PDA

View Full Version : Do you find it difficult getting the right grip size?

AndrewD
02-28-2005, 03:35 AM
I was wondering if it was just me or do others have problems in finding the right grip size for their hand? I seem to spend more time than I care to in building up a grip, replacing overgrips and basically just fiddling around with the size, all because I dont have a standard sized hand. Although I dont have long fingers I do have a very large palm and nothing regulation size seems to be comfortable. When I bought my current racquet I got it in a 4 5/8 thinking that may be the right fit. However, when playing, even with an overgrip, there still seemed to be some twisting in my hand. It was most noticeable on the volley when I couldn't properly use the continental grip as my hand would move slightly and Id end up with a mishit and on my forehand where Id seem to not be able to find the semi-western grip, ending up at either the easter or full western.

I've now stripped off the leather grip, put on two synthetic replacement grips and one overwrap and it feels about right. The racquet stays nice and solid in my hand on serve and volleys and when I move to semi-western on my forehand and backhand Im not slipping to either the full western or an eastern grip. Haven't checked it but think it must be up to a 5.

Anyone else have similar problems?

Aykhan Mammadov
02-28-2005, 11:37 AM
I don't have any problems with that, my palm as me myself is not big. And I know that my size is either 2 or 3 ( = 8+3/4). There is good method to determine. You are keeping your racquet from the grip as strong as possible, somebody keeps it from tip ( top of the head) and trying to twist it, and you are trying not to let him to twist it. In right grip size you fills that you keep it stronger and an opponent can't twist it easily.

If there is doubt as in my case, something between 2 or 3 I'm going for bigger to prevent elbow problem.

AndrewD
02-28-2005, 01:30 PM
The problem is not so much determining what my grip size is but building the grip up. Most companies only go as high as a 4 5/8 so if you've got a big hand you've got to fix it yourself. I need something around a 5 but they dont go that big any longer.

aj_m2009
03-03-2005, 01:44 AM
I myself am only 13 so my hand isn't real big yet so all I have to do is get a racket with a 4 3/8 grip and then I put an overgrip on it. But now I may just get a 4 1/2 grip 'cause it is really about the same size. But in the future I may have the same problem as you but I hope not. Anyway, to answer your question, no I don't(fortunately).