PDA

View Full Version : POG Oversize users

Dark Matter
02-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Has anyone strung their rackets with Lux ALU Rough (mains) and Prince Topspin (crosses)? If so, how did you like the set-up? What tension did you try? Thanks to those who respond. -DM

davidahenry
02-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Nope, but I play with full Lux Alu Power Rough in a POG MidPlus. I absolutely love it. I tried a hybrid recently of Alu Power Rough mains and Tecnifibre NRG2 crosses. It was decent - just a little too soft and a little too powerful for my liking, so I went back to full Alu Power Rough.

Take care.

David

goldenyama
02-12-2009, 02:12 AM
I wouldn't recommend Prince Topspin as a cross - I have used it once and my strings moved all over the place. Also you wont get much of the benifit of the textured string in the crosses.

I would recommend Pro Supex Maxim Touch or Spiral Flex as a good cheap cross.

The_Question
02-12-2009, 06:56 AM
Any texture strings will cut into another string, example, topspin, razor spin, super spin, etc...

2handsbothsides
02-12-2009, 05:08 PM
I still find a full job of fresh Prince Topspin with Duraflex 15L has better power, feel and spin compared to a LUX hybrid in the POG OS.

2handsbothsides
02-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Also the white Prince Topspin with Duraflex is softer and more playable than yellow. Gold is most crisp. Really a significant difference with the 3 colors.

Dark Matter
02-12-2009, 05:22 PM
interesting. i used a full set in the oversize for quite awhile, but after switching to a hybrid set-up (and dialing in the right tension) i can't imagine going back to full. the mid+ and oversize frames are quite different, so very hard to compare. anyway, thanks david.

Dark Matter
02-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Also the white Prince Topspin with Duraflex is softer and more playable than yellow. Gold is most crisp. Really a significant difference with the 3 colors.

i didn't realize that. good to know! i got the gold for no good reason. it does seem crisp, although i know i'm mostly "feeling" the LUX Rough. have only hit with this new set-up once, for about an hour and like it so far. also, i've been tempted to due a full set of Prince Topspin...you may have edged me closer! thanks for you input.

Dark Matter
02-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Any texture strings will cut into another string, example, topspin, razor spin, super spin, etc...

yeah, that is a concern i have. this may prove to be a not-too-durable concoction! if i like the LUX Rough i may have to go back to Gosen Micro on the crosses.

The_Question
02-12-2009, 08:19 PM
My camera isn't the best, but here are examples of Babolat Razor Spin after only 2 hours of play, strung @ 65lbs...

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6269/rspin02bc6.jpg

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3796/rspin01nw3.jpg

Dark Matter
02-13-2009, 01:41 PM
My camera isn't the best, but here are examples of Babolat Razor Spin after only 2 hours of play, strung @ 65lbs...

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6269/rspin02bc6.jpg

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3796/rspin01nw3.jpg

your camera captured the evidence. those are some seriously deep deep grooves in short order (2 hrs.)!

Dark Matter
04-18-2009, 04:03 PM
I really like this combo. I've been rotating three rackets over a 2 1/2 month period of time, playing 2-3 times a week (intense drilling + singles and dubs off and on). I'd say I got a full month out of the string job, and even liked the playability up to breaking the LUX mains, today. Tension was 65lbs. mains, 60 crosses. I prefer the Prince Topspin 15L over Gosen Micro Sheep, which kind of surprises me. For the next batch of rackets I'm gonna swap out the gold for the white to test the softer feel.

2handsbothsides
04-19-2009, 07:09 PM
The softer feel of the white vs. yellow will be subtle as a cross only. If you want a step change softer go Forten Sweet 16 in the cross. Use the softer natural color and it will really lock the main for added spin.

Dark Matter
04-20-2009, 06:10 PM
2hands,
from your experience would you say that Forten Sweet 16 retains its tension better than Prince Topsin 15L Gold (or white, or yellow)? How would you describe the difference in feel & control?
...I appreciate your thoughts.

2handsbothsides
04-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Topspin is a firm control string with good power and feel. Reasonably good tension maintenance, certainly better than most multi's. Sweet 16 is soft and mute with maybe slightly better tension maintenance. Less power than Topspin. Its thicker than most 16 gauge syn guts. A great low cost locking cross that provides a soft complementary feel for almost anything from gut to poly and everything in between.