PDA

View Full Version : Continental FH

paulfreda
02-11-2009, 03:55 AM
Anyone out there play with a Continental FH grip ?

Just how do you keep the ball in the court ??

I try closing the face but get very inconsistent results.

I play with a SW but like to learn new shots.
The Continental FH grip is very tough.
Low balls are not to difficult as the face is naturally open
makiong it easy to lift the ball over the net.
But at waist height it almost demands cutting the ball.

I would appreciate any tips.
Thank you in advance for any advice on this shot.

LeeD
02-11-2009, 06:36 AM
Waist high balls, you gotta turn not only the shoulders FULLY, but you also gotta gets those feet turned. Much more than eastern, and very little openstanced, openshoulder hitting, unless you slice or sidespin.
Higher, some slice, some sidespin, some jump to get taller.
The stroke itself can be a simple vert face prep and forward swing while slowly closing the face after ball contact, until the hitting face faces the ground.
Some employ short strokes, like McEnroe.
Other's employ REALLY long strokes, like AndrianoPanatta, TomOkker, Laver.
Most continental forehand players, to be successful, need to be tall, strong, or extremely athletic.... se Goolagong.

tennisdad65
02-11-2009, 08:15 AM
Do not try closing the face. Keep it vertical and follow through high after contact to get the topspin. You are not gonna get tons of topspin, and you have to aim lower over the net compared to other grips. But you can drive it hard and deep. Closing your stance as LeeD pointed out above is very important.

The percentages are against you doing this consistently from the baseline (unless you are connors/mac etc..), compared to other grips, so a good transistion / net game is absolutely a must. i.e. getting to the net asap is a big priority if you are using continental anything these days.

For high balls, I prefer to close the face very slightly and rip it flat for a winner/error, or get to the net. No topspin needed at all on high balls. Sampras used to rip high balls very flat with his eastern grip.

I feel that a very flexible racquet does help to generate lots of topspin while still driving through the ball for low/medium height balls.. in my racquet collection, copper ace >> POG and others in this regard..

LeeD
02-11-2009, 08:58 AM
My 3rd "paragraph".... pertains to semi closing the face AFTER contact with the ball....not during or before. The after contact closing insures a consistent swing, much like a golfer turns over on the follow thru to insure a consistent swing, like a baseball player also. Basically, it just means you have to produce a long follow thru after contact.

LeeD
02-11-2009, 09:01 AM
My 3rd "paragraph".... pertains to semi closing the face AFTER contact with the ball....not during or before. The after contact closing insures a consistent swing, much like a golfer turns over on the follow thru to insure a consistent swing, like a baseball player also. Basically, it just means you have to produce a long follow thru after contact.
Some fellow continental forehand players actually completely close the racketface on the followthrus.
Continental can produce massive topspin, look at TomOkker and Nastase, Panatta, and some others.
But I switched to SW forehands by 1988.