PDA

View Full Version : Finding it hard to generate control on forehand

maratsafin5
02-10-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm currently using the Rebel 95(8th racket in 6 months), and although it is hard to say what I'm doing wrong because I don't have a video up, please give me some advice. I hit flat, but I expect very good control from a racket with a 95" frame.

LeeD
02-10-2009, 03:56 PM
How tight strings, what kind?
Loose strings can make the ball fly all over the map, with good pace:):)
Tight strings, usually the ball goes in the direction you aimed, but maybe short and slow.
What is tight and what is loose? Loose is out of control. Too tight is no power.
And all 95 rackets are not the same. Some stiff, some really soft. Flat hitters get more control with softy's. Huge spin guys get more control with stiffer frames.

maratsafin5
02-10-2009, 04:03 PM
I think it's around 65 with LaserFibre Prostock. However, I don't want to blame my performance on the strings, because I hit very few backhands out.

LeeD
02-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Hate to say.... let's see a vid.
Could be you don't turn shoulders on takeback.
Could be you hit openstanced only.
Could be your grip is just off.
Could be your vision is better on the backhand side.
Could be more things than anyone can ever imagine:):)

maratsafin5
02-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Hate to say.... let's see a vid.
Could be you don't turn shoulders on takeback.
Could be you hit openstanced only.
Could be your grip is just off.
Could be your vision is better on the backhand side.
Could be more things than anyone can ever imagine:):)

Will try to get one, but for the meantime: yes, I do hit openstanced 95% of the time.

LeeD
02-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Hitting open stance is not necessarily bad, but it requires hitting lots of tennis balls, great hand eye, and a full replicated follow thru EACH and EVERY stroke.
So basically, it works, but it's harder to be really consistent than a more closed or semi closed stance, which promotes a longer contact point when the rackeface meets the ball.
Note that almost EVERY pro hits openstanced on lotsa groundies. Note that most pros try to close their stance on putaways and passing shots, hard angles, and hard shots.

maratsafin5
02-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Hitting open stance is not necessarily bad, but it requires hitting lots of tennis balls, great hand eye, and a full replicated follow thru EACH and EVERY stroke.
So basically, it works, but it's harder to be really consistent than a more closed or semi closed stance, which promotes a longer contact point when the rackeface meets the ball.
Note that almost EVERY pro hits openstanced on lotsa groundies. Note that most pros try to close their stance on putaways and passing shots, hard angles, and hard shots.

Correct, but I am only hitting open stanced during rallies, where the ball is flying on me.

LeeD
02-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Look, you just solved your forehand problem without expensive coaching!
You can pay me when you make PRO someday:):)

maratsafin5
02-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Look, you just solved your forehand problem without expensive coaching!
You can pay me when you make PRO someday:):)

Haha what? How did I solve my problem?

LeeD
02-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Er....
Are you even reading yours and my posts?
SOMEONE, please help this poor tennis player !!!!:confused::confused:

maratsafin5
02-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Er....
Are you even reading yours and my posts?
SOMEONE, please help this poor tennis player !!!!:confused::confused:

Yes, I am thoroughly reading everything. Please explain....

LeeD
02-10-2009, 04:56 PM
"I hit flat"....
That says it all. To hit flat, you gotta turn shoulders and close your stance, not like any current top pro. Your cont or eastern forehand grip forces you to close your stance, to lengthen your contact points, for more control.
Hitting openstanced is only for SW and W grip players.
If you insist on hitting openstanced, try slicing to control the depth.