PDA

View Full Version : Strings go 'dead'?

v205
02-10-2009, 02:10 AM
What do people really mean when strings go 'dead'?

Is it too loose that it becomes uncontrollable?

Is has lost it's elasticity? That it'd hurt the arm more (especially with poly) even though there's has been tension lost from original tension?

Or what other ways would you describe it?

Tempest344
02-10-2009, 02:11 AM
they have no feel so to speak or feedback
you won't be able to know how well you've hit your shot
you'll know when you hit with them....

GugaGuga
02-13-2009, 12:59 PM
To me, they are dead when they begin to feel "spongy" instead of crisp. Control and spin potential start to fade.

tennisfreak15347
02-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Tennischannel describes this feeling as when your strings emit a dull thud sound when you pluck them. Normally, it there should be a metalish pinging sound when you pluck your strings ( with your dampener off).

Racer41c
02-13-2009, 02:06 PM
^^^^ All of the above and more. I once had a racquet strung with a prepackaged Prince Hybrid. It took me about 1/2 hour to get used to it and I really started liking it. The next time out it continued to play the same and I thought I'd found something. The 3rd day I was starting to lose that lovin feelin, then on the 4th day the poly was dead. DED dead.

LeeD
02-13-2009, 02:07 PM
I keep asking this to my two stringer friends, both professional and currently employed.
They keep giving me newer rackets with one day string jobs to try.
After maybe 15 different rackets, I still like my Mfil 200 with the cheapest 15 guage strings that are 4 months old.
To them, it's heresy. To me, I play dead even with them, the ball goes exactly as I hit it, and my old strings actually feel more solid on hard hit balls.
Love new LuxilinBBanger.

bugmenot
02-13-2009, 10:12 PM
dead strings are just an excuse for bad technique