PDA

View Full Version : Pro Kennex Kinetic Ionic rackets

Fletch
02-11-2009, 01:09 PM
I am looking at switching out of my PD+ w/ Cortex into one of these rackets. I hate the cortex version of the PD, but that is for another thread.

I would like to get a similar PK racket that is easy on the arm, but I don't want to sacrifice mph on my serve and forehand. I am looking for a stiff feel.

Has anyone played with these rackets? From what I read the Ki5x would feel more stiff as opposed to the 5G? Is this true? That would be the feel I would want. It also sounds like the PSE version is pretty heavy, sounds like it might take sometime to get used too. I hear they are not going to make the 10 version much longer, so I am not interested in that.

Any info on these sticks would be appreciated, I have read previous posts as much as I can. Really looking for the difference in feel from the Ki5x vs. 5G. I know a person that plays with the 5G and he said when he switched he gave up some power on the serve.

Thanks in advance.
Fletch

shell
02-11-2009, 02:37 PM
I am looking at switching out of my PD+ w/ Cortex into one of these rackets. I hate the cortex version of the PD, but that is for another thread.

I would like to get a similar PK racket that is easy on the arm, but I don't want to sacrifice mph on my serve and forehand. I am looking for a stiff feel.

Has anyone played with these rackets? From what I read the Ki5x would feel more stiff as opposed to the 5G? Is this true? That would be the feel I would want. It also sounds like the PSE version is pretty heavy, sounds like it might take sometime to get used too. I hear they are not going to make the 10 version much longer, so I am not interested in that.

Any info on these sticks would be appreciated, I have read previous posts as much as I can. Really looking for the difference in feel from the Ki5x vs. 5G. I know a person that plays with the 5G and he said when he switched he gave up some power on the serve.

Thanks in advance.
Fletch

Fletch, you won't find the same power and stiffness in either of the PKs you are talking about. Certainly not the 5G. And yes, I have found the 5G to lack a bit of power in the serve compared to other similar spec racquets.

But the 5G is an excellent overall racquet. The Ionic version I have not hit with.

Something more similar to your PD might be the 15PSE (? I think that is it, but check the specs). It is lighter and stiffer than the 5G, but still has the Ionic system for comfort.

If you can demo, I would highly suggest it. The differences are pretty drastic from your previous racquet - BUT, I love PK racquets and I personally think you can find one that works.

The Dampener
02-11-2009, 03:56 PM
I can second Shell's observations. With one exception. If you string down, either of these frames should supply ample power. I've done it with both of these sticks. You may sacrifice a little control, but you'll get yer pop.

Fletch
02-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Something more similar to your PD might be the 15PSE (? I think that is it, but check the specs). It is lighter and stiffer than the 5G, but still has the Ionic system for comfort.

If you can demo, I would highly suggest it. The differences are pretty drastic from your previous racquet - BUT, I love PK racquets and I personally think you can find one that works.

After looking at the 15 PSE it seems like I should give this one serious consideration. I like to string a little higher than normal, so I could do this to tone down the power if needed.
Of course, now how do I demo this one, TW doesn't have this one on the demo program.
I would like to try the Ki5 and the 15 PSE.

Anyone have any other thoughts or has anyone tried the 15 PSE?

netman
02-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Actually the Ki 10 is probably the closest Pro Kennex you will find to a PD. The PSE version is heavier and closer to the PD Roddick. The Ki 5 is a very good upgrade from the PD if you want more control and better comfort.

Fletch
02-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Actually the Ki 10 is probably the closest Pro Kennex you will find to a PD. The PSE version is heavier and closer to the PD Roddick. The Ki 5 is a very good upgrade from the PD if you want more control and better comfort.

I looked at that one, I hear the Ki 10 is being phased out, I am not sure why, but its from a reliable source. I hate to get something, like it, and won't be able to get it in 2 years.

I suppose I could demo it and if I like it, just buy several of them.

netman
02-11-2009, 06:04 PM
I looked at that one, I hear the Ki 10 is being phased out, I am not sure why, but its from a reliable source. I hate to get something, like it, and won't be able to get it in 2 years.

I suppose I could demo it and if I like it, just buy several of them.

Yes it is being phased out. But you should be able to acquire several at a great price if you like it.

Fletch
02-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Yes it is being phased out. But you should be able to acquire several at a great price if you like it.

I just read a little about the Ki 10, sounds like you have to lead it up a bit.

Netman, have you played with any of these rackets? Its tough, they are not all available to demo, I hate to buy something and not like it.

netman
02-11-2009, 06:45 PM
I just read a little about the Ki 10, sounds like you have to lead it up a bit.

Netman, have you played with any of these rackets? Its tough, they are not all available to demo, I hate to buy something and not like it.

I did a comparative demo for TW that included the Ki 10. You can look it up. Didn't prefer it, but I'm a huge 5g fan and have never liked the PD. However friends of mine that love the PD have very nice things to say about the Ki 10.

shell
02-11-2009, 07:50 PM
All of us play with racquets that we will not be able to easily find new in 2 - 3 years, so don't let that sway you. If you find one you like, buy a couple and go for it. Racquets always show up used later on if you need more.

Fletch
02-12-2009, 03:37 PM
All of us play with racquets that we will not be able to easily find new in 2 - 3 years, so don't let that sway you. If you find one you like, buy a couple and go for it. Racquets always show up used later on if you need more.

Now if I could just find a Ki 10 PSE to demo:confused:

shell
02-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Now if I could just find a Ki 10 PSE to demo:confused:

Fletch, where are you? TW has the demo, is it impossible for you to use them?

Bud
02-12-2009, 06:30 PM

Is the 10PSE the one that's a putrid green color? :|

mawashi
02-12-2009, 07:02 PM

Agree, the KI5 is a very good frame n if you can handle the weight the KI5 PSE is even better as the plow through is simply amazing.

ProKennexs are rather unique frames n you may need some getting use to but they are pretty good for the price.

mawashi

shell
02-12-2009, 08:06 PM

Talking about the regular 10. Yes, I think the PSE was putrid green. The PSE came into the discussion regarding the 15.

counterpuncher
02-12-2009, 09:07 PM
I had the Ki10 PSE for a while. Power it had and I doubt you would lose much from your PD +, but stiffness it didn't. It has an exaggerated tapered beam of something like a 24mm hoop and 17mm throat from memory - which resulted in a lot of flex at the throat.

At first I thought I liked it - as per my Yonex sticks, but then it became frustrating at the power differential between different parts of the string bed. It was very inconsistent and made me lose all confidence in my strokes. I would say look into the Ki-5x, 7G or Ki-15 PSE.

Fletch
02-13-2009, 06:50 AM

I live in the Cleveland area, but TW doesn't have the 10PSE which is one of the frames I would like to try.

I hope not! :shock: Break out the spray paint!

Agree, the KI5 is a very good frame n if you can handle the weight the KI5 PSE is even better as the plow through is simply amazing.

ProKennexs are rather unique frames n you may need some getting use to but they are pretty good for the price.

mawashi

From just reading, it seems like the Ki5x is one I am going to try, the PSE in this frame just seems a bit too heavy. 12.9 oz, it just seems like a lot of lumber for me to lug around, I play a lot of doubles and I would think that might sacrifice some quickness, I'm not sure though.

I had the Ki10 PSE for a while. Power it had and I doubt you would lose much from your PD +, but stiffness it didn't. It has an exaggerated tapered beam of something like a 24mm hoop and 17mm throat from memory - which resulted in a lot of flex at the throat.

At first I thought I liked it - as per my Yonex sticks, but then it became frustrating at the power differential between different parts of the string bed. It was very inconsistent and made me lose all confidence in my strokes. I would say look into the Ki-5x, 7G or Ki-15 PSE.

I hope I don't feel the same thing you felt here. I finally got hooked up with some demos, I hope they will be in next week.
Here is what I have coming in:

Ki 5x - I hope I like this frame, I am concerned about the power though. I think the PD+ has spoiled me. I don't want to string too loose to crank up the power either. This is supposed to be stiffer than the 5G series and I like the fact that its a 1/2 inch longer. I really like the big serve and forehand of the PD+.

Ki 10PSE - This seems to be pretty close to the PD+ in specs, but I will see about the flex in the throat. If I like this one, I will have to buy several because they are not making them long term. I guess the don't sell well in Asia or Europe, but did okay in the US.

Ki 15PSE - This frame could be interesting. I little thicker beam, I will have to string it a little tighter to tame the power possibly. I would rather play with tight strings than loose, I just like the boardy feel. I am not sure if I can get used to 105 sq. inch frame, I know its not much but if you go the other way, to 95, I don't think I would like that either.

I hope I can pick one from these three. The only other one that would interest me is the Ki 5 PSE, but again, that baby is pretty heavy, not sure about it.

I really hate switching rackets. I just really don't like the cortex version of the PD, if I could get the old ones again, I probably wouldn't even be looking. I have had on and off again golfers elbow that has never stopped me from playing, and my first bout of tennis elbow (from lifting, not tennis) so from what I have read, these frames are great.

velvetsledgehammer
02-13-2009, 07:07 AM
I play with the Ki15 PSE and I think it is a great racquet. I have even added a little weight to the handle and head. On the TW page for this racquet, a TW message board member(radicaltourist) reviewed this stick vs a couple of others and I would say he has a spot on take on this stick. I think the 105 head size is perfect. This stick is so nice to volley with and grounstrokes are very comfortable to hit with it. The kinetic system really works.

shell
02-13-2009, 07:08 AM
Perfect! Be sure to post your feedback on those frames. It could be a nice, comprehensive ProKennex review.

mawashi
02-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Well if you are ok with extended frames then the KI5x is the one for you. I have a couple of ki5x cus I could not get the regular Ki5.

I got them when my TE was at its worst but since, moving on to Vantage I've got a couple lying around if you are interested in a size 4 1/2.

Email me at 55fathoms@gmail.com

Cheers,

mawashi

Fletch
02-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Perfect! Be sure to post your feedback on those frames. It could be a nice, comprehensive ProKennex review.

I will do that. It might not be for a week or two. They are sending out the frames today and I will probably get to play with them for about a week, so I will post something after that.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

netman
02-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Am into to week 6 of using my 5g frames in competitive play due to elbow issues. All I can say is "simply amazing". These things are like professional race cars. Using lead, strings, string tension and balance adjustments, you can really fine tune them for whatever your style of play may be. They make decent nylon strings like Gosen Sheep Micro play better than strings costing 3-4x more.

Topspin, slice, underspin, side spin - everything is easy to hit. Power and touch are so easy to dial up you can knock off a screaming forehand inches above the netcord, then follow it with a drop shot just over the tape and within inches of the net. My unforced error count has dropped dramatically and its mainly due to the fact I'm not having to work so hard to generate pace and precision. And the comfort level is simply better than any player's frame I have ever used, and I have used just about all of them from 1980 on.

-k-

shell
02-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Am into to week 6 of using my 5g frames in competitive play due to elbow issues. All I can say is "simply amazing". These things are like professional race cars. Using lead, strings, string tension and balance adjustments, you can really fine tune them for whatever your style of play may be. They make decent nylon strings like Gosen Sheep Micro play better than strings costing 3-4x more.

Topspin, slice, underspin, side spin - everything is easy to hit. Power and touch are so easy to dial up you can knock off a screaming forehand inches above the netcord, then follow it with a drop shot just over the tape and within inches of the net. My unforced error count has dropped dramatically and its mainly due to the fact I'm not having to work so hard to generate pace and precision. And the comfort level is simply better than any player's frame I have ever used, and I have used just about all of them from 1980 on.

-k-

Other than the fact that I HATE Goshen Sheep OG, I totaly agree here :twisted:

Bud
02-15-2009, 05:04 PM

-k-

Other than the fact that I HATE Goshen Sheep OG, I totaly agree here :twisted:

Shhhhh... don't spill the secrets of the inimitable 5G!

Fletch
02-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Looking forward to getting my demos by Thursday, hopefully play test them on Friday and over the weekend.

I am wondering if these rackets are so great, which they sound like they are, why are no pros using them? The first thought is money, but not all pros get paid to play with rackets, so those players would at least consider Pro Kennex.
What gives?

The Dampener
02-15-2009, 05:21 PM
I used to use the 5G when I had arm troubles. And it was either netman, Steve Huff, or AJK1 who used to say that the 5G isn't great at anything, but that it's good at everything. That's probably what makes it appealing to so many recreational players.

Bud
02-15-2009, 05:55 PM
I used to use the 5G when I had arm troubles. And it was either netman, Steve Huff, or AJK1 who used to say that the 5G isn't great at anything, but that it's good at everything. That's probably what makes it appealing to so many recreational players.

What do you use now?
Did using the 5G with TE allow it to heal?
Any signs of the TE, currently?

netman
02-15-2009, 07:36 PM

I think all 3 of us have said that at some time. I have to remind myself that it always seems to take an injury to bring me back to the 5g and then I relearn what a great frame it is. But eventually I go out and try new things. Then the circle repeats itself. :)

The Dampener
02-15-2009, 07:41 PM
What do you use now?
Did using the 5G with TE allow it to heal?
Any signs of the TE, currently?

Bud, I use Dunlops. They play pretty soft. My current stick is the AG300 16x18.

The 5G got me through 18 months of golfer's elbow (tennis elbow's evil twin sister). I finally figured out what the cause was (serving technique), fixed it, and luckily the GE hasn't returned.

The Dampener
02-15-2009, 07:44 PM
I think all 3 of us have said that at some time. I have to remind myself that it always seems to take an injury to bring me back to the 5g and then I relearn what a great frame it is. But eventually I go out and try new things. Then the circle repeats itself. :)

I can't count the number of times I've done and thought the same things. Curiosity never killed my cat, but it's caused me to prematurely bid farewell to many a fine frame.

Bud
02-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Bud, I use Dunlops. They play pretty soft. My current stick is the AG300 16x18.

The 5G got me through 18 months of golfer's elbow (tennis elbow's evil twin sister). I finally figured out what the cause was (serving technique), fixed it, and luckily the GE hasn't returned.

Have you pulled out your 5G and played with it, lately? I'm curious as to your perception of it... now that you've played the AG300 for such a long time.

Does the AG300 share the same muted, vibration-free feel of the 5G?

The Dampener
02-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Have you pulled out your 5G and played with it, lately? I'm curious as to your perception of it... now that you've played the AG300 for such a long time.

Does the AG300 share the same muted, vibration-free feel of the 5G?

Bud, I don't currently own a 5G, and regrettably so. The AG300 is very soft and forgiving, particularly if you use a soft string like multis at lower tensions. But nothing in my memory was ever as soft as the 5G.

Steve Huff
02-15-2009, 10:08 PM
I use the ki5 now. I only have 1, so I use the old version of the 5g for my backup. I used the 10g PSE for a while too. I think it's a great racket also. As for the 15g. I used the 15gPSE for a season. It's stiff, and I could really serve hard with it once I found the sweetspot (it took about 5-8 times out with it to really find the zone on it). But, even with the kinetic system, my arm was about to fall off by the end of the season. My tennis elbow returned. I immediately went back to the 5g and my elbow problems went away quickly. As for the 5g (and ki5), I have found rackets that serve better, rackets that have more power, rackets that have better control, and rackets that volley better. But none are as well balanced and do everything well. The 5g does everything well. Maybe not the best, but better than average in EVERY category of playing.

Now the bad news. I don't think PK is selling in the US any more. I'm pretty sure that what is available is from stock bought earlier. I hope they re-enter the US market. I wonder if their warranty is any good now.

Bud
02-15-2009, 10:46 PM
I use the ki5 now. I only have 1, so I use the old version of the 5g for my backup. I used the 10g PSE for a while too. I think it's a great racket also. As for the 15g. I used the 15gPSE for a season. It's stiff, and I could really serve hard with it once I found the sweetspot (it took about 5-8 times out with it to really find the zone on it). But, even with the kinetic system, my arm was about to fall off by the end of the season. My tennis elbow returned. I immediately went back to the 5g and my elbow problems went away quickly. As for the 5g (and ki5), I have found rackets that serve better, rackets that have more power, rackets that have better control, and rackets that volley better. But none are as well balanced and do everything well. The 5g does everything well. Maybe not the best, but better than average in EVERY category of playing.

Now the bad news. I don't think PK is selling in the US any more. I'm pretty sure that what is available is from stock bought earlier. I hope they re-enter the US market. I wonder if their warranty is any good now.

What makes you think that?

basil J
02-16-2009, 07:52 AM
I have a shoulder injury and will be undergoing surgery in April to remove a bone spur. My regular stick is a yonex TI80. I bought a KI5 to use once per week to keep my strokes honed until surgery day. This racquet is an undiscovered gem. The 16 x 20 string pattern provides ample spin, yet maintains a solid feel and excellent control. The only thing I dislike about this frame is that you can really feel the high flex in the throat when you miss the sweet spot and at times I land my 1HBH much shorter than with my usual stick. besides that one short coming,I find the comfort is unbelieveable. I have it strung with PSGD in a 17' at 60# and feel no shoulder pain at all after every session. I played a regular two sets last night with serving( which I am not supposed to do) and not only did I serve well, I had no pain or soreness this morning. I want to try gut and see if I can even get a softer feel out of the string bed and even juice up the serve more. I picked up my usual TI80 mid set last night and put it down after 1 game. it was just too much work. I want to try the 5G but if that is lower powered, I will probably pass. I like the KI5 even better than the Redondo Mp, which I happily used for 2 years. I have yet to try a PK frame that I have not liked. It actually reminds me a bit of the 200GMW and a lowered powered 002 Tour. great frame.

netman
02-16-2009, 10:47 AM
I have a shoulder injury and will be undergoing surgery in April to remove a bone spur. My regular stick is a yonex TI80. I bought a KI5 to use once per week to keep my strokes honed until surgery day. This racquet is an undiscovered gem. The 16 x 20 string pattern provides ample spin, yet maintains a solid feel and excellent control. The only thing I dislike about this frame is that you can really feel the high flex in the throat when you miss the sweet spot and at times I land my 1HBH much shorter than with my usual stick. besides that one short coming,I find the comfort is unbelieveable. I have it strung with PSGD in a 17' at 60# and feel no shoulder pain at all after every session. I played a regular two sets last night with serving( which I am not supposed to do) and not only did I serve well, I had no pain or soreness this morning. I want to try gut and see if I can even get a softer feel out of the string bed and even juice up the serve more. I picked up my usual TI80 mid set last night and put it down after 1 game. it was just too much work. I want to try the 5G but if that is lower powered, I will probably pass. I like the KI5 even better than the Redondo Mp, which I happily used for 2 years. I have yet to try a PK frame that I have not liked. It actually reminds me a bit of the 200GMW and a lowered powered 002 Tour. great frame.

I have used both the 5g and Ki 5 and to be honest, did not find them to feel any different. The USRSA database has the 5g with a 62 flex and the Ki 5 with a 63 flex, which is basically the same. Both have a power rating of 1947. It could be that some folks are comparing older 5gs which may have softened a bit with their newer Ki 5s, hence the feeling the 5g is softer.

To be honest, I bought the 5gs because they are $30 cheaper. I can see why PK would want to discontinue them since they get more money for the Ki 5.

-k-

basil J
02-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks, that's good to know. I won't bother with the 5G if it is basically the same as a KI5

Bud
02-16-2009, 05:17 PM
I have used both the 5g and Ki 5 and to be honest, did not find them to feel any different. The USRSA database has the 5g with a 62 flex and the Ki 5 with a 63 flex, which is basically the same. Both have a power rating of 1947. It could be that some folks are comparing older 5gs which may have softened a bit with their newer Ki 5s, hence the feeling the 5g is softer.

To be honest, I bought the 5gs because they are $30 cheaper. I can see why PK would want to discontinue them since they get more money for the Ki 5.

-k-

Thanks, that's good to know. I won't bother with the 5G if it is basically the same as a KI5

Most people disagree. The 5G is definitely more arm friendly then the Ki5 PSE, IMO.

BTW, I have two ki5 PSE (excellent condition) I'm looking to trade for two 5G's :)

mawashi
02-16-2009, 05:52 PM
I have a shoulder injury and will be undergoing surgery in April to remove a bone spur.

Ouch! Hope you get better soon.

mawashi

blue12
02-16-2009, 06:11 PM
I had a couple Ki5 standards. I got good power on my serve and on groundies, but had some real issues on volleys getting much pop, I don't know I just never could figure the thing out!
It had a flexy feel to it also. Easy on the arm though!

netman
02-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Most people disagree. The 5G is definitely more arm friendly then the Ki5 PSE, IMO.

BTW, I have two ki5 PSE (excellent condition) I'm looking to trade for two 5G's :)

You know Bud, I've heard that, but the specs disagree. TW even says the Ki5 has a 61 flex and 5g a 65. So all I can think is that maybe the Ki 5 is like the new MaxPly McEnroe, which plays much stiffer than its 68 rating would suggest. I've always thought its the way Dunlop lays up the prepreg that makes the MME so stiff, so maybe PK has a slightly different lay up for the Ki 5 that makes it feel stiffer than the 5g. Or perhaps the flex points are different. I personally could not feel enough of a difference to matter, but maybe that's just me.

Unfortunately I'm not man enough to swing the mighty Ki 5 PSE for 2 hours or I would seriously consider your offer. My 5gs are customized to weigh 11.9 oz. and that's just right for me.

jwardb
02-28-2009, 12:27 PM
I just saw this thread, with its suggestion that my racquet - the ki 10 PSE - is going to be discontinued. Could somebody confirm or disconfirm that? When will it happen?

mg.dc
02-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Although currently my main stick is the Redondo Mid -- which I love! -- I also have a Ki 5 PSE. I'm looking forward to giving the Ki 5 PSE a good test run here real soon.

In particular what got my attention regarding the PSE is the stock 13 ounzes as well as the 16x20 string pattern. I've already hit a few times with the it, although nothing extensive, and, to be sure, if there's one racket that won't get pushed around when the pace gets heavy, it's the Ki 5 PSE. The mass is awesome. Not only that but the flex and balance are perfect for this racket.

shell
02-28-2009, 01:36 PM
I just saw this thread, with its suggestion that my racquet - the ki 10 PSE - is going to be discontinued. Could somebody confirm or disconfirm that? When will it happen?

I don't think any of us really know what PK is doing at any given time. They seem to come and go, at least here in the US. It just seems they are sometimes hard to find, other than the 5G an 7G, which seem to always stay in stock.

jwardb
02-28-2009, 04:44 PM
I don't think any of us really know what PK is doing at any given time. They seem to come and go, at least here in the US. It just seems they are sometimes hard to find, other than the 5G an 7G, which seem to always stay in stock.

Thanks. Agreed about PK, it's very frustrating. It's just that at some point in this thread the OP was suggesting something more definite -- a phase-out -- based on a reliable source.

netman
02-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Just picked up a Ki 10 PSE to add to my collection of 5gs. While I did not really like the Ki 10, the PSE version is a different animal. Initial hit brought back memories of the Laver Type S I played with many moons ago. But much more comfortable, which is pretty amazing. It really feels like a more head heavy, slightly more flexible, more spin friendly version of the venerable 5g. I'll add more info when I get a chance to give it a more in-depth hit.

basil J
03-02-2009, 06:22 AM
I pulled my Redondo MP out of the closet the other day, strung it TNT. I forgot what a plush frame this is. I played two sets(no serving)Just returned, and I easily switched back and forth between the two frames. The sweetspot on the KI5 is a bit bigger than the Redondo, but it also plays with more flex in the throat which resulted in some short balls on late hits. The redondo felt beefier and more solid in hand, but lower powered. They are both quite fun and comfortable to use.