PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Request: the Racket Forum Encyclopedia

S H O W S T O P P E R !
02-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Have you ever entered a forum here and you see vocabulary like k90, kps88, POG, LM, OS, MP, etc etc and thought: "wait, what?!" So I decided to make a list of slang we use here so 1- people don't make threads asking what the term means and 2- we are all on the same page. I'm going to miss A LOT of terms, so post some other terms on here and I'll try my best to add them on and if I make a mistake, call me on it (but don't be too much of a youknowwhat :D) Any moderator who reads this: please sticky this and allow other people to type here.

**DISCLAIMER** I do NOT care if you believe if Fed is using some other racket or using another paintjob (also known as 'pj') or whatever. DO NOT spam this board and make it harder for me to update the main page.

Well, let's get onto the terms...

POG: Prince Original Graphite, an extremely popular line of rackets used by many players in the 90's when they won Grand Slams. Is no longer in production and is a prized collector's racket.

ps: Wilson Prostaff, the racket used by Pete Sampras. Another rare racket that collectors would bid for.

kps88: Wilson kProStaff 88, the reincarnation of the ProStaff but with kFactor technology.

k90 and k95: The kFactor k6-1 Tour 90, Roger Federer's racket of choice (however is highly disputed on these boards by hardcore Federer fans) and kFactor k6-1 95, a very popular racket on the pro tour. A slightly more forgiving version of the k6-1 Tour 90.

LM: Head Liquidmetal, referring to a line of highly touted rackets like the Liquidmetal Radical and Liquidmetal Prestige.

MG: Head Microgel, a Head line of rackets with the Microgel tech. Is the current flagship line of rackets for Head.

"n": refers to nCode, a former flagship line of Wilson rackets. The predecessor to the kFactor line, it is usually referred alongside the n90, which was the racket Federer used before he used the k90.

PD: Pure Drive, a highly successful line of rackets made by Babolat which is signified by the color blue on the racket paintjob.

APD: AeroPro Drive, the racket used by Rafael Nadal. May also be called the "APDC" which is the same racket but with Cortex, a vibration dampener system in the racket.

OS: Oversize, which means the headsize is larger. Usually the oversize rackets have +105 sq. in. headsizes, but many "purist" players will say 100 sq. in. is an oversize.

MP+: Midplus, which means the racket has a headsize of usually 95-104 sq. in. The go-to headsize for most serious players and is disputed among players sometimes.

william7gr
02-11-2009, 01:50 PM
There was something similar to this in the TW questions section a while back but most people dont look there for racquets.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
02-11-2009, 02:00 PM
There was something similar to this in the TW questions section a while back but most people dont look there for racquets.

Exactly :)

Gorecki
02-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Aramid : heat-resistant and strong synthetic fibers . They are also used in aerospace and military applications, for ballistic rated body armor fabric, and as an asbestos substitute. The name is a shortened form of "aromatic polyamide". Used in Racquet technology under branded names such as Twaron and Kevlar.

Kevlar : is the registered trademark for a light, strong para-aramid synthetic fiber, related to other aramids such as Nomex and Technora. Developed at DuPont in 1965 . See also Aramid

Twaron : para-aramid heat-resistant and strong synthetic fiber developed in the early 1970s by the Dutch company AKZO. See also Aramid

ps: just my 2 cents. nice idea

Gorecki
02-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Twintube (TT) : Head players racquet's double layer construction. The inner hard shell of TwinTube technology is made of pure graphite. The outer shell consists of soft, absorbing polyamide.Claimed to increase ball acceleration combined with better, overall racquet feel.

Bud
02-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Why not just reference this thread under the current FAQ forum?

I thought the TT moderators were trying to cut down on the number of 'sticky' posts (after the last time) when they took up half the first page of the forum.

SFrazeur
02-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Voltron already visited this idea: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=2639303&postcount=6

-SF

william7gr
02-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Voltron already visited this idea: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=2639303&postcount=6

-SF

Thanks thats what I was talking about but couldn't find it.