PDA

View Full Version : I just played the worst match ever!!!!

mmb334
02-11-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm sorry this is so long - I need some advice from some of the more experienced players out there. I play in a Ladies 2.5 USTA League and I need to vent after playing the worst match ever. Between our opponents' continuous bad calls, their captain strolling onto the court during a point to tell them how to play the point, and non-stop sideline coaching by thier coach, we didn't stand a chance. After the third bad call in the second game (my partner was serving and we were up 1-0 games), I was so frustrated, I called them on the bad calls (in a nice way) just to let them know I knew what they were doing. A few games later (we were winning) their captain strolled onto our side of the court (I'm not kidding) , called them over, and proceeded to coach them. I told them they couldn't receive coaching during the match and it was distracting. They denied what they were doing but I heard them. We lost the first set 7-5. Despite the constant bad calls, we won the second set 6-2. Then the fun really began. We we're getting ready to start the 10 point tie-break when their coach called them over the court next to us and was coaching them, telling them how to play us, strategy, etc. (he was talking so loud we could hear every word). We were standing over to the side talking to our captain and another member of our team when I mentioned it was the worst match I have ever played. We went and told them that they could not receive coaching during the match (we even called our coach to confirm it). They said they could and ignored us. One of our opponents came over to me started yelling, screaming, waving arms, and pointing at me and said to me "You're a B****! And that we take the game way too seriously. I was horrified at her behavior and reminded her (in a civilized manner) that they were ones that brought their coach along. We started the tie-break (I was completely rattled) and were playing awesome. They kept winning points by calling all my serves out (I have a pretty good hard fast serve) because they could get their racquet on it - it was obvious to everyone else watching that th e serves were in by at least a foot. Well, all that cheating won them the match - they won the tie break 10-8. I guess they felt the only way to beat us was to cheat. This team has a history of being cheaters.
Do we have any grounds for grievances against that team? We have to play them next season and hopefully try to stop it from happening again. Thank you !!!!!!

pabletion
02-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Cheatin is something you dont have to let pass by ever...., in anything....... It sounds like a horrible experience, and if it had been me, I wouldnt even have finished the match. If all that would have happened and didnt stop, etc etc..., I wouldve left, tell them screw you guys, I dont play with cheaters... etc etc. But before gettin to that, why not find an official? Before that, call them on everything that goes on... dont let them get away with it, if they call a good ball out, say no friggin way! Call the match if coachin goes on and they keep at it.... geez so much you could have done, but it sucks you had such a bad experience...

Next time, put the gloves on, dont let it go outta hands, cheaters must be called off!

Crusher10s
02-12-2009, 06:37 AM
Because the men on this forum (most anyway) do not understand that women are wired differently and therefore will act differently, I've decided to give you a little advice from the female perspective.

There's an official called the Local League Coordinator (LLC) that you should call ASAP and file a grievance with.

In the future, your captain (captains are supposed to have a clue but clearly yours doesn't), has an obligation to have on hand the USTA Rules of Tennis and The Code and should have pointed out (by finding the rule in the USTA Rules Book) to your opponents' coach and/or captain that coaching a team during a match is strictly forbidden.

Now all the above is assuming you were in a local league match and had not advanced to a playoff. If you were at a playoff then there would have been roving umpires that you could have called to your court.

At no time should you or anyone else continue to play a tennis match that has become so hostile that your opponent gets in your face and waves her arms at you and calls you a *****. That right there is not only a violation of The Code, it's a violaton of the law (curse and abuse) and should have resulted in a grievance, a code violation, a police report (and if it were me LOL), a trip to the emergency room for the little darlin' who waved her arms at me in a threatening manner and called me a *****.

Tarboro
02-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Your league probably has rules about this sort of thing. For a regular-season match you can probably have the two captains come call lines. The other team's captain calls on your side, and your captain calls on their side.

Note, that doesn't mean that they call every line, just that they make close calls where there might be some disagreement.

If that doesn't work (if you feel their captain is making bad calls on your side of the court or your captain doesn't want to confront the other team) you should speak to the league coordinator. He or she may make arrangements to be there in person to see what's going on. In addition, they may choose to have an independent third party come out to serve as a roving official.

Lastly, if your league has a grievance committee (not all leagues do) they're the last word on how severe the infraction is and what punishment is meted out. My local (non-USTA) doubles league has suspended and banned players for excessive cheating and for threatening opponents, but in both cases the circumstances had to be confirmed by a grievance committee member with no affiliation to the complaining team or the defendant.

saram
02-12-2009, 07:21 AM
Sorry to hear that you had such a horrible USTA experience. Your Local League Coordinator should be contacted ASAP (as stated above). Players and teams like this only hinder the USTA and its enjoyment and competition.

LeeD
02-12-2009, 07:24 AM
As above, your coach should have filed the protest and grievance.
Happens in Mens C singles too, but GoldenGatePark SanFrancisco decided to give the cheater the win, but banished him from further tournaments at the club. I was the recipient of the cheated.

saram
02-12-2009, 07:27 AM
As above, your coach should have filed the protest and grievance.
Happens in Mens C singles too, but GoldenGatePark SanFrancisco decided to give the cheater the win, but banished him from further tournaments at the club. I was the recipient of the cheated.

Glad to hear Karma is still working these days....

beernutz
02-12-2009, 07:57 AM
Boy, I've been hooked in matches before but I don't think it was ever as blatantly bad as you describe. I've never done this in response but if I was in your shoes I'd have been tempted to hook them right back. And do so blatantly so that they knew EXACTLY what I was doing. I'm not sure I'd have done that anyway but boy I would have been tempted.

Like others have said, your captain should file a complaint asap with the LLC. My guess is it won't have been the first one filed against this team.

mikeler
02-12-2009, 10:20 AM
I've never done this in response but if I was in your shoes I'd have been tempted to hook them right back. And do so blatantly so that they knew EXACTLY what I was doing. I'm not sure I'd have done that anyway but boy I would have been tempted.
ess is it won't have been the first one filed against this team.

My coach as a junior taught me the "hook back" strategy. I was complaining about a guy who was cheating me in a tournament. So he showed me how to handle it. He had me serve to him. My serve landed in the middle of the box, he caught it with his bare hand and called it immediately out.

I never thought I'd use that bold strategy, but I was getting killed by a much better player in a tournament who was cheating quite a bit. I did that to him and he freaked out on me. Guess what, he did not hook me the rest of the match. I did it in one or two matches after that but the opponents were more confused than anything, they thought I was calling a let so I just let it go.

fuzz nation
02-19-2009, 12:59 PM
I hope that you have some success in getting those opponents hammered in some administrative sort sanction. I coach high school kids and also do some teaching, so this sport has come to mean a lot to me, especially in terms of the standards we all must meet in unofficiated competition. If it's any comfort to you, people like those opponents you locked horns with just plain suck. They have no business spreading their misery in our sport and if your description of their behavior is anywhere near accurate (I trust that it is), you'd be doing a lot of your peers a great service by taking your case to the "higher up's".

You're right, they're wrong. Go get 'em. There's absolutely no place for that kind of abuse of other players or of the game's integrity by anyone. Please keep us posted.

JavierLW
02-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Yes you do have grounds for a grievance, they are not allowed to coach during the match.

That's amazing that they were so blatant about it as well.

Since it was your worst match experience ever (and heck I agree, it sounds worse then any match Ive been a part of), your team should file a grievence at least.

Besides being total cheaters people like that really destroy any enjoyment there is in playing the match. (which you might of had if you had lost against someone who was not cheating)

JavierLW
02-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Because the men on this forum (most anyway) do not understand that women are wired differently and therefore will act differently, I've decided to give you a little advice from the female perspective.

There's an official called the Local League Coordinator (LLC) that you should call ASAP and file a grievance with.

In the future, your captain (captains are supposed to have a clue but clearly yours doesn't), has an obligation to have on hand the USTA Rules of Tennis and The Code and should have pointed out (by finding the rule in the USTA Rules Book) to your opponents' coach and/or captain that coaching a team during a match is strictly forbidden.

Now all the above is assuming you were in a local league match and had not advanced to a playoff. If you were at a playoff then there would have been roving umpires that you could have called to your court.

At no time should you or anyone else continue to play a tennis match that has become so hostile that your opponent gets in your face and waves her arms at you and calls you a *****. That right there is not only a violation of The Code, it's a violaton of the law (curse and abuse) and should have resulted in a grievance, a code violation, a police report (and if it were me LOL), a trip to the emergency room for the little darlin' who waved her arms at me in a threatening manner and called me a *****.

While you may be right about how some women have a different perspective then men on some of these things, I dont think it's fair for you somehow to paint this as something specific to what happens in women's tennis or how women are going to react.

This situation could of happened in a Men's or Women's match, it's just a symptom of bad behavior in general.

The reaction is as well, because there are a lots of weenie Male captains out there as well that may just let this sort of thing slide (perhaps out of lazyiness or just general lack of wanting to get too involved) even though the occurance totally ruined the experience for their own players.

Likewise there are Male captains that are like you and would of gotten more motivated to complain as well. I know I would, Im going to look out for my players (winning or losing the match is totally secondary to that) and as the captain I think it's my responsibility to complain.

Im not sure why you felt the need to throw the gender issue into this.

The rules are the same for everyone. If this had been an incident with a men's league and someone asked, they'd get the exact same advice.

(and Id still say it was the worst experience I ever heard of, nobody likes putting up with crap like that)

tennismike33
02-19-2009, 01:57 PM

As a coach of a 3.0 ladies team, with a wife who is playing 2.5, and a 4.5 player who enjoys playing mixed doubles, I feel you are generalizing in your male comment. That being said these actions seem to happen at the USTA level too many times to count. Constant rule violations, code infractions and all around nasty actions seem to be prevelant in the USTA arena of competition. Coaching of any kind is strictly prohibited. Calling a person names seems to be the instant reaction to having your bad conduct being called into question.

Learn the rules, abide by the rules, and captains, make the other teams live up to the rules and the code. Captains, be proactive when you view issues happening on the courts, do not allow poor sportsPERSONship to be disregarded.