PDA

View Full Version : Comments on groundstrokes pls (vid)

Yoh
02-10-2009, 11:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YcHwTpc1p8

Sorry for the !@#$ quality editing... pls bear with it.

I feel like my groundstrokes should be coming out more penetrating... but for some reason, they are not...

Ive realized one thing with my backhands... it tends to be a really fast swing and my footing is a little weird... coming up =\

Solat
02-10-2009, 11:49 PM
contact point on the forehand looked further forward later in the vid and the stroke looked better as a result

backhand i dont like your grip but what alarms me more is your lack of extension thru the stroke, this will be a very strong influence in the penetration of your stroke

Tomek_tennis
02-11-2009, 12:33 AM
I like your groundstrokes. You can be a little bit more agressive with balls like this. If you've got time step into the court, and really pivot on that front leg, so that your back legs comes tou your front and you push of that leg to recover. You do that sometimes, but it looks like something you have to to, not like something you want to do. Know what I mean? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zaq2hCGahc4&feature=channel_page

Djokovicfan4life
02-11-2009, 01:33 AM
Footwork: Some solid fundamentals here, but you don't move very explosively to some balls and you take too many little adjustments steps when it's unnecessary. Get set up before the ball bounces, whenever possible.

Shoulder rotation: You need much more on your forehand. Think 180 degrees or more if you have the luxury of doing so. Right now you use too much arm and it's wasting energy and potential racquet head speed.

Backhand: Pretty nice, but you sell yourself short on the follow-through and it's not giving you enough rotation. Remember to finish the stroke with the elbows and buttcap pointing towards your target.

Matt

LeeD
02-11-2009, 06:46 AM
As said above.
But penetrating shots have to be either/AND, hit hard, or hit consistently really deep. That's is just practice and more energy.

Tomek_tennis
02-11-2009, 07:01 AM
These are some good directions. I just want to say that these things come with hours spend on court and faster balls. I mean, that if an intermediate players takes bigger swing, his controll decreases...

Best what you can do is:
- play a lot
- have fun with some with med balls
- work on footwork -> this is a big one
- strenghten your left hand by playing left hand FH (with shorter grip)

Slicendicer
02-11-2009, 07:07 AM
What grip is your right hand on the BH? SW? Do you have problem driving the ball on the BH?

I prefer a continental grip the BH and letting the left arm drive through the ball, as opposed to the right hand pulling through the ball.

LeeD
02-11-2009, 09:23 AM
I forgot to mention that I like your strokes, but they are not yet grooved thru hours and hours of repetition.
When you get more hours of hitting, you learn to prepare quicker or earlier or both, especially against harder hitters and deeper balls.
You have good strokes.
I'd like to see your forehand stroke, when you open your shoulders, to do it later, so maybe keep closed longer. Other than that, you are on your way to any level you want to get to.... strokes NOT the limiting factor.
Nothing wrong with your backhand.... it's unconventionally quick and jumpy, but who knows, it works for you. If you have a problem with it, besides right now's inconsistency, try keeping your legs more apart and static, whether in the air or planted on the ground.

Yoh
02-11-2009, 12:36 PM
oh wow... ive always told myself i hold my BH continental... but i just looked at it again and its a few degrees to the western side actually...

and yea... i use more of my right arm... should i change that?

and i guess forehand could use some more shoulder as suggested... and hit in front... (mental note)

O.O

LeeD
02-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Don't change something that is working well, is consistent, and is strong.
Change stuff that is NOT working, working badly, or is weak.
How do YOU think your backhand is working?
Actual grip is esoteric...... just an excercise in theory. What matters is how it works.

Yoh
02-11-2009, 01:31 PM
im actually not satisfied with my backhand right now (not really satisfied with anything reallly -.-)

on good days, it has great control, but not much drive... i guess ill try something new next time on court

LeeD
02-11-2009, 02:06 PM
You don't have consistent strong drive because your strokes are not yet grooved. Not anything wrong with your technique that hitting 3,000 balls can't solve.
I wouldn't recommend changing anything. Just hit more balls first.