PDA

View Full Version : New Tactic!!!

Lotto
02-11-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm going to try a new tactic in the spring championships next week. I'm gonna serve and volley and chip and charge off 2nd serves. What do ya's think? The reason I've decided to do this is because at the moment I am playing absolutely terrible from the back. My one handed backhand has disappeared and my biggest weapon, the forehand has gone on holiday lol.
It's a national tournament though. I don't know how I'll do. I experimented tonight in a practice mess around and it was ok. I might do a coaching session on it before the tournament starts though to get advice. One of my coaches is a 5.5+ player (well, he must be that because he got a tennis scholarship to oxford, played at Wimbledon for oxford in the inter-colleges thing and he's beaten an Irish pro ranked 1186 in the world 7 times out of 7!!, he's not ranked though, has never played any pro tournaments but has won one the biggest "amateur" tournament in Ireland. It's not "the" biggest, we have two futures and a challenger but it's the biggest that amateurs play if ya get me.) So, might get some advice from him. What do you think? Worth a shot? It went ok tonight. Am volleying well and moving well at net so, could be a good choice. And my natural gamestyle anyway is to attack. I'm an aggressive baseliner/serve and volleyer(sometimes)/ net rusher. Mostly play from the baseline though.

tennisdad65
02-11-2009, 12:44 PM
It is probably not a wise idea to change tactics for a big Spring Championship. Especially, if you have not practiced s&v and chip and charge a lot in your practice sessions or matches.

My advice would be to stick to your normal game plan and throw in a s&v here and there. If you are winning points continue. If you are getting killed with s&v, go back to normal.

On the other hand, if the opponents second serve is weak, rip it or chip and charge.. his second serve may be the shortest ball you get in a rally.

junbumkim
02-11-2009, 12:55 PM
If it's just another tournament, or if you want to experiment a little bit, it's not a bad idea.

I chip and charge off the 2nd serve if I am returning pretty well and playing well, i do it at lower level, around 4.0.

In my opinion, this is particularly effective if you opponent is missing a lot of first serves, having difficulty holding serves, or has a weak 2nd serve.

Unless I am being very successful, I try to mix it up and use it on points where the opponent has a lot of pressure (15-30, love-30, or even 30 all on his serves).

I think mixing it up would be even more crucial on your serves. First, you should find out what serves your opponent is having difficulty dealing with and then exploit that a lot.

LeeD
02-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Depends how good your actual serve and volley game is....
If you can get them off balance on your serves, go for it.
If you can volley well against a heavy topspin ball, go for it.
If you can consistently return half volleys, overheads, and backhand overheads, go for it.
Always change a game that is losing.
Try to keep the same game if it's winning.
For volleying return of serve, best to go for low shots, as topspinners normally like to hit off high balls. Make them dig by going mostly crosscourt over the lower middle of the net.
Good luck.

Rickson
02-11-2009, 01:02 PM
I hope you have a good 2nd serve.

Lotto
02-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Depends how good your actual serve and volley game is....
If you can get them off balance on your serves, go for it.
If you can volley well against a heavy topspin ball, go for it.
If you can consistently return half volleys, overheads, and backhand overheads, go for it.
Always change a game that is losing.
Try to keep the same game if it's winning.
For volleying return of serve, best to go for low shots, as topspinners normally like to hit off high balls. Make them dig by going mostly crosscourt over the lower middle of the net.
Good luck.

Well I actually have really good hands. My coach has complimented me on this. He loves my half volleys, my overheads are decent, backhand overheads are, well meh. My biggest strength at the net to be honest are my drop-volleys and angled volleys. I have soft hands and good touch. I'm not the best with hitting a good hard volley and putting it away but it can be done.

It's not my game that's losing it's my strokes. I am the most inconsistent player to ever play this game I reckon. For 5-7 days all of my shots could be on fire, I could be hitting winners and good shots all over the place and then suddenly I wake up the next morning and they are "gone" and they mightn't return for days or even up to a month, it's weird.

But I play a really low-percentage, flat, aggressive game. Maybe that's why I can be red hot or freezing cold?? I go for winners on nearly all of my shots my dad has said and he says I go for the big shot all of the time. So my play is really low percentage and really flat, I don't like topspin, quite unusual for a 16 year old junior to say that lol.

I hope you have a good 2nd serve.

Well, it's not bad. I hit around 5-6 2nd serve aces in the past two weeks. And I'm not messing. And it was to the forehand side, slice kicker out wide on the deuce side 8-)

LeeD
02-11-2009, 01:58 PM
First strike hard hit balls is the most fun style of tennis, for me.
Nice to have options when Plan A doesn't work out, like sometimes your groundies.
But you know, even the very top pros have OFF days as bad, or worse than yours! Just you don't notice because they can still be winning with their worse games.
I once talked to BobbyLutz (two years earlier ranked #4 or so in the world) after he anniliated my buddy PeterPearson in the first round of a pro tournament. He BROKE his racket right after match point. Said his game sucked and he's quitting the tour.
He quit the tour about 4 months later, at age maybe low 30's, just before the GrandSlam season.

Lotto
02-11-2009, 02:01 PM
He's a pro though. I don't think I'll have to worry about quitting the pro tour lol. I won't have to worry about the pro tour full stop unless Federer keeps losing to Nadal. :(

I hope to get a video up soon. I can't find people and the time to film it with. The weather has been terrible the last two weeks. Snow, Snow and more Snow but it's class because Ireland never gets snow!!

maverick66
02-11-2009, 02:16 PM
use it as a mix not your main weapon. if you can do it and put pressure on there serve then great but step back and hit one hard as well. dont get into the same pattern over and over again a good player will adjust. if i know you wanna chip and charge im gonna hit all kinds of spin on my serve making it very difficult for you to keep the return down. also if your gonna serve and volley every point i know what i need to do. where as if you sometimes come forward and sometimes dont it gets me off balance cause i dont know whats coming at me.

wihamilton
02-11-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm going to try a new tactic in the spring championships next week. I'm gonna serve and volley and chip and charge off 2nd serves. What do ya's think? The reason I've decided to do this is because at the moment I am playing absolutely terrible from the back. My one handed backhand has disappeared and my biggest weapon, the forehand has gone on holiday lol.
It's a national tournament though. I don't know how I'll do. I experimented tonight in a practice mess around and it was ok. I might do a coaching session on it before the tournament starts though to get advice. One of my coaches is a 5.5+ player (well, he must be that because he got a tennis scholarship to oxford, played at Wimbledon for oxford in the inter-colleges thing and he's beaten an Irish pro ranked 1186 in the world 7 times out of 7!!, he's not ranked though, has never played any pro tournaments but has won one the biggest "amateur" tournament in Ireland. It's not "the" biggest, we have two futures and a challenger but it's the biggest that amateurs play if ya get me.) So, might get some advice from him. What do you think? Worth a shot? It went ok tonight. Am volleying well and moving well at net so, could be a good choice. And my natural gamestyle anyway is to attack. I'm an aggressive baseliner/serve and volleyer(sometimes)/ net rusher. Mostly play from the baseline though.

I think this is somewhat opponent-dependent. If your opponent has great passing shots you're in for a long (or short) match.

LeeD
02-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Lotto...
Instead of focusing on Lutz quitting pro tennis, maybe you should look at his breaking his racket AFTER match point, when he won zip and zip against NorCal's #2 A player.
He was incest, like someone who's wife was taken...... He threw his racket bag, and stomped off the court, saying it was his worse tennis in years. And he played tennis a long time.
Point again.... YOU might not know it, but pros play ALL THE TIME at their lowest and lower levels. Rigors of travel, airlines, different schedules, inconsistent food and lodging, groupies or lack of, seeding disputes, appearance money, all those things you don't think about, but HUGELY affect every PRO players performance on the court.
You are just like every other tennis player, you have UP days, then you have DOWN days.

Slicendicer
02-11-2009, 08:37 PM
If you get a "good" look at a second serve and decide to C & C. Try this... hit the slice into your opponents feet. Don't float one over the net to the wheel-house, knife a slice if you can. I used to play a few guys, man... they could freakin' rip the ball while on the run, but if I hit at them, they couldn't move out of the way.

Lotto
02-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Cheers for the advice, I'll give it a go and see how it is. Tournament starts on the 19th, what day is that? :oops: Next Thursday I think.

(FEDERER)vs(NADAL)
02-12-2009, 12:02 AM
yep do it.

halalula1234
02-12-2009, 03:14 AM
well i dont think it would be that good if you do it on nearly every point because that will make you too predictable. . Have ever tried coming to the net hoping to hit a random ball while you are on the defence? it takes a lot of anticipation but its soo surprising to ur opponenets but i wouldnt recommend doing it unless you sure you might loose the point. take a chance.

LeeD
02-12-2009, 08:18 AM
You just described the game of one IlieNastase, a former # ONE in the world. He had inconsistent groundies, but made up for it with superior hand eye, extreme quickness, confident attitude, big serve, and a penchant for doing the unexpected, at the most enexpected times.