PDA

View Full Version : you've gotta be kiding me!

sk8ing
02-10-2009, 07:31 PM
okay so a few days ago someone(this person is kinda odd) asked me to string his racquet with full luxilon at 70 ibs(CRazy i know!!) but right when im about to start stringing they call and ask for 65 ibs instead. im fine with this and proceed to string the racquet.
when i give it to the he seemed happy.

but the next day....
he told me the string job was sh*t
and when i asked why he said it was too loose and demanded a free stringing of luxilon and gut but the person is way older and bigger then me so i was forced to say yes.

there other racquet i strung the day before with there usual tension was fine tho...

but no worries
im about to proceed stringing it at 80ibs with cyberflash and sensation(rubbing of the labels of course) :twisted:

Drewwonu
02-10-2009, 07:34 PM
I hope his frame warps

game set match 46 TIMES!!
02-10-2009, 07:35 PM
okay so a few days ago someone(this person is kinda odd) asked me to string his racquet with full luxilon at 70 ibs(CRazy i know!!) but right when im about to start stringing they call and ask for 65 ibs instead. im fine with this and proceed to string the racquet.
when i give it to the he seemed happy.

but the next day....
he told me the string job was sh*t
and when i asked why he said it was too loose and demanded a free stringing of luxilon and gut but the person is way older and bigger then me so i was forced to say yes.

there other racquet i strung the day before with there usual tension was fine tho...

but no worries
im about to proceed stringing it at 80ibs with cyberflash and sensation(rubbing of the labels of course) :twisted:

Where were you when he demanded a free refund?

Storm_Kyori
02-10-2009, 07:35 PM
That freaking weird. Did he sign a receipt or something? I mean if he called and asked to change it, I think he should have taken it as is. Not your fault it was too loose for him. LMAO if he says anything though it will be your fault this time, but have fun with that and post his reactions.

The_Question
02-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Well, first, don't string for someone who's kinda odd, way older, and bigger than you...

Second, I strung my Lux BBOR @ 70lbs, it's fine for a few weeks, then it went dead...

Third, tell him to get lost...

sk8ing
02-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Well, first, don't string for someone who's kinda odd, way older, and bigger than you...

Second, I strung my Lux BBOR @ 70lbs, it's fine for a few weeks, then it went dead...

Third, tell him to get lost...

that'll be hard considering hes my new clubs junior program director(even tho im leaving)

todot62
02-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Another great reason to purchase an ERT300.

Tod

sk8ing
02-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Another great reason to purchase an ERT300.

Tod

hey, can u give me a link for one of these please

Tim W
02-10-2009, 09:42 PM
hey, can u give me a link for one of these please

http://tinyurl.com/ca8ye7

lawlitssoo1n
02-10-2009, 09:46 PM
i would have told him to SUCK IT and back off cuz u didn't do anything wrong, and he were to hurt you, u always have the law behind you

hellonewbie
02-10-2009, 10:40 PM
that'll be hard considering hes my new clubs junior program director(even tho im leaving)

He's a director and he's too cheap to pay for strings?

vndesu
02-10-2009, 10:44 PM
1) tell him hes weak bc i string mines at like 72+
2) if he wants to be a jerk about the string job tell him to go to someone else.
3) if he was a real man he wouldnt blame the strings.

i say dont even string it

Bud
02-11-2009, 01:05 AM
He's a typical bully. Tell him to go fly a kite.

The_Question
02-11-2009, 06:35 AM
http://tinyurl.com/ca8ye7

God, that thing is $180! I'll just get a cheap Gamma instead...

topspin
02-11-2009, 07:34 AM
Tell him to stop being a bully and to string his own racquets if he wants them strung at above the manufacturers' recommended tension. Don't get intimidated by big bullies. Unless he's stoned, he won't hurt you because he knows you did nothing wrong.

GPB
02-11-2009, 09:25 AM
I mean... he asked you to lower the tension, and then he didn't like it. I fail to see where you did anything wrong.

drakulie
02-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Should have told him you did string it at 70.

tennisfreak15347
02-11-2009, 11:36 AM
u use the SP Maestro, right?

hoodjem
02-11-2009, 11:55 AM
they call and ask for 65 ibs instead. im fine with this and proceed to string the racquet.

You gave him what he asked for. If he does not like it, it's his fault and responsibility--not yours.

All you can do is what your customers ask for.

sk8ing
02-11-2009, 05:52 PM
u use the SP Maestro, right?

yea good machine

sk8ing
02-11-2009, 05:54 PM
i know its sad
i mostly string racquets as a favor too
wutever i still gotta respect my elders... :?

Alafter
02-11-2009, 08:12 PM
i know its sad

Are you the manager of the shop?

Okazaki Fragment
02-11-2009, 10:01 PM
i know its sad

I wouldn't have pushed the issue but I would I have at least mentioned it. 'You called me and told me that you wanted a lower tension. Do you still want a refund?'

Bud
02-12-2009, 04:21 AM
Tell him to stop being a bully and to string his own racquets if he wants them strung at above the manufacturers' recommended tension. Don't get intimidated by big bullies. Unless he's stoned, he won't hurt you because he knows you did nothing wrong.

If he's stoned... he'll want to eat you, not beat you :twisted:

jmverdugo
02-12-2009, 04:43 AM
I guess it is not your first string job for other people, but in any case, sometimes it is not a bad idea to increase the requested tension a couple of pounds, specially if you have a dropweight machine and flying clamps. Very few people will come back and tell you it is to tight, it will make them look like sissys ;)

gflyer
02-12-2009, 06:09 AM
If I understand correctly you don't charge him for the stringing, but you do it just as a favor. Is that correct?
In that case you should ALWAYS clearly say BEFORE stringing that you are not responsible if the he doesn't like the stringjob.
That's what I do. And that's why I don't charge people. They want a free string job, but they give away the right to complain.
It's not fair to you. You already are giving away your time for free. Now you have to string again and pay out of your pocket for new strings.
You should kindly make your point with the guy. Just say that because he is so "picky" you don't want to string his racquet any more or he should agree to take the stringing as-is.

sk8ing
02-12-2009, 12:53 PM
well my mom figured out and talked to the club manager whos his boss

turns out he had brain sugery to take out a tumor a year ago and is still considerd mentally unstable and takes medication
he said theres been lots of complains because the person is known to go crazy
he's also not allowed in tournaments because he goes crazy and tried to hurt an opponent once...

his boss said sorry and is giving me the string and 10$ to give to him and get his racquet strung somewere else

sk8ing
02-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Are you the manager of the shop?

no im only 13 but i own a stringer and i play alot of adult doubles tournaments and just string my partners racquets and stuff

im also just got a job stringing racquets for a friend who ownes a sport shop

Fay
02-12-2009, 01:04 PM
no im only 13 but i own a stringer and i play alot of adult doubles tournaments and just string my partners racquets and stuff

Good for you and don't do anyone's racquet unless they PAY you for it !

And if they call and talk to you like that, refund 'em and don't do it again.

It is hard to believe how people will talk to people who want them to do work for them. And for free? some nerve:rolleyes:

tennisfreak15347
02-12-2009, 02:02 PM
maybe because you're using the SP Maestro, it is a lock-out machine. which means it will string about 10% looser than a regular constant pull machine. Also, do you calibrate it often?

sk8ing
02-12-2009, 06:53 PM
maybe because you're using the SP Maestro, it is a lock-out machine. which means it will string about 10% looser than a regular constant pull machine. Also, do you calibrate it often?

i string an extra 10% to acoomodate this
calibrate it ALL the time

Alafter
02-12-2009, 07:23 PM

sk8ing

When things like this happen, you need to tell them 3 things.

1) String job was done as per request without any mistakes. Feel deviates from one person to another, and you regret that it does not suit his taste.

2) You regret that you do not have the authority to compensate customers using the shop's assets.

3) However in the event that the customer still seek compensation, you will more than happy to raise the issue to the manager ASAP. You feel his concern is an important one.
**Remember to try to retain his racquet if he brought it in. Your manager can use this against the customer**
Under pressure, repeat 2 and find way to contact manager immediately.

Be adamant in your answer, but polite and somewhat meek, and make no decision. Don't feel you need to resolve this yourself.

Remember the scope of your responsibilities, authority and liabilities--and the answer is clear as to what you should do. I have been working for a few years now, and I have learnt that leveraging the responsibilities of others I work with is a very powerful tool.

Also remember that you should not have to pay, or have to risk having to pay, out of your own pocket.