PDA

View Full Version : I'm SO ready to get outdoors.

bluetrain4
02-11-2009, 08:13 AM
I envy all of you who live where you can play outdoors year round. I am thankful that I am a member of an indoor club (I actually work there part-time and receive a free membership), but I really prefer outdoor tennis.

Growing up, I never played indoors, only in special circumstances, such as my high school regional tournament being rained out. I never expected to be a member of a racquet club.

So, the indoor season has been fine, but I'm so sick of not having the sun and the wind and being outside. I could also do without the "club scene," i.e., the attitudes, the cliques, etc., but that's a whole other story.

Where I live in Springfield, Illinois, we start getting outdoor tennis weather by the middle of March - 50s, 60s, even a few 70 degree days, but it will also revert back much colder days. Consistent warm-enough weather doesn't come until mid-April. I can't wait.

GPB
02-11-2009, 08:23 AM
I've never played indoors, and it's something I definitely want to do one day. That said, there's nothing like throwing on a pair of shorts and walking onto the courts in early February! I love living in the South!

Rob Johnson
02-11-2009, 10:56 AM
We had three nice days in a row with temps in the 60's this past weekend and early this week. I played outdoors all three days, and it was great.

I've been playing indoor for the past two months, and I enjoy it, but it gets pricey to do it every week, and it just isn't the same.

SlapShot
02-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Oh man, I know how you feel. I feel so cooped up in the middle of winter - not only that, but indoor tennis gets expensive when you want to play more than 2 or 3 times per week. I can't count how many weeks that I spent $60 or more on indoor court fees just to get a decent amount of tennis in.

In MN, we'll be lucky to be on the courts outside before the end of April. :(

mikeler
02-11-2009, 11:38 AM
My biggest complaint today is the wind but it feels good combined with the high of 81 today in Central Florida. :)

bluetrain4
02-11-2009, 11:39 AM
The racquet club I belong to is a rarity and would make anybody who likes to play a lot jealous.

There are no court fees. Like I said, I help out with the juniors a couple of times per week, so I get a free membership. But, when I was a paying member, it was just a flat membership fee around $90-95 dollars per month. Granted, the base fee is more than a lot of clubs, but if you play a lot (and we have a lot of people who play 4-5 times per week), it's an incredible value.

At the peak of indoor season, it's tough to get a court during "prime time" (9 am - 1 pm, and 4:30 pm-7:30 pm), but you can almost always get on after 8:00.

The management always suggests that they are going to move to a court fee system, but they've been saying that for years. People complain about a $2 or $3 dollar increase in the base membership fee, and I tell them that they really have no idea how lucky they are.

J-Mac
02-15-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm with you, I can't wait to play outdoors. I live in the NW. We can play outside but it's cold and unpredictable.

I like to be able to play a full three setter without worrying about the time too!

You guys in the South have it too easy for tennis.

JavierLW
02-15-2009, 07:56 PM
I feel the same way bluetrain4.

The thing I also hate about indoors is how easy and stale the game is.

I play 3.5 and a lot of players who mainly play indoors develop a game where all they do is pretty much go for winners and go for lines on the first or second shot and a lot of times they get away with it.

I LOVE when I get to play them outside where that's near impossible and where patience is a lot more important.

Cruzer
02-15-2009, 08:07 PM
I envy all of you who live where you can play outdoors year round. I am thankful that I am a member of an indoor club (I actually work there part-time and receive a free membership), but I really prefer outdoor tennis.

Yeah, it's great being able to play outside year round here in Norcal. Oh no, wait a sec. I've been inside either looking at rain showers every couple of hours for the past four days or today's steady downpour. Maybe next week but on the other hand we need the rain so the water rationing next summer is not too severe. In any case no tennis means more guitar playing.

raiden031
02-16-2009, 03:31 AM
The racquet club I belong to is a rarity and would make anybody who likes to play a lot jealous.

There are no court fees. Like I said, I help out with the juniors a couple of times per week, so I get a free membership. But, when I was a paying member, it was just a flat membership fee around $90-95 dollars per month. Granted, the base fee is more than a lot of clubs, but if you play a lot (and we have a lot of people who play 4-5 times per week), it's an incredible value.

At the peak of indoor season, it's tough to get a court during "prime time" (9 am - 1 pm, and 4:30 pm-7:30 pm), but you can almost always get on after 8:00.

The management always suggests that they are going to move to a court fee system, but they've been saying that for years. People complain about a $2 or $3 dollar increase in the base membership fee, and I tell them that they really have no idea how lucky they are.

Thats a steep monthly fee. That sorta makes it not worth it to me because if you can't play during off-times, then you will have trouble finding courts and still paying nearly $100/month even if you play less than once a week. If it was easy to find courts, then it would be well worth it.

One of the clubs I am a member of has a $150/year membership fee, and courts are $34-38/hour per court. It is difficult to find courts here as well, but at least I only lose like $12/month if I can't play that month.

zapvor
02-16-2009, 12:59 PM
what club is it raiden? 34 sounds like a lot for an hour

bluetrain4
02-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Thats a steep monthly fee. That sorta makes it not worth it to me because if you can't play during off-times, then you will have trouble finding courts and still paying nearly $100/month even if you play less than once a week. If it was easy to find courts, then it would be well worth it.

One of the clubs I am a member of has a $150/year membership fee, and courts are $34-38/hour per court. It is difficult to find courts here as well, but at least I only lose like $12/month if I can't play that month.

Yeah, the value is if you play a lot. Springfield, Illinois is not a tennis hot-bed, so our 6-court club can accomodate most people who want to play, as long as they are sometimes willing to play a bit later. So, for a person who plays once a week, it's not such a good deal. But, for someone who plays 4 times a week, it is an incredible deal.

goober
02-17-2009, 04:54 AM
Hey bluetrain didn't you come out to AZ to play in the Grand Canyon games last year? Let me know if you are this year and we can schedule a hit.

mikeler
02-17-2009, 05:08 AM
I pay $195 per year to play on clay outside year round. :)

bluetrain4
02-17-2009, 07:25 AM
Hey bluetrain didn't you come out to AZ to play in the Grand Canyon games last year? Let me know if you are this year and we can schedule a hit.

Yes, I am coming out on February 26 and staying through March 3. I will sign up for the tourney, not sure if I will play (though I will probably give in) (I'm not in great shape after an injury). Regardless, hitting would be good.

Fedace
02-17-2009, 07:28 AM
I have lots of problems adjusting to wind and sun, so i like indoor tennis better.

bluetrain4
02-17-2009, 07:42 AM

The other part of the value is that at my club, you are allowed to put your membership on hold by paying $10 a month, instead of the regular fee. So many players will put their memberships on hold for the summer months, or even as long as April to October, and play outdoors. Some older members put their memberships on hold when they travel to warmer climates during the winter.

goober
02-17-2009, 08:08 AM
Yes, I am coming out on February 26 and staying through March 3. I will sign up for the tourney, not sure if I will play (though I will probably give in) (I'm not in great shape after an injury). Regardless, hitting would be good.

I haven't decided if I am going to sign up or not, but maybe the Thursday or Friday night before would be good for me.

MariaS
02-17-2009, 11:22 AM
After having lived many years in the Northeast, we now reside in the South. Last week we had some mild weather and we went out and hit for 2 hours. :)

TheMagicianOfPrecision
02-23-2009, 05:37 PM
I play for free,whenever i want to,as much as i want to. However here in Sweden we only play outdoors on red clay from May-August

ESP#1
02-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Indoors is great!! No wind, no sun in the eyes when serving, no cold no humidity, no rain, that being said there is nothing like playing outside on a nice calm night

JavierLW
02-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Indoors is great!! No wind, no sun in the eyes when serving, no cold no humidity, no rain, that being said there is nothing like playing outside on a nice calm night

Exactly, indoors is stale, boring, and too easy. (except for lack of rain, that's always a bonus)

ESP#1
02-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Exactly, indoors is stale, boring, and too easy. (except for lack of rain, that's always a bonus)

thats a good way of thinking about it, if i only had that approach towards the elements

goober
02-25-2009, 02:58 PM

Draws are out.

We are both in the 4.5 Singles but I'm on the opposite side so only way we are meeting is in the finals of the main draw (no way for me) or finals of the consolation round. Won't be able to hit with you Friday since we start that night.

Here's a little scouting report for you. I have played both first round opponents of yours in the 4.5s and Mens 30s :)

4.5 opponent: He has a 4.0 rating but is a strong 4.0 and usually tries to play up in tourneys. He is in his 20s with big groundies but can be beaten by consistent play.

30s- Very good player. Smacks the heck out of the ball. He can cover the net too as he plays a lot of doubles. Former top player at a small college if I recall correctly. If you can beat him you are a strong 4.5.

Have fun8-)

bluetrain4
02-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Draws are out.

We are both in the 4.5 Singles but I'm on the opposite side so only way we are meeting is in the finals of the main draw (no way for me) or finals of the consolation round. Won't be able to hit with you Friday since we start that night.

Here's a little scouting report for you. I have played both first round opponents of yours in the 4.5s and Mens 30s :)

4.5 opponent: He has a 4.0 rating but is a strong 4.0 and usually tries to play up in tourneys. He is in his 20s with big groundies but can be beaten by consistent play.

30s- Very good player. Smacks the heck out of the ball. He can cover the net too as he plays a lot of doubles. Former top player at a small college if I recall correctly. If you can beat him you are a strong 4.5.

Have fun8-)

Thanks for the info. I'm still rated a 4.0 from when I self rated about 3 years ago, but in all honesty, I think by this point I'm a decent 4.5 (I'd probably win 1/3 of matches against other 4.5s). Of course I don't live in a tennis hotbed, so beating up on 4.0s around here may not mean that much.

Knee is a little gimply, but I'm looking forward to the tourney. Great facility.

I think the tourney includes too many divisions and people seem to pick almost randomly. Last year I played Open and 4.0s (there was no 4.5). In first round of Open I played someone who was clearly a 3.5. In the second round I played a 5.0. In 4.0s, my first round opponent, again, was 3.5ish (nothing wrong with playing up), and my next two opponents, even if technically strong 4.0s, could have easily been competitive in some 4.5 matches.

Seems to always be a crapshoot. But, then again, that's why I play. To play different people.

Last year, I played 5 matches total, which was great, but too much. I singed up late to guage participation. Right before I registered, I thought the 4.5 draw would be 4 people, and as happened with the 5.0s last year, I though maybe the 30s would just be a final. 3 matches would have been perfect. But, with consolation, the minimum will be 4. A good attitude and plenty of Aleve will pull me through, LOL!

goober
02-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Last year, I played 5 matches total, which was great, but too much. I singed up late to guage participation. Right before I registered, I thought the 4.5 draw would be 4 people, and as happened with the 5.0s last year, I though maybe the 30s would just be a final. 3 matches would have been perfect. But, with consolation, the minimum will be 4. A good attitude and plenty of Aleve will pull me through, LOL!

Well the consolations last year were 8 game pro sets which I typically hate. But I signed up for 2 divisions too thinking they were going to be small draws, but then all these people signed up not through tennislink. So now I am thinking the pro sets are not so bad haha.

bluetrain4
02-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Well the consolations last year were 8 game pro sets which I typically hate. But I signed up for 2 divisions too thinking they were going to be small draws, but then all these people signed up not through tennislink. So now I am thinking the pro sets are not so bad haha.

Well, I may have to take back that "I'm a decent 4.5" statement, because I feel anything but right now. I made it through the first match in 4.5s 7-5, 7-6 and really played pretty bad (all due credit to my opponent). Had not been outdoors for months, so it was very odd. But, conditions were perfect for outdoors (other than the poor lighting).

30s first round tomorrow at 9:30, but from your scouting report, doesn't sound like I have much of a chance.

Good Luck.

Skanavis
02-27-2009, 08:54 PM
I know right!! This whole winter ive been absolutely dreading, because in the summer i play everyday. In this winter i only play 2 times a week, and that is not enough!!!! But the weather is just starting to come around, and ive already played in the 30's (when the courts were dry) But it recently snow/rained so the courts arent in too good of shape. But next week the weather should be better, and im really looking forward to playing some tennis!

goober
02-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Well, I may have to take back that "I'm a decent 4.5" statement, because I feel anything but right now. I made it through the first match in 4.5s 7-5, 7-6 and really played pretty bad (all due credit to my opponent). Had not been outdoors for months, so it was very odd. But, conditions were perfect for outdoors (other than the poor lighting).

30s first round tomorrow at 9:30, but from your scouting report, doesn't sound like I have much of a chance.

Good Luck.

I had to withdraw due injuring my knee just 2 days before. I am actually going to be at the tennis center tomorrow taking my 2 kids to some lessons from 8-9 am. Maybe I'll run into you if you show up early.

Your next opponent in the 4.5s is crafty and has an unusual game that throws off some people. He hits the ball pretty flat and likes to for angles. You should have two good, tough matches tomorrow. Have fun.

bluetrain4
03-04-2009, 10:13 AM
I had to withdraw due injuring my knee just 2 days before. I am actually going to be at the tennis center tomorrow taking my 2 kids to some lessons from 8-9 am. Maybe I'll run into you if you show up early.

Your next opponent in the 4.5s is crafty and has an unusual game that throws off some people. He hits the ball pretty flat and likes to for angles. You should have two good, tough matches tomorrow. Have fun.

Well, I had a great time and ended up winning the 4.5s, including my last 2 matches pretty handily (I played very well).

I played well in the first set of my 30s match, but not so great in the second, but the guy I played, played great and went on to win 30s. The guy he beat in the finals of the 30s (and who didn't get any more games off of him than I did), actually won the Open division. So the divisions were kind of random. Last year there was a 5.0 and a top junior in the Open. This year, not so much.

Beautiful weather and great conditions. My last two matches were Saturday and Sunday starting at 4:30 pm and after a half hour of each match, the temp had dropped and (more importantly), the sun had started to go down. Absolutely gorgeous weather. I was so disappointed getting on the plane to go back to Illinois on Tuesday.

vandre
03-04-2009, 10:23 AM
you should be able to do it tomorrow, bluetrain. 60s. oh yeah, i'm taking the racquet to work! :)

goober
03-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Well, I had a great time and ended up winning the 4.5s, including my last 2 matches pretty handily (I played very well).

I played well in the first set of my 30s match, but not so great in the second, but the guy I played, played great and went on to win 30s. The guy he beat in the finals of the 30s (and who didn't get any more games off of him than I did), actually won the Open division. So the divisions were kind of random. Last year there was a 5.0 and a top junior in the Open. This year, not so much.

Beautiful weather and great conditions. My last two matches were Saturday and Sunday starting at 4:30 pm and after a half hour of each match, the temp had dropped and (more importantly), the sun had started to go down. Absolutely gorgeous weather. I was so disappointed getting on the plane to go back to Illinois on Tuesday.

good job.

The guy you played in the 30's is the type of player you come across in the 4.5 leagues which he plays in and usually plays doubles. The guy you played in the 4.5 finals got bumped about a year ago and has played very few USTA matches since that time. In fact I don't think he actually has beaten a 4.5 rated player in an official match. He played a 4.0 in the semifinals. I agree they really need to narrow the number of categories- with junior, open, age group and NTRP there are just too many draws with too few people in each.

bluetrain4
03-04-2009, 11:49 AM
good job.

The guy you played in the 30's is the type of player you come across in the 4.5 leagues which he plays in and usually plays doubles. The guy you played in the 4.5 finals got bumped about a year ago and has played very few USTA matches since that time. In fact I don't think he actually has beaten a 4.5 rated player in an official match. He played a 4.0 in the semifinals. I agree they really need to narrow the number of categories- with junior, open, age group and NTRP there are just too many draws with too few people in each.

Yeah the guy I beat in the finals was defintely not a 4.5 and he even told me that he had been bumped up to 4.5, but then broke his arm and hadn't played a lot. I should not have lost even 3 games to him.

Even though my semi was 6-1, 6-2, the match was very tough. That guy could grind and I had to be very patient and wait for opportunities. We had lots of long points and a few very long games. His biggest weakness was his second serve which was very attackable.