PDA

View Full Version : Strings in cold weather

drewski711
02-10-2009, 08:31 PM
I just started playing tennis again last spring after not playing for a number of years. I don't have regular access to indoor courts regularly and find myself playing outside during the winter months. As a result, I'm playing in weather that I used to think I'd never play in (I've actually played while some light snow was coming down). I'm thinking the temperature must affect the characteristics of the strings (I know it affects the balls) In general, does anyone know what type of strings are less apt to change with temperature changes or is there little difference between them.

dugger5688
03-31-2009, 01:31 PM
Yes, weather certainly affects string characteristics. I find that anything less than about 65 makes playing with many poly strings a nightmare, even loosening up the tension won't fix poor elasticity and just results in flying balls.

In extremely low temperatures, a soft synthetic gut will minimize the bad feeling during the cold. For me I always find that the hotter it gets, the better strings play, which makes sense b/c they are designed to be used in a summer sport were temperatures are 80+.