PDA

View Full Version : Clearing A Court

bumfluff
02-12-2009, 11:36 AM
So the courts down the road from me are covered in Snow even though it hasn't snowed for a bout a week. Its no more than 3 inches thick. I really want to go and practice some serves. Anyone here old hands at clearing snow from a court and have any advice/know how long it could take to free a court.

OvertheFence
02-12-2009, 11:47 AM
They have the nets up even in winter?

bumfluff
02-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Yep, some people still go and play.

JavierLW
02-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Yep, some people still go and play.

How do they deal with the snow?

You must live in an apartment like me if you dont how to get rid of snow. :) Or your parents do it for you.

Otherwise anyone with a driveway, or sidewalk has the same issue except that they have to do every single time it snows.

You'd probably want some sort of giant snow shovel (the kind that can clear a large path so you dont have to make several report trips back and forth).

Or have someone make your own, imagine a big flat giant piece of metal (like a sign) on a pole. Works wonders as long as there is not a lot of snow on the ground.

Maybe a snowblower? (you'd probably still have to shovel here and there)

If you are just serving, then why shovel at all? It would be fun if the balls just stick wherever they land. (although they'd be ruined probably)

Geezer Guy
02-12-2009, 01:49 PM
... If you are just serving, then why shovel at all? It would be fun if the balls just stick wherever they land. (although they'd be ruined probably)

I like that idea. Don't clear the court, just go out and serve (old balls). The marks in the snow would leave an excellent accounting of where your serves were hitting, how many were good, bad, right on the line, etc. Like having your own Shot-Spot.

bumfluff
02-12-2009, 02:23 PM
I like that idea. Don't clear the court, just go out and serve (old balls). The marks in the snow would leave an excellent accounting of where your serves were hitting, how many were good, bad, right on the line, etc. Like having your own Shot-Spot.

Good plan, what I might do...

Clear an area at the baseline, clear the service lines and serve then I can see the marks but still know if they are in. I think they probably will bounce a little.

It doesn't snow all the often here couple of times over the winter at most really.

BullDogTennis
02-12-2009, 02:28 PM
um id say shovel it. but then you might want to give it a day or so to dry(bc it will prob melt a bit when it is shoveled.

bumfluff
02-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Its an Astroturf court so they are still perfectly playable when wet.

WNocturne
02-12-2009, 02:56 PM
just shovel it. It would be a pain to have to retrieve those balls back cuz of the snow.

jefferson
02-12-2009, 05:14 PM
We used to do it when we were kids. We would shovel it. But the courts were still unplayable, they dont dry. small granules of ice and snow. Even when the sun would melt that, it was still too cold for it to dry. It would just freeze again. No win situation. Gotta wait until spring.