PDA

View Full Version : Stringers: Things that irritate you

eagle
02-11-2009, 05:29 AM
I only string for myself and my family but I thought I'd ask what irritates other stringers about stringing or anything related to it.

Things that irritate me most are not necessarily the act of stringing. I actually enjoy that. What irritates me is folks who have never strung before or don't know anything about stringing who are quick to judge about strings, tension, or string quality. One that gets me is when someone picks up a newly strung racquet and says the strings are too loose because of the sound or the movement or the give when he pushes on it. Rigggght.

I'd be interested what other stringers' peeves are.

r,
eagle

ihearit1st
02-11-2009, 05:54 AM
Those who complain about pricing, and then say they've been thinking about buying their own machine and doing it themselves, even though they have no experience. Better yet, that's funny, not annoying.

Customers who need new grommets, but don't want to buy them.

People who complain about the Wilson stencil being red. A lot of our competitors stencil it black, even though its supposed to be red, so they're suprised when we do it correctly.

People who don't pick their frames up for a week, then say its loose. This also works for those who need a rush done, then don't come back for days.

Dirty nasty grips- I don't want to touch those. I usually put a paper towel around them.

People who get mad that I cut off their rubberband. I can't re-tie those. They're .02, get another one.

Heavy hitters who want a refund after a week when their strings break right in the middle, and the crosses are really frayed...

Parents complaining that the strings don't last long enough, even though they request 17 gauge syn gut in a 16 x 18 pattern. I get this all the time. They don't want to change racquets or strings, yet I'm supposed to make it last longer.

Oh, and little sticky kids that crowd your machine.

zidane339
02-11-2009, 05:54 AM
Ignorant people that think higher tension=more power and thus want to string polys in the sixties.

the wise wizard
02-11-2009, 06:01 AM
people who ask for they're racquet to get strung at 55 and say its too loose when they pick it up.

people who want a refund when they're strings break on the outside of the frame, and when i tell them to get new head guards they dont get one.

people that drop off racquets and never come to get them, we had a dunlop revelation that was at our club for probably 4 months.

mikeler
02-11-2009, 06:05 AM
In the far away future when I retire, I planned on stringing rackets for fun and some extra money. Now I'm rethinking this plan...:-?

jefferson
02-11-2009, 06:23 AM
Seriously I cant stand the filthy grips!!
Players who want syn gut but then complain that they move too much.
People who want me to pick up or drop off.
People who think 2 days is too long.
People who complain that the poly has lost its tension.
Never want to invest in a new grommet. or when they finally do expect me to install for free.
etc etc etc

But I really do like to string.

chrisplchs
02-11-2009, 06:39 AM
Certain American players that drop of their 2+ players 30 minutes before their match starts

jefferson
02-11-2009, 07:21 AM
Certain American players that drop of their 2+ players 30 minutes before their match starts

Do you string for the pros? If so can we know who you are talking about? Just being curious!! 30 minutes is cutting it close, gotta hussle your arse off!

jim e
02-11-2009, 08:10 AM
How about blamming you for a job that you did not even do
OK this is a true story from years ago, 70-71 era. One of our team members told me that a knot came undone on a racquet that I recently strung. I told him to bring it back and I will redo it. When he brought it back, the frame looked the same, the strings were the same,(back then there were few string choices), but the knots were different what I tie. I was taught a knot back in 68 that the old timer taught me and said no one else uses it,that it was a good knot to tie and would distinguish my job from all others.(They now call that knot the Parnell). This racquet only had single hitches.
When I asked him if he had another racquet with the same strings, he said he had 4 of them. I showed him my racquets knots,and told him thats all I use, that if he goes home and checks he will find that he has another with a different knot. He came back was all sorry, and that that racquet came from a place out of town,but said he did not know which was my job,and assumed it was what I did,and from that point gave me all his racquets. I always remembered that day even though it was a long time ago.

Pro Staff Pete
02-11-2009, 08:21 AM
- nasty grips
- when people think their poly is strung 'so loose'
- not telling you when they need their racquet back and when you meet them (out of the blue at the tennis club e.g.) complain that you didn't bring their racquet
- making comments about my machine (while they've never strung a racquet in their life)

Tombhoneb
02-11-2009, 08:50 AM
I have to agree with nasty grips.

The worst racket i have been given had a grip with blood all over it !!!

t0nym4c
02-11-2009, 09:42 AM
I hate stringing O3s! I also hate it when people criticize a string job based on the outer strings on either side of the racket complaining that they are too loose, when reality if they are hitting the ball with those strings they are have more problems than just loose ends if you know what I mean. :evil:

themitchmann
02-11-2009, 09:45 AM
-Nasty grips
-When people don't pick up their racquets in a timely fashion (and I have to carry them around with me in my bag)
-People who don't pay me on time

scotus
02-11-2009, 10:30 AM
How about blamming you for a job that you did not even do
OK this is a true story from years ago, 70-71 era. One of our team members told me that a knot came undone on a racquet that I recently strung. I told him to bring it back and I will redo it. When he brought it back, the frame looked the same, the strings were the same,(back then there were few string choices), but the knots were different what I tie. I was taught a knot back in 68 that the old timer taught me and said no one else uses it,that it was a good knot to tie and would distinguish my job from all others.(They now call that knot the Parnell). This racquet only had single hitches.
When I asked him if he had another racquet with the same strings, he said he had 4 of them. I showed him my racquets knots,and told him thats all I use, that if he goes home and checks he will find that he has another with a different knot. He came back was all sorry, and that that racquet came from a place out of town,but said he did not know which was my job,and assumed it was what I did,and from that point gave me all his racquets. I always remembered that day even though it was a long time ago.

So this actually turned into something positive.

YULitle
02-11-2009, 11:38 AM
All of the aforementioned +

People who ask, "what's a good string?" or, even worse, "what's the best string?" :rolleyes:

People who ask, "what string has the most power AND control?"

People who insist on a discount because they are a part of organization XYZ...

Other stringers with terrible habits: you know who you are...

Parts of any machine that appear to be designed specifically for the sole purpose of catching string.

An unclean machine

Seeing other stringer's unclean machines

People that leave their racquets in their car trunk (outside.)

People that, after being handed their freshly strung racquet, immediately pull the last main to the side and mutter some ignorant tripe about how loose it is.

People who think they can string their racquet up once a year, play with it twice a week and STILL EXPECT a crisp string job the whole year round.

mikeler
02-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Parts of any machine that appear to be designed specifically for the sole purpose of catching string.

Amen brother.

Chris De Tone
02-11-2009, 11:47 AM
These are all really good...and true! For myself, it has to be "this was just strung and the strings are already moving". Yeah, and these are people with oversize frames, open patterns and using a multifilament. If you don't want your strings to move, play with a frying pan!

Luminous
02-11-2009, 12:12 PM

People who ask, "what's a good string?" or, even worse, "what's the best string?" :rolleyes:

People that, after being handed their freshly strung racquet, immediately pull the last main to the side and mutter some ignorant tripe about how loose it is.

People who think they can string their racquet up once a year, play with it twice a week and STILL EXPECT a crisp string job the whole year round.

Agree with you on those one's!!

william7gr
02-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Woops, I used to just give my racquet to the stringer with whatever grip I was using. :D

Now that I string my own I dont have to worry about it :D

DizBoiDanny
02-11-2009, 03:51 PM
So we have a stringer at the school and i believe I'M the only one that strings correctly.
- People who string bottom to top(I told them it is bad and i told them one of the ATW way, but they said **** you)
- People who think they can string and end up missing a hole.
- People who think they can string fast when they string a racket in an hr.
- People that tell me the strings are to loose when THEY NEVER TOLD ME WHAT TENSION.
- People who told me that "my poly is loose and my crosses are to high"
- When their racket pop and they blame me when they FRAME that shot.
- When freshman get K factors, Microgel, Babolats, any updated racket.
- When they ask what strings i'm using
- When the freshman use poly when they never pop strings.

diredesire
02-11-2009, 03:53 PM

An unclean machine

I'm generally a very laid back guy, but when string catches on my machine(s), i can go a little bezerk. I just hate how string catches on EVERY SINGLE THING E:ALDJF:DJ:KLFJADFJA:FJ:OAEJEKFJADF!!!

I'm also a little particular about how my machine is set up, the gamma ESII+ tray is tiny (eh, YUL?), so I had to add on a tooth brush holder suction cup to the side for more organization.

As far as other stringers with bad habits, it bugs me a little bit when people do things that aren't "technically correct," but I'll keep my mouth shut for the most part.

wally
02-11-2009, 03:59 PM
As for the NASTY grips ---

Get a box of the latex gloves food service or medical professionals use - If you've got a latex allergy they do come latex free.

I purchse overgrips in bulk and always install a fresh overgrip when I'm done stringing. Doesn't cost that much extra and the folks I string fro really appreciate it. Then when they come back I just take off the nasty overgrip throw away the overgip & the gloves. If its really bad I'll use a bit of hand sanitizer. If the actual grip is quite nasty I'll explain to them or their mother or girlfriend about the high probability of bacteria etc.. and usually end up selling a grip.

You can get a box of the latex gloves food service or medical professionals use at any Drug Store - If you've got a latex allergy they do come latex free.

As for pet peeves -
You buy a new racquet have me string it with poly at a high tension and then complain about how badly the racquet plays. Stiff racquet + stiff string at high tension = 2x4 & the 2x4 will have more feel.

Radical Shot
02-11-2009, 05:35 PM

Arrrgggh! Yes!

- Also, people that haven't had a re-string for years and are playing with an over-sized, trampoline of a granny stick and want to get a re-string to get some tension back, and then complain that the (normal) tension is waaay too stiff.

- People with tennis elbow, shoulder or wrist complaints that insist on stringing with poly at high tension, or who are playing with a poly that died 3 years ago, but won't re-string, because it aint broke yet!

- Kinks in natural gut.

- When a string slips through the clamp

- When you unpack a perfectly tidy set of string and it immediately turns into a tangled birdsnest that takes 10 minutes to sort out.

forehand2theface
02-11-2009, 06:04 PM
i hate opening a package of poly because its like someone packed a high powered spring in there. also, i can't stand a misweave. but the worst is when i had my old machine and it didn't secure the frame tightly and it always slipped

eagle
02-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Here's a few more:

Folks who
- insist that powerpads add power. :)
- swear by a specific dampener because it really absorbs the vibration

About stringing
- cutting too short of a string from a reel and having to be clever and resourceful to make the last pull and tie off.
- agree with yulittle on areas on the machine that catch the string
- parnell knot not quite perfect

r,
eagle

drakulie
02-11-2009, 06:22 PM

So, Yulitle..... what *is* the "best string" for power and control?? :)

It just irritates me when people say they could feel the difference within a lb. :roll:

Cup8489
02-11-2009, 07:12 PM
- kinks in natural gut (the WORST!)

- high school JV players who think they can hit with as much spin (and thus warrant poly) as nadal, then come back and complain about how it's not very good string.

-Varsity players who ask for the Fed setup (NG main, Poly crosses) and then ask why the string went bad when they played in the rain (i wonder?)

- Big Bubba frames

-when high school coach brings me 8 frames at 3 pm to be strung for a 4 pm home meet. yeah, ok.

-people who want 'nadal's string' and then say Pro Hurricane is really stiff.

-topspin players who insist on 18 gauge duraflex and then hound me for a refund when they break in 4 hours

-when a person foolishly pulls the grommets out of their frame before bringing it to me to be strung (i kinda need those, lol.) and then wonder why i have to charge 5 dollars more than the last string job.

steebo
02-11-2009, 07:35 PM
New players who have just bought string meters
New players who ask what string will make them better, and get offended when I answer. “lessons”

Toxicmilk
02-11-2009, 07:44 PM
I don't string TOO many racquets. Just for a group of around 10 friends and for my HS team of around 25 (reletively small in our area).

-When someone doesn't specify what kind of string he wants,,,or what color. Then complains later about what string I used.

-People who think my clamps are arcade joysticks

-Mothers who blame their child's loss on my stringing.

-People who crowd all around me...almost pushing me while I string.

-Those who come back to me wanting a refund because they found a scratch on a racquet...which I probably didn't make.

-"The string gave me tennis elbow, refund nao"

uk_skippy
02-12-2009, 08:14 AM

Agree to those.

People who've been stringing for a few months on a cheap en drop weight and think they're experts....

...And then go on eb@y trying to sell their service with the lines 'I've strung a 100 rqts. Come back to me when you've done that over a few days at a Slam.

Other stringers who seem to charge way over the top for stringing. I think I charge a good rate. If they have to charge another 50% on top, what extra great service are they offering.

Players who pay the above strings therefore perpetuating the problem.

The fact that my Star 4 won't last forever :-(

People who continually ask 'What string does Nadal use', followed by those who continue to question it saying that the adverts say something else, and also followed by those who post threads asking that question without using the search function on this site. Its there, use it!

Regards

Paul

ODYSSEY Mk.4
02-12-2009, 09:38 AM
people who buy the cheapest string then complain its cheap quality
people who never broke a string complain when it breaks 4 months later
people who want poly then tell me that its not poly
people that demand that they need there stick same day and never pick it up

ajs72us
02-12-2009, 10:23 AM
1. My strings move too much.
2. why do my strings break even though I use 17g string and hit heavy topspin both off the serve and groundstrokes.
3. Shared Holes. I hate them
4. Dirty grips.
5. People who look at me funny when I say I wont string a cracked frame.

jefferson
02-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Yeah Odyssey your totally right on! I NEED my racket strung today! They convince you to go outta your way and then never show up to pick it up!!!

Also agree with when you are in a rush and open a pack and it gets all tangled. There goes the five minutes you were rushing to save!

sk8ing
02-12-2009, 01:40 PM
when somebody askes you to string 5ibs lower than there usual tension then say your job is sh*t and is too loose and demand free stringing with gut mains and lux crosses.
just happened to me...

McLovin
02-12-2009, 01:41 PM
My main pet peeve is stringers who don't straighten the crosses while stringing, resulting in a 'smiley face' look to the crosses. As if you're really getting 60lbs out of that pull...

sk8ing
02-12-2009, 01:45 PM
i know people that stole my customers because they offered them stringing for 3$$$$$$ WTF is there problem, i would have gladly strung for 10$ and given them 3 to **** off

XxduckxX
02-12-2009, 02:02 PM
i know people that stole my customers because they offered them stringing for 3$$$$$$ WTF is there problem, i would have gladly strung for 10$ and given them 3 to **** off

I love you hahahahahahha

Bud
02-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Seriously I cant stand the filthy grips!!
Players who want syn gut but then complain that they move too much.
People who want me to pick up or drop off.
People who think 2 days is too long.
People who complain that the poly has lost its tension.
Never want to invest in a new grommet. or when they finally do expect me to install for free.
etc etc etc

But I really do like to string.

What do you charge to install new grommets?

10nistennis
02-12-2009, 06:09 PM
[B]People who think that cool colors mean that the string is good. I mean really? Some of my customers won't take "natural" or "white" colored strings because they supposedly "look cheap." Um, yea okay. How about I give you some 1 dollar alpha nylon string? It's RED!B]

People who think that very high tension means more power.

Kinking natural gut.

Careless stringers that try to string racquets in like 30 mins, and then find out that misweaved.

Stringers that charge more than $20 labor. I mean, seriously?

Stringers that give their customers dirt cheap strings when the customer says they have no preference.

Customers who insist on paying after they "try out" the strings.

Buddies that ask for free stringing with expensive strings (i.e Technifibre, Luxilon) just because they know me. I mean sure, if you're a beautiful girl, but if you're not...:twisted:

When polys get tangled up when you take them out of their packet. What a pain in the arse.

People who think that 18g is the most durable gauge. Then they come back in two weeks or so when their strings break from heavy topspin play and blame me for poor stringing. Whatever.

Did I mention the people that think that cool colored strings are the best kind of strings?

People that think that if you dress like Nadal (UGH), get his strings (which aren't Pro Hurricane Tour BTW...) get his racquet (Seriously, it doesn't give you more "spin") and copy his forehand, then they will automatically become the best player in the world. Sheesh.:oops: Did I mention that Nadal's wardrobe during the Aussie Open looked absolutely RIDICULOUS?

People that dress in sleeveless shirts even though they have the arms and biceps of a 4 year-old, anorexic girl. Ew.:shock: It's time for BOWFLEX!

People that ask what string is best for slicing balls.

People that say "I need the best string for hitting flat serves over 100mph." Seriously? :confused:

People who idolize Rafael Nadal to the point of obsession.

People who don't know who Pete Sampras (The G.O.A.T) is.

Customers who ask what string is best for their racquet. Okay...

Customers who complain about arm problems when they string their racquet with Red Code at 70lbs.

Bud
02-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Receiving a racquet filled with tubies... which are cracking due to age!

Buy a new grommet set, already :twisted:

the wise wizard
02-12-2009, 08:58 PM
i forgot this one, a guy asked me to string his racquet with prince lightning at like 60 lbs or so. he comes back the next day and says "these strings are too tight" i say that depending on long he went without restringing it might take a little adjustment to get used to the tension. he says "thats okay i talk to one of the other stringers and he stomped on the string bed with his foot a couple of times and said that would help" i wanted to scream at him AND YOU TRUST HIM AND NOT ME?!?!?!?!?!?

lawlitssoo1n
02-12-2009, 09:04 PM
lol wow it must get annoyed cuz of all that. i string rackets for people sometimes(my strings, my freinds teh stringer :D so we both get money) and they don't complain anything, cuz they get all scared HAHAHA

BigGriff
02-12-2009, 09:34 PM
1. Cheap skates that never buy new bumper guards or grommet sets but insist on restringing.
2. Grips that are so dirty they stink up a room or feel slimy to the touch.
3. People that try to give you a cracked or damaged racquet so they can try to hustle the stringer for a replacement!
4. People that think polys are the most powerful strings
5. People that complain multi and syn gut moves
6. People that blame the stringer because they got bagled or breadsticked in a set.
7. People that think natural gut will make them play like Fed and Pro Hurricane like Nadal.
8. Idiots that pluck, tap, or bang their hands on the strings and claim the tension is off.
9. Weekend warriors that play once or twice a year during their favorite slam and get their annual string job. They ask a million questions and provide a million and one complaints about the string job!!!
10. Players that never designate a time for delivery or pickup but they call you non-stop.
11. People that ask for advice and debate everything you tell them.
12. People that want me to color match string to their racquets and apparel!
13. People that are the most difficult to deal with and they want a discount for services or "forget" bring money!
14. People that have no idea what their current string or tension is but wants me to match it to what they like despite the fact that they use different racquets and set ups.
15. People that want to haggle over pricing

Despite this, I love stringing!!! :-? :)

jamauss
02-12-2009, 09:35 PM
I'll tell you one thing...

If you ever string a racquet for Liezel Huber...don't EVER (even accidentally) allow the strings to cross-over outside the frame on the grommets. (you shouldn't anyway - but..that's beside the point here).

If you do, she'll remind you for the rest of your life not to do it - even after you haven't done it for several racquets since that one time.

Did I mention I strung for FedCup last week? :lol:

Mansewerz
02-12-2009, 09:44 PM
I hate stringing O3s! I also hate it when people criticize a string job based on the outer strings on either side of the racket complaining that they are too loose, when reality if they are hitting the ball with those strings they are have more problems than just loose ends if you know what I mean. :evil:

Oh, I know the feeling.

Some things that also bother me.

When the string you're given is a pain in the @$$ to string.

Hey eagle, how do you like the LF machine?

lawlitssoo1n
02-12-2009, 10:25 PM
nubs on my team who think NXT's are the best and pay 35 dollars for them, especially the chinese!!
nubs on my team that say poly gives no spin.

jefferson
02-13-2009, 03:03 AM
What do you charge to install new grommets?

I charge an extra $5. It takes time to remove the old and install the new one! I just think that it is above the normal string job. Some people have actually asked me to order the grommets for them because they werent sure which ones to get. Then I when I give them the invoice they want to know what the extra 10 bucks is for! $5 for grommet and $5 for the remove/install. I think that is fair. Sometimes it is a real PIA to get them out!

rasajadad
02-13-2009, 04:36 AM
I string for free (just the cost of the string) for some of the kids on the local HS team. Anyway, one of the kid's mothers complained when the kid popped a string within two days. (She wanted me to redo it!)

mikeler
02-13-2009, 04:48 AM
I'll tell you one thing...

If you ever string a racquet for Liezel Huber...don't EVER (even accidentally) allow the strings to cross-over outside the frame on the grommets. (you shouldn't anyway - but..that's beside the point here).

If you do, she'll remind you for the rest of your life not to do it - even after you haven't done it for several racquets since that one time.

Did I mention I strung for FedCup last week? :lol:

I never paid attention to those cross overs until I started string for myself. If I'm in a hurry and do it accidentally, I just leave it. Still have not had a string break because of it.

mikeler
02-13-2009, 04:50 AM
My main pet peeve is stringers who don't straighten the crosses while stringing, resulting in a 'smiley face' look to the crosses. As if you're really getting 60lbs out of that pull...

You must play with an O3 racket.

*breaksracquet
02-13-2009, 06:28 AM

People who insist on a discount because they are a part of organization XYZ...

An unclean machine

Those first 2 questions are the reasons why I went into stringing for myself and for friends and neighbors. I didn't want to be that guy.

I dislike unclean grips (I will overgrip it for free if I have to. It urks me when I see this).

I, too, cannot stand when people complain when strings get "too" loose due to heat/weather when they leave the racquet(s) in the car. Not my fault doofus! I pull my Super Six bag out of my car and bring it inside my office (did I mention I work for a bank?) on game days where I leave straight from work to the courts.

Bleh!:?

eagle
02-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Oh, I know the feeling.

Some things that also bother me.

When the string you're given is a pain in the @$$ to string.

Hey eagle, how do you like the LF machine?

Mansewerz,

Love my LF stringer. :)

Easy to use. No electricity required. No calibration required either.

Not a pro grade expensive one but .... it just plain works. :)

What stringer do you have?

r,
eagle

saram
02-13-2009, 09:16 AM
People that don't pay on time.

People that have ten year old sticks and want the tension in the mid-70's and wonder why I caution them about snapping a stick.

People that don't know the difference between a hybrid, poly, synthetic gut, and multi...

People that don't think strings or tension is important.

All the people that leave their racket bags/sticks in the trunk of their car in the months of May through October....

DizBoiDanny
02-20-2009, 05:21 PM
i just strung a racket with muilt and a syn gut hybrid and JUST went it got off the machine, so guy said, "This feels too loose to be 61"

Lindsay
02-20-2009, 06:27 PM
People that drop off their racquets and the case. I don't want your case!

LSStringing
02-20-2009, 06:43 PM
When the "old lady" brings in her Head Ti S7 and I politely tell her that my machine cannot handle that racquet, she then replies, "the guy that worked here before you could". I then show her that not only did he STRING it for her, but he also CRACKED it at the bottom of the throat for her, because his machine was not equipped to handle it either. FUNNY PEOPLE.

Mansewerz
02-20-2009, 06:43 PM
People that drop off their racquets and the case. I don't want your case!

+1, it takes up extra space in the "complete" cabinet

I also hate rust on machines, ugh!

Lindsay
02-20-2009, 06:47 PM
When people pick up a frame off the shelf and put it back on backwards or if its strung, hang it by the last mains on the left side. That's not how you got it, is it?

Mansewerz
02-20-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm generally a very laid back guy, but when string catches on my machine(s), i can go a little bezerk. I just hate how string catches on EVERY SINGLE THING E:ALDJF:DJ:KLFJADFJA:FJ:OAEJEKFJADF!!!

I'm also a little particular about how my machine is set up, the gamma ESII+ tray is tiny (eh, YUL?), so I had to add on a tooth brush holder suction cup to the side for more organization.

As far as other stringers with bad habits, it bugs me a little bit when people do things that aren't "technically correct," but I'll keep my mouth shut for the most part.

Is it just me, or is the neos' brake just perfect for catching string?

I never paid attention to those cross overs until I started string for myself. If I'm in a hurry and do it accidentally, I just leave it. Still have not had a string break because of it.

It'll usually break if it rubs against the ground. It's more susceptible to breaking if the crossover is near the top.

Mansewerz,

Love my LF stringer. :)

Easy to use. No electricity required. No calibration required either.

Not a pro grade expensive one but .... it just plain works. :)

What stringer do you have?

r,
eagle

I'm on a SP swing right now. I'm hoping to upgrade to the new LF quantum. I was thinking about SW too, but it's just too much more than the Quantum.

When people pick up a frame off the shelf and put it back on backwards or if its strung, hang it by the last mains on the left side. That's not how you got it, is it?

Wow that must suck.

Other things for me:
-People that leave a hybrid set of strings but don't specify which to use for the mains!
-People who think tapping the bed against their hand is a good indicator of how well it will play
-The Prince Neos table brake!!!! That thing just loves to catch string!!
-The Neos' 270 degree rotation? I know you can't have 360 degrees, but if the crank is too close, you can't even have 180 degree rotation!

000KFACTOR90000
02-22-2009, 10:34 AM

So It's YOU who's been sending them all to the talk tennis forum :)

000KFACTOR90000
02-22-2009, 10:45 AM
mounting o3 tennis racquets on non prince stringing machines :evil:. ( the damn raised edge at the head )

Pusher
02-22-2009, 11:15 AM
The fact that stringers aren't getting a federal bailout.

Luminous
02-22-2009, 11:18 AM
1. Cheap skates that never buy new bumper guards or grommet sets but insist on restringing.
2. Grips that are so dirty they stink up a room or feel slimy to the touch.
3. People that try to give you a cracked or damaged racquet so they can try to hustle the stringer for a replacement!
4. People that think polys are the most powerful strings
5. People that complain multi and syn gut moves
6. People that blame the stringer because they got bagled or breadsticked in a set.
7. People that think natural gut will make them play like Fed and Pro Hurricane like Nadal.
8. Idiots that pluck, tap, or bang their hands on the strings and claim the tension is off.
9. Weekend warriors that play once or twice a year during their favorite slam and get their annual string job. They ask a million questions and provide a million and one complaints about the string job!!!
10. Players that never designate a time for delivery or pickup but they call you non-stop.
11. People that ask for advice and debate everything you tell them.
12. People that want me to color match string to their racquets and apparel!
13. People that are the most difficult to deal with and they want a discount for services or "forget" bring money!
14. People that have no idea what their current string or tension is but wants me to match it to what they like despite the fact that they use different racquets and set ups.
15. People that want to haggle over pricing

Despite this, I love stringing!!! :-? :)

Well put! I agree with all of them!

fin-tennis(h)
02-23-2009, 05:27 AM
1. String breakers that complain about syngut durability and refuse to pay more.
2. Same guys usually say something like "I'm sure you would like to sell me more expensive string.
3. People who want a full kevlar at high tension, pain to string
4. Stringing alu rough
5. Lack of space
6. Stuff on the floor around the machine
7. People who complain about the price (that they already know) when they pick up
8. People who always want the same string as world's no1's
9. People who complain about the tension
10. People with that kind of attitude that i don't know anything about the strings

That's my top ten.

BigServer1
02-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Man...Some good ones here. I'll add a few.

- Racquetball racuquets...Those are the toughest patterns in racquet sports and they can be a pain in the *** to deal with.

- Badminton racquets...I'm sorry, but a 22x22 string pattern in a 38 square inch head was not the best idea. It doesn't help that every other grommet (except for the highest end frames) is a shared hole.

- That last main in a two piece job...8 pounds up with the knot function on the machine on and it still feels too loose...Amazing.

- The love/hate relationship that 50% of my customers have with polyester, but they refuse to address the "hate" part.

- One of those days where every other job needs to be rushed, and like a moron you keep agreeing to do it.

- "Uhhhhh, I'm used to paying this kid $12 for the string and the labor on Alu Power...Can you match that?"

There are more, but they've all been covered...This was a great idea for a thread, a nice little place for stringers to rant.

eagle
02-23-2009, 10:43 AM
This was a great idea for a thread, a nice little place for stringers to rant.

Do you think some of those "guilty" of committing things that irritate stringers have come across this thread?

:)

r,
eagle

BigServer1
02-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Do you think some of those "guilty" of committing things that irritate stringers have come across this thread?

:)

r,
eagle

Hopefully so...If that's the case, it could make all of our lives that much easier ;)

SCSI
02-23-2009, 12:48 PM
1. Yes, as the OP said, people especially ol' women, insulting my intelligence by telling me to "re-calibrate" my machine (Babolat Star 5) and asking me to restring, because they feel it is too lose. On some multis with slick coating on rackets with open string pattern, it is easier to move the string with their finger, so they think the stringer must have messed it up. They are not nice about it either, so I simply re-do it with much higher tension, because if I re-do with the same tension, it would come out exactly the same.

2. Friends that want to have their rackets strung for free using my strings, because they know I have reels of strings. They don't care I actually pay for them. They don't respond well, when I ask them to bring their own strings.

uk_skippy
02-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Friends that want to have their rackets strung for free using my strings, because they know I have reels of strings. They don't care I actually pay for them. They don't respond well, when I ask them to bring their own strings.

Why would they do that? I string for friends & relatives, but no-one (except me) gets their rqts for free. Reduced, yes; free no.

regards

Paul

Vermillion
02-23-2009, 01:42 PM
badly placed/sized grommets

Luminous
02-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Think this might been said but:

People that ask for rackets to be strung, same day "becauase they have a match" then don't bother collecting it for a week! :evil:

That one really irritates me

goosala
02-23-2009, 05:42 PM
I was stringing my Yonex RDS001 at 54 lbs. with Forten Sweet 17 and while doing the crosses the string snapped. I could not believe that 54 lbs. is too tight and would snap a solid core syn gut. I guess I got a bad production run of the stuff.

roihxd
02-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Why would they do that? I string for friends & relatives, but no-one (except me) gets their rqts for free. Reduced, yes; free no.

regards

Paul

Hmm. I guess I'm in the minority here. Although I have yet to have a lot of experience stringing (I have strung about 15 racquets), I string for myself, my brother, and my friends for free. I just don't feel right asking my closest friends for money for something that takes really next to no effort...

Also, to stay on topic, since I don't own a starting clamp, I really really really really really hate it when the last main on a 2-piece job is about | | that far away from the string jaw. When that happens, I hit myself in the head and wonder why I didn't give myself an inch more string.

rasajadad
02-24-2009, 05:01 AM
I just strung a frame this morning and I think I have one to add:

String-savers. I have to go outside (10 degrees F) to cut out the strings so the little buggers won't fly into my eye or all over my work space for my cat to eat.

diredesire
02-24-2009, 07:07 AM
I hate it when people come in and try to shoot the proverbial wind with you. They'll start talking about gear in all the slang words they can. "Yeah man, I broke my strings, I must be swingin' my stick harder these days. I did notice my strings lost a lot of pop. Oh, have you heard anything new about the sampras stick? It's an 88!" I'm not personally a fan of ambiguous terms when it comes to stringing.

The other thing I hate is when someone asks you a question they obviously "know" the answer to. They're trying to test you. The worst part is, those questions don't normally have a straight forward answer, it's most likely "depends!"

drakulie
02-24-2009, 08:48 AM
The other thing I hate is when someone asks you a question they obviously "know" the answer to. They're trying to test you. The worst part is, those questions don't normally have a straight forward answer, it's most likely "depends!"

Examples please. :)

Robbie_1988
02-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Sticky racquets that feel like someone spilt coke all over them annoys the hell out of me.

Raiha
02-24-2009, 02:02 PM
original o3 frames where the tie off hole is too narrow to fit a second string through

speedport frames that won't stay mounted properly and slip off to the sides when you pull the mains

grown men who break their o3 platinum every other week and talk like they're serious tennis players when they come in to get it replaced.

people who want strings that cost more than their walmart racquet

people who get their walmart racquet strung and then pick it up a year later (XD and they still paid for it)