PDA

View Full Version : I saw Sampras floating in the Shark Tank last night! (pics)

plasma
02-10-2009, 02:01 PM
KHW2007, a fellow rackaholic buddy and I, decided to meet up at the Shark Tank for the Sampras/ Blake exhibition. I came early and saw the Stephanek, Dent and Hass waste some qualifiers for lunch...I used my ninjitsu to weasel my way to within three rows of the court. Blake had sand in his Bikini so Hass had to fill in for him, which is fine because he's much more talented anyways, and Blake would have actually lost to Sampras as Hass barely beat him, and lost to him last year...I called KHW right before the match and he and his GF were so far in the bleachers I could barely get reception.....we both brought St.Vincents to get signed after the match, by the greatest Men's Player in the history of the sport. KHW had gotten autographs before and knew exactly where to stand after the match...As I was approaching Sampras I was trampeled by screaming adolescents with oversize autograph balls...I was ****ed, what a let down!!!...no autograph!!, and the whole day I had this "feeling" that I just "knew" I was going to get the only autograph I would ever ask any famous person for... "Mr. Sampras Could you please sign my??..."Mr.Sampras, could-..." my only option was to trample several kids...not my style... so I just slouched sadly...
http://i41.tinypic.com/9a5qm9.jpg
then out of nowhere, not able to move an inch as I was sandwiched between a mad mob of screaming fans... I heard a voice..."here give that to me" I could hear the voice but I couldn't see who it was, in my heart though, I felt I could trust them...I tossed my one and only new vinny into the air...KHW2007 caught it!... and handed it to Pete Sampras...who quickly placed his autograph on the prostaff, momentarily paused, and hesitantly tossed it back to me saying..."nice racquet"... (true story)
http://i40.tinypic.com/24fz8cm.jpg
special thanks to KHW2007!!!! I owe you one...

aimr75
02-10-2009, 02:07 PM
cool story, great looking st vincent too.. hang tags and all, must be mint

Gorecki
02-10-2009, 02:09 PM
if that is what i think it is: a SV PS 85 with tags on and a sampras autograph in the fw grip, i can only say:

you lucky "bjsklhdalcidhoicdshvc" (place loud buzz) :)

Indiana Puffed
02-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Touched by the hand of GOAT. I'd wrap some plastic round the handle, take it out on the courts, serve some and see just how much spin you can get with this baby now!

Nice story and well done.

gymrat76
02-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Hey Dan, are you sugar-coating the story or did he seriously kinda hesitate when giving it back? hahaha sweet!!! :)

jetlee2k
02-10-2009, 03:43 PM
wowow.. that's nice one.. is that original Leather grip come with it?? it looks pretty new in color.. The ones I have are kind of dark color grip..

May be next time I'll bring mine to Bell Air so Sampras can sign it.. yeah.. that would jack up its value.. !! :)

VGP
02-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Great story plasma.

Keep your story and pics handy should you ever decide to sell (not that you probably ever would, but even for your family).

It'll be a hard sell convincing a potential buyer that that is Sampras' sig.

Cool nonetheless.

jimbo333
02-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Plasma, this really is your best post yet, it actually made me laugh out loud!!

Personally I think your photo of Pete, with you waving your St.Vincent in front of your camera in the foreground is better than actually getting the autogragh, superb!!

And that "momentarily paused" comment was such a winner, hilarious!!!

roundiesee
02-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Great post, great story, with a happy ending! Anyone interested to take this to Hollywood? :)

Oui, c'est moi.
02-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Hey that's sweet! You lucky son.

jimbo333
02-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Oh by the way I saw Pete play at the Royal Albert Hall in London England before Christmas. I also saw Jimmy Connors (in my opinion the most exciting player to watch of all time) play one of his last ever competitive games there a few years ago. A fantastic venue for a tennis match!!

And unbelievably McEnroe almost beat Sampras, really putting on a great performance, am guessing that could be one of McEnroes last ever competitive matches!!!

khw72004
02-10-2009, 06:26 PM
So there I was, Unlike Plasma, I was trampling through the crowd finding my way through front of the line. The seconds felt like minutes when Pete Sampras was walking through the court in defeat.I saw Plasma across with the New with tag Saint Vincent (which I have only seen on Tennis Talk) waving through the air. I had my Taiwan (not SV for it was at my parents house) shoved in front of some little kid's tennis ball, and had my hand over and other kids face (this part is just joking, but funny) and There I was getting mine signed. Only after I had mine signed, I yelled out to Pete "There's a Brand New Pro Staff right behind you!!!!!!!!" (yes with that many exclamation marks. )Pete did not hear over the ten thousand fans yelling "sign my ball" I reached over to grab the racket from Plasma but he retraced from defeat when Pete was walking away. He stopped a little ahead in the tunnel and I yelled "Give me that" reaching over again for A NWT SV PS85. I got it and reached across an other 45 kids desperately trying to get their Tennis ball signed. And I faintly heard Plasma yelling "Mr. Sampras, Please sign my racket!" Sampras signs it. As I reached back giving the racket back I head from where Plamsa was standing "I love you Mr. Sampras." When I gave it back to him, Plasma was the happiest person in the Stadium.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2z8rksy.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2rr58ad.jpg
Too bad mine does not compare to the SV Plasma has

NoNameZ
02-10-2009, 06:53 PM
wow...great story...lucky guy man...
wonder how much the SV is worth now?

VGP
02-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Given the quality of the signature, I think it's actually worth less.

dpfrazier
02-10-2009, 08:02 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/24fz8cm.jpg
special thanks to KHW2007!!!! I owe you one...
Hey, I sat in the same seat for the day session today! (Section 106, row 7, seat 11)
You must have been next to a chatty group of gals (my wife and her buddies)...

plasma
02-10-2009, 08:10 PM
chatty but fun and very nice, you're a lucky guy...

anirut
02-11-2009, 04:21 AM
You guys are lucky!!!

khw72004
02-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Given the quality of the signature, I think it's actually worth less.

That's if we sell it, but its worth a lot more sentimentally that I got it signed personally by Pete Sampras. There't not a lot of people that can say that.

VGP
02-11-2009, 08:45 AM
I totally didn't mean to rain on your guys' parade with my comments.

I was speaking from a purely collectible standpoint.

For you guys (and for me if I had your experience) the rackets are priceless.

As a side note, the best way to get an autograph is at autograph sessions where people come up one at a time.....or when they are coming off practice at a non-crowded court and they're not in a hurry (rarer situation for big names)....or the random chance encounter.

khw72004
02-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the info. If I get that chance I will get my other one signed. But I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon.

gocard02
02-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Touched by the hand of GOAT. I'd wrap some plastic round the handle, take it out on the courts, serve some and see just how much spin you can get with this baby now!

Nice story and well done.

Hehe. Seriously, don't do that, the plastic could lift the autograph right off the handle.

goldenyama
02-17-2009, 11:25 PM
I tossed my one and only new vinny into the air...KHW2007 caught it!... and handed it to Pete Sampras...who quickly placed his autograph on the prostaff, momentarily paused, and hesitantly tossed it back to me saying..."nice racquet"... (true story)

Do you think he could instantly recognize it as an SV due to him having owned and played with hundreds of them over many many years?

I bet he was thinking "Man if I was using THIS I would have beat Haas...I should just walk out of here with it, paint some white K's on the side and use it in my next match...Wilson will never know:twisted:"

Bud
02-17-2009, 11:38 PM
Great story, Plaz!

jimbo333
02-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Great story, Plaz!

This is without a doubt the best thread I've read on these forums:):)

jimbo333
04-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Still my favourite ever thread on "Classic Racquet Talk":):):)

jimbo333
08-14-2009, 03:13 AM
Nnnnoooooooo!!!

Plasma is banned again:(:(:(

Why?

He is by far the most entertaining person on here, and actually one of the most knowledgeable what has he done to get banned?

racquetfreak
08-14-2009, 04:17 AM
Nnnnoooooooo!!!

Plasma is banned again:(:(:(

Why?

He is by far the most entertaining person on here, and actually one of the most knowledgeable what has he done to get banned?

plasma lives life on the edge - you can't live on the edge w/o getting cut once in awhile.

Tennis Man
08-14-2009, 06:48 AM
what a cheerful story, thanks for sharing. :)

NoNameZ
08-14-2009, 01:14 PM
I recently missed my chance to have Sampras sign my SV at the LA Open... On his way back to the locker room, still hoping to get it signed, I called out to him "Mr. Sampras!" He looks up, shoots a smile, and waves... next second he was gone...