING
a backswing should be coached as a basic way to get ready for a ball

superlobber
02-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Thank you all.
I find that short swing is problably work best best because the serve come so fast that taking a full swing is very hard to do. However, I do see some actually brush the racquet up, instead of swing the racquet accross the chest.
As for me, I just slice and float the ball back, but I will try out all of you guy technique to see which work best for me.