PDA

View Full Version : Reduce shanking

OvertheFence
02-10-2009, 06:25 PM
I have a problem with framing alot of shots now and then, even on first serves. Im pretty sure I was focused on the ball when I frame. Even when I focus on the ball and have the mindset, "ok, I will NOT frame this ball", I frame it somehow. Any tips ^^?

AlphaCDjkr
02-10-2009, 06:43 PM
You might not have a stable stroke. Your wrist snap may be to loose and lazy, you might be flailing rather than swinging, you might be throwing your body into the shot without control, anything can be of blame.

Try to stand perfectly still and just attempt to return shots directed at you without framing. If you still frame even while performing a slow, easy swing, it may indicate that it might not exactly be about your arm or the stroke: perhaps your coordination may be off.

Try breaking down your strokes into its simpler steps and see just exactly what you can or can't do properly without framing. Then work on it.

By the way, the more you stare at the ball and intentionally force yourself not to frame, the more your swing MAY be influenced negatively... If it isn't natural, don't do it. By telling yourself not to frame, you may tell yourself to hit the ball in a way your body isn't used to it, and thus you may shank it.

tailofdog
02-10-2009, 07:38 PM
I dont try to focus that hard. I just try to make sure i hit the ball in the center of my racquet on contact. That is all i try to do and i am playing with a 95sq in racquet (at the moment) I rarely frame a ball.
See if it works for you

10s talk
02-10-2009, 08:12 PM
just watch the ball .5 second longer

when you look away from the ball early it changes the trajectory of your swing, and you frame the ball

FWIW........... speaking from personal experience, I used to do it all the time

150mph_
02-10-2009, 08:17 PM
you know what's. Worse than shanking? Missing it completely ;)

OvertheFence
02-10-2009, 08:21 PM

nah, then id do a backflip + a tweener combo :)

AlphaCDjkr
02-10-2009, 08:54 PM
nah, then id do a backflip + a tweener combo :)

Smells a little like pot to me.

LeeD
02-11-2009, 06:56 AM
Replicate much more....
I suspect you haven't hit for very long.
On serves, most good players hit serves twice a week, at least 50 each time, in ADDITION to their normal practice, and their normal match play.
It's possible it's a technique thing, but can't tell without seeing you hit.

Commando Tennis Shorts
02-11-2009, 10:14 PM

Actually did this last tournament. One of the first times in my life. I was so focused on serving up a few more aces that I forgot to bring the ball along for the ride :) Won't make that mistake again. haha. how embarrassing...Well anyway, I have nothing else to contribute to this conversation

mikeler
02-12-2009, 04:46 AM
just watch the ball .5 second longer

when you look away from the ball early it changes the trajectory of your swing, and you frame the ball

FWIW........... speaking from personal experience, I used to do it all the time

I'm a 5.0 and hit quite a few shanks and frame shots mainly off my heavy topspin forehand, but sometimes on other shots too. If I keep my eyes on the ball just a little bit longer, I almost always hit it clean.

Djokovicfan4life
02-12-2009, 04:55 AM
Yeah, keep the head still through impact. It's possible to rotate the body 180 degrees without even moving it, so there's no excuse for jerking it around.

Matt

Sublime
02-12-2009, 05:22 AM
Will from FYB has a tip that's useful on topspin forehands. Try to frame the ball on the leading edge of the racket. If you focus on this as you begin to swing towards contact you'll make clean contact. The reason is that your racket face will naturally open up in your strike zone.

Sometimes I like to think of the handle extending into a bat instead of a racket face. It's easy to forget that the goal is to hit the middle of the strings when you're trying to attack the ball at steep angles.

drakulie
02-12-2009, 06:22 AM
you may be trying to put too much topspin on your shots. Your brushing of the ball from low to high may be the root cause, and if you are trying to "snap you wrist" thru the stroke, this may also be causing this. You need to have a steady wrist thru contact, and let it release naturally which happens after the ball has left the strings. There are so many reasons this could be happening, there is no way of knowing without actually seeing you hit the ball.

good luck.