PDA

View Full Version : Potiential threat by new players. High school level

superslam
02-10-2009, 05:01 PM
My high school tryouts are coming up and I felt pretty sure to play at least in the top 3-4 seeds. This new guy comes by and completley blasts forehands with topspin and is consistent too. I'm not that bad at rallying but can find it difficult to stay in rallies with this guy.

He's not that well at net and doesnt bend his knees most of the time at low balls. His serves arent that consistent and lack pace.

What strategy could you give me to undermine the topspin ball this guys sends to me to keep me in the rallies?

LeeD
02-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Slice him low and angled crosscourt, especially to his stronger topspin side.
Drop shot, then plan to high lob him over his backhand side.
When you serve to him, if he blasts your hard serves, then just slice out wide to him, and plan on slicing a crosscourt low ball to make him run and dig.
He probably wants to hit against other high, topspin balls. Give him some, but less than 40% if possible. You can dink flat, slice low, drop shot, moonball, just change it up.
Don't give him first strike capability with a short ball in the middle of the court. YOU have to make him run and dig for every ball.

superslam
02-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Slice him low and angled crosscourt, especially to his stronger topspin side.
Drop shot, then plan to high lob him over his backhand side.
When you serve to him, if he blasts your hard serves, then just slice out wide to him, and plan on slicing a crosscourt low ball to make him run and dig.
He probably wants to hit against other high, topspin balls. Give him some, but less than 40% if possible. You can dink flat, slice low, drop shot, moonball, just change it up.
Don't give him first strike capability with a short ball in the middle of the court. YOU have to make him run and dig for every ball.

Thanks those were good sugestions.

Okazaki Fragment
02-11-2009, 05:38 PM
My high school tryouts are coming up and I felt pretty sure to play at least in the top 3-4 seeds. This new guy comes by and completley blasts forehands with topspin and is consistent too. I'm not that bad at rallying but can find it difficult to stay in rallies with this guy.

He's not that well at net and doesnt bend his knees most of the time at low balls. His serves arent that consistent and lack pace.

What strategy could you give me to undermine the topspin ball this guys sends to me to keep me in the rallies?

A lot of high school players with big foreheads regulary dump high, topsin shoulder level shots into the net. At least I did. YMMV.

oneguy21
02-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Short slices to his forehand, aggressive returns.

superslam
02-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Short slices to his forehand, aggressive returns.

so short slices to his forehand and agressive returns meaning topspin (western grip or semi western?)

does a follow through for a western grip end at your left shoulder? so like take your racquet back and brush from a down to up motion?

LeeD
02-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Don't think he meant aggressive as topspin with any kind of SW or W grip.
Slice HARD to the open court! Aim down the line low and skidded. Just for fun, hit one right at him. That kind of aggressive.

superslam
02-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Don't think he meant aggressive as topspin with any kind of SW or W grip.
Slice HARD to the open court! Aim down the line low and skidded. Just for fun, hit one right at him. That kind of aggressive.

haha, hitting one at an opponent at the net is my specialty :)

Voltron
02-11-2009, 07:44 PM

Hey hey hey, I'm great at the net, what are you talking about? And the serve? Well I just got my wrist out of a cast a month ago, so don't be hatin'...

dave333
02-11-2009, 07:52 PM
It will be quite difficult against a hard hitter, since during matches, peopel tend to hit a lot of groundstrokes. You need to capitalize on your returns and your serves. Since his serve is supposed to be average or not even, you really need to make sure you can make aggressive returns (just no free points; that is the worst thing you can do), and just make sure the guy doesn't get comfortable. For first serves, make sure you at least get them back. For second serves, make sure you get them back aggressivly. Make sure you get most of your first serves in. Easier said than done obviously, but that is at least half the battle.

If he isn't bending much, it probably indicates his footwork isn't that great either, so focus on moving the ball around. Don't try to hit with too much pace; just relax and just try deflecting his power back around. Definitely mix it up against someone that doesn't move their feet too much; short topspin shots, deep topspin shots, slices, moving it around a bit (you don't want to actively move it around too much). The easiest way to mix it up is just by manipulating depth and spin, so focus on changing those.

Nellie
02-12-2009, 12:27 PM
You have some good advice - do not try to outhit someone with bigger strokes than you. It seems obvious, but every guy wants to be the king.

It sounds like you can move around this guy by feeding angled slices/flat drives.

If the height of his spin gives you trouble. step back and take the ball at a comfortable height. If you really get down, start sending the moon balls - most high school kids cannot hit decent overheads and will fold after missing a couple. Also, step in and push his serve around. If he is shaky already, you can add some tension to his game by forcing him to serve better.