PDA

View Full Version : What to do when there's

tntennis
02-12-2009, 10:02 AM
no one to hit with. Should I just go to the courts and hit balls alone?

beernutz
02-12-2009, 10:54 AM

Ball machine
Tennis books and/or videos
Find more tennis friends
Go to public court and try to get a pickup game
TW forums FTW!

Jim A
02-12-2009, 10:58 AM
ball machine -

or
footwork drills
form drills
serve practice

GPB
02-12-2009, 11:11 AM
I serve or do footwork drills/sprints.

spot
02-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Whats wrong with taking a bucket of balls out to practice your serve? Virtually no one practices their serve as much as they should.

tntennis
02-12-2009, 11:40 AM
where do i find footwork drills?

Verno Inferno
02-12-2009, 12:26 PM
I always loved to use tennis walls/backboards back in the day. But where I live now, backboards are hard to come by. So I hunt down the nearest park or middle school or high school that has a brick wall (with no windows) and an empty parking lot. Be smart / friendly / discreet about hitting a ball against the wall of some building you don't own. Make sure it's public-ish.

Excellent work out and excellent for improving your ability to get ready quicker.

burosky
02-12-2009, 12:51 PM

I'm assuming you have a basket of balls when you said "hit balls alone". Otherwise, you may be the first person who is able to rally alone. :)

tntennis
02-12-2009, 12:57 PM
yeah i have a basket of balls

jefferson
02-12-2009, 04:52 PM
I would go to the local public courts and practice my serves. All the while hoping that someone would come to play with someone else. Then you watch their level, if they are someone you would like to hit with or play, then strike up a conversation. Of course not during their match but when the opportunity arises then try. Exchange numbers, etc and maybe you can enter their tennis group.
good luck

burosky
02-13-2009, 01:59 PM
You could always do what other folks do here. Place an "ad" for folks to contact you if they are close by and interested in hitting with you.

NetMaster70
02-13-2009, 06:12 PM
The old backboard is a good way to work on your ground strokes.

Fay
02-13-2009, 07:39 PM
The old backboard is a good way to work on your ground strokes.

That and the one about serving practice are excellent.

If you are lucky enough to find a court open, hitting against the net near the post is great .... big loop swing and let it bounce twice will really be a work out.

I have sought out buildings (back of shopping centers or Walmart) as well.

I stood yesterday in a foot of snow hitting serves into an outdoor handball court so that I would be a little warmed up for my match in Sedona today.

If there is a will there is a way :-)

saram
02-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Very few players 4.5 and under think about fitness. Go for a run, work on speed, agility, and stop and go sprints. If you want to look like a fool, grab a racket and pretend you are playing a point all out 'shadow boxing' and go as hard with as much movement and stop/go as you can. People work on strokes all the time--they forget to work on quick-twitch muscles in their legs and recovering between points.

EasleyTennis
02-21-2009, 11:54 AM
serve serve serve. Also go to a local park where people play and see if you can squeeze in a doubles match. You might make some friends and have future buddies to play with.

Steady Eddy
02-23-2009, 11:58 AM
^^^I was gonna say, practicing the serve is a good idea. What's the problem? Afraid of getting a serve that's too good? Also, use your racquet to hit the ball straight up into the air. Let it bounce and practice your smash. Try it from up close to the net, and from back behind the baseline. I think I actually get better practice on this alone, than with someone who sprays lobs all over the place.

LeeD
02-23-2009, 12:18 PM
I never prearrange a match since 1979.
Just go to courts, hit the wall, and meet some people who ask you to play.
Or you can ask them.
I'm the best guy around without a blackbook, so I shy away from asking too many unknown players.

tntennis
02-23-2009, 12:24 PM
All great ideas. Thanks guys.

rasajadad
02-24-2009, 04:55 AM
Ball machine
OR
Practice serves

TennisDawg
02-24-2009, 10:57 AM

Don't know if there's tournaments in your area, but assuming there are, I would just go practice on a Backboard, ball machine, hit serves all the obvious solo tennis drills and play tournaments when you can. If someone shows up try and get a match with them. If you have no tournaments and no one around to hit with, I would take up another hobby. Speaking from experience solo-tennis can get very very boring. I have similar problems, but I quit worrying about it, I enter a tournament every now and then and get pick-up matches when I can. It's not ideal because you don't get any practice with actual partners.

Satch
02-24-2009, 11:25 AM

is it even possible?

Fay
02-24-2009, 02:19 PM

If there are courts someone will show up some time ... if not that day, you can come up with a lot of good exercises to work on some aspect of your tennis.

I used to go to the courts with the idea of just hitting serves for an hour or two and some guy would show up to hit serves.... I'd ask if I could receive his serves .... another guy I asked if he'd want to hit with me .....

Just keep going and you'll get to meet some people at the courts .... also
practice against a wall no matter how boring or difficult.
Not many people have the discipline to do that ... I heard a lot of pros practiced
against boards for hours ....

think of people in Siberia, etc., etc. who STILL manage to get into the pro
tournaments ... if there is a will there is a way.