PDA

View Full Version : Level of play?

manu7381
02-10-2009, 03:51 PM
How good do you have to be to make this team?

I'm a middle of the road 4.5 is their any hope for me?

I have never play USTA I just play high school for the past 2 years intensely studying technique..

JMS
02-10-2009, 03:56 PM
How good do you have to be to make what team?

LeeD
02-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Surprisingly, most top #1 high school players are barely 4.0, at best. They haven't grown to full size, they are still learning technique, they are not nearly as strong as someone 5 years older.
And lots of great athletes get bled off to football, baseball, basketball, and other sports.
But what team where?:confused::confused:

NickC
02-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Surprisingly, most top #1 high school players are barely 4.0, at best. They haven't grown to full size, they are still learning technique, they are not nearly as strong as someone 5 years older.

What kind of drugs are you on today? The entire starting lineup for singles for my highschool team was 5.0-5.5 (all of them had national rankings). Out of every time I saw them play, the opposing #1 was atleast a solid 5.0.

JMS
02-10-2009, 04:17 PM
What kind of drugs are you on today? The entire starting lineup for singles for my highschool team was 5.0-5.5 (all of them had national rankings). Out of every time I saw them play, the opposing #1 was atleast a solid 5.0.

Same here, out of our top 4 this year, the worst is a high 3 star recruit on tennisrecriuting. And our other two starters are very talented as well, they just don't play many tournaments.

LeeD
02-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Seriously doubt what you consider 5.0 is close to what I consider 5.0.
First of all, high schoolers don't play in 5.0 or open tournaments, unless they're really special.
And if they ARE really special, you wouldn't have this stuckup attitude, you'd just say YOUR team is special and will win the state championships guranteed!

NickC
02-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Seriously doubt what you consider 5.0 is close to what I consider 5.0.
First of all, high schoolers don't play in 5.0 or open tournaments, unless they're really special.
And if they ARE really special, you wouldn't have this stuckup attitude, you'd just say YOUR team is special and will win the state championships guranteed!

I consider a 5.0 + as going deep into national 16s and 18s tournaments. The kid that played 5th singles was top 1000 ITF. I'm not in highschool, and nor did I play for that team, as I can't stand the coach. And the school I went to highschool at wins states every year, both in individual play and in team play. Any more questions?

manu7381
02-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Wow I had a serious brain fart.

http://www.gopack.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9200&KEY=&SPID=3732&SPSID=41966

manu7381
02-10-2009, 04:58 PM
I searched most of the roster on tennisrecruiter.com and found they are all 4 star recruits.. how good is that?

TennisNinja
02-10-2009, 05:01 PM

Completely depends on where you live. In the PNW high school tennis is a joke and most top players choose to skip it because it doesn't offer anything to them. I can easily believe that SoCal teams or other stronger sections have great HS tennis.

region2champion
02-10-2009, 05:02 PM
I searched most of the roster on tennisrecruiter.com and found they are all 4 star recruits.. how good is that?

like playing national tournaments and doing great in them. If you've never really played tournies you really don't have a shot.

LeeD
02-10-2009, 05:05 PM
So if your school WINS state every year, are you saying all the other highschools have just as talented players?
"MOST high school" ......... NOT EVERY, or can you not comprehend because you are dyslecic?

manu7381
02-10-2009, 05:08 PM
like playing national tournaments and doing great in them. If you've never really played tournies you really don't have a shot.
Wow alright then.....

deddied
02-10-2009, 05:09 PM
With the NTRP, it depends where you live. My friend, a 5.0 in Florida, went to North Carolina to visit family, and did a "5.0" tournament. Won ever match 0-0. Apparently their 5.0 is like 4.5 in Florida.

JMS
02-10-2009, 06:34 PM
With the NTRP, it depends where you live. My friend, a 5.0 in Florida, went to North Carolina to visit family, and did a "5.0" tournament. Won ever match 0-0. Apparently their 5.0 is like 4.5 in Florida.

That has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with a state school's tennis, and who knows how large of a 5.0 tournament he played, if there were any younger players in the draw, etc. There are too many lurking variables to draw a conclusion about the NTRP system of a state from a friends single experience.

And to answer the original question, you have to be a strong player, but not insanely perfect. NC State is a large D1 school, but they do not place a lot of focus on their tennis program so they don't draw in the blue chip recruits.

jbetti
02-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Manu, you might be able to "walk-on" (aka. no scholarship and will likely not play in matches... just practice) with quite a few D-1 teams as a middle of the road 4.5. There's a lot of terrific teams that are just loaded with national superstars and top international players, but there are also plenty of teams happy to have 4.5 and even real solid 4.0's. The ACC is a pretty solid tennis conference, though. It's no Pac 10, but it's pretty solid.

If you end up going to N.C. State, I'm sure their club team would love to have you. If you don't know about college club tennis, check out tennisoncampus.com. Most the top teams have a couple 4.5 level players, at least (there are obviously 3.5's and such, too, there's a ton of variety). I played college club tennis at Syracuse and loved it. I'm a high 4.0 to low 4.5, and I was our 3rd or 4th best guy, roughly.

JMS
02-11-2009, 01:48 PM
And if club tennis does not work out there is also intramural tennis. Because I know last year at UNC about 150 people tried out for 12 spots on the club team.

manu7381
02-11-2009, 03:12 PM
alright well see what happens. Ive already been accepted so im definitely going to try out. Maybe I should write a letter to the coach. To be honest Ive been playing for 1 year and 1 month, but with insane dedication, maybe he would be impressed by that.

ClarkC
02-11-2009, 04:41 PM
I am glad you learned how to check out the school at tennisrecruiting.net. The next step is to realize that the match day roster is not always represented on that site. Many teams have half their top players never show up on tennisrecruiting.net, because they are foreign players who do not get their commitment and admissions and paperwork cleared up until June when everyone else signed in November and April.

Go look at box scores of actual NCSU matches and see who is playing. Then check their past recruiting years. Often, you will find that the 3-star and 4-star recruits you see on tennisrecruiting.net are not who is actually playing matches against top opponents.

JakeRicardyau11
02-11-2009, 06:32 PM
how good do you have to be to play D-3 tennis, I have played for 3 years and have been number one seed at my high school all 3 years, but I play at a 4a school in southern Alabama where I know the competition can't be very good, I have hopes of competing for the state championship. Will I be able to compete at the D-3 level of tennis

alb1
02-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Check out the web page for Huntingdon in Montgomery, see if you know any of their players. If close enough to you drive over and check out one of their matches. That should give you an idea of your chances.

JakeRicardyau11
02-12-2009, 02:52 PM
thanks man, I will definitely do that, I am wanting to play for the University of Chicago in college though(hopefully I get in) is there a big difference in the level of play in the here in Alabama as compared to Chicago

alb1
02-13-2009, 06:54 AM
University of Chicago is a nationally ranked D3 program. They are an elite team with many 3 star rated players so they are going to be a lot better than most D3 teams you see in the country.