PDA

View Full Version : Most common causes for shots going long?

manu7381
02-12-2009, 03:14 PM
My game can be very inconsistent at times, especially my forehand which after doing great the day before it start flying long on me. What are usually the most common problems resulting in this sudden change IE: Footwork, moving head, not bending kness, etc..

Thanks

P.S. Don't respond with open racquet face:)

ThA_Azn_DeViL
02-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Number one culprit: Footwork.

UncleRico.
02-12-2009, 03:25 PM
This man knows what's up.

Footwork is the #1 cause of 99% of tennis technique related problems.

Okazaki Fragment
02-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Your opponent might be hitting the ball outside your normal strike zone.

Eph
02-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Footwork, strings/spin, not watching the ball

soyizgood
02-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Footwork is definitely a main culprit. Bad footwork or late reaction can result in:
* arming the shot
* reaching for the ball
* not bending the knees
* rushing the swing
* hitting off-balance

Of course, bad stroke techniques can lead to:
* shanking
* not finishing through on the stroke
* pronating before making contact
* hitting with racquet face open instead of squared
* poor judgment like hitting for massive topspin when the ball high enough to hit a high percentage flattened shot

Then again, not focusing on the ball before contact can lead to guiding the direction of the ball but mishitting. Especially when trying to apply heavy topspin in the process.

Lots of things and then some.

LeeD
02-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Or, he could just be hitting too high over the net.:):)

heycal
02-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Dyslexia.

The length of a tennis court is 78 feet long, but dyslexics read that as 87 feet, and thus their balls are flying long.

Satch
02-12-2009, 04:33 PM
racquet head speed.

oneguy21
02-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Your racquet face might be too open.

LeeD
02-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Turn sideways and close your shoulders!

Nellie
02-12-2009, 05:21 PM
if you hit too hard and without topspin, you will have some great shots between a load of misses.

fuzz nation
02-12-2009, 07:03 PM
There's a subtle hitch that sneaks into the forehand stroke of even some of the pros from time to time, but if you're not aware of it, you can send more balls long the more you try to keep them down on the court. Yes, it has to do with the racquet face opening up.

Watch the angle that your chest and shoulders are on as you hit your stroke. They should be "down" in a vertical plane through your shot, but often as we try to generate topspin, that can get us pulling up through the hitting zone and effectively opening our chest and shoulders up to the sky a bit. If you hold your racquet still at the contact point, open your chest up in the air and watch your racquet angle follow suit. Concentrate on keeping your chest down, even as you're trying to lift your stroke through the ball. You'll get a topspin stroke without opening up and sailing it.

LuckyR
02-12-2009, 08:53 PM
racquet head speed.

True. You need a very high RHS to add enough topspin to keep the balls in the court.

Element54
02-13-2009, 03:03 AM
racket head speed and footwork, make sure your get your core working/in position, and enough rhs to create the topspin.

ttbrowne
02-13-2009, 04:48 AM
My son will get into this long thing and his is caused be leaning back on the forehand.

yellowoctopus
02-13-2009, 07:15 AM
My son will get into this long thing and his is caused be leaning back on the forehand.

Me too. My biggest challenge on the groundstrokes, especially the forehand, is maintaining my balace and avoiding the tendency to lean back.

mozzer
02-13-2009, 07:18 AM
Leaning back, which i seem to do alot. Also, moving your head seems to contribute to it.

LeeD
02-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Last 3 posts, basically, you lean back, you hit too high.
You can choose to level your torso.
You can choose not to hit too high when you lean back:confused::confused:

yellowoctopus
02-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Last 3 posts, basically, you lean back, you hit too high.
You can choose to level your torso.
You can choose not to hit too high when you lean back:confused::confused:

Not sure how this helps; may be you are not trying to help :confused::confused:

LeeD
02-13-2009, 02:11 PM
You don't know tennis.
There are various almost opposing views to EVERY question.
Basic tenet... ball goes too long because it's hit too high over the net.
Basic tenet... Ball goes too short, or into the net, because it's hit too low over the net.
You can stablelize your trunk. You can adjust your swing. You can adjust your grip.
Or you can just hit the fricken ball LOWER over the net:):):)

user92626
02-13-2009, 02:47 PM
My game can be very inconsistent at times, especially my forehand which after doing great the day before it start flying long on me. What are usually the most common problems resulting in this sudden change IE: Footwork, moving head, not bending kness, etc..

Thanks

P.S. Don't respond with open racquet face:)

IMO the number one problem likely for most people, and trust me I just got out of hitting long trend lately myself -- so many threads and questions from me about FH :)), is...that they don't hit the ball at the 3 oclock spot (or 9 for lefty).

It's quite hard to hit powerfully enough to hit it out if you hit at that spot. Occassionally I feel like trying tons for speed and brushing, I may need to hit the ball at where the clock's short hand point at 2:50 (or 9:10 lefty)

ronalditop
02-13-2009, 04:38 PM
its weird that only with one side of the grip i can play great, good spin, pace and control, but when i try to use the other side of the grip i completely lose control, its like the face of the racquet never closes and my shots go out by much. i think its because on the one side i dont like i grip the racquet to low, but in the other side i grip it higher, so it feels comfortable.

zacinnc78
02-15-2009, 04:48 AM
Dyslexia.

The length of a tennis court is 78 feet long, but dyslexics read that as 87 feet, and thus their balls are flying long.
awesome ....or should i say emosewa

blue12
02-15-2009, 05:00 AM
Dyslexia.

Hilarious!!

blue12
02-15-2009, 05:02 AM
You don't know tennis.
There are various almost opposing views to EVERY question.
Basic tenet... ball goes too long because it's hit too high over the net.
Basic tenet... Ball goes too short, or into the net, because it's hit too low over the net.
You can stablelize your trunk. You can adjust your swing. You can adjust your grip.

What about spin!!!

ttbrowne
02-15-2009, 05:11 AM

Wow, I didn't know this game was so easy!

Thanks.

mozzer
02-15-2009, 05:42 AM
its weird that only with one side of the grip i can play great, good spin, pace and control, but when i try to use the other side of the grip i completely lose control, its like the face of the racquet never closes and my shots go out by much. i think its because on the one side i dont like i grip the racquet to low, but in the other side i grip it higher, so it feels comfortable.
Ahh, i feel the same, except i dont totally lose control. I think it has something to do with where you start your grip as this would make one side of the butt cap bigger.

autumn_leaf
02-15-2009, 06:33 AM
for going long

footwork as others has said and strokes. usually the reason mine go long is because the racquet was too open on contact.

zacinnc78
02-15-2009, 06:50 AM
having a swingpath that lends itself to huge topsin and then not using enough racquet speed to get enough spin to pull it down (so yea a complicated way of saying open face....in other words swing faster to get more spin )

Mansewerz
02-15-2009, 07:43 AM
My coach says to hit the ball out in front an arms length away, therefore it will be extended. I lot of times when I hit long, I'm hitting late.

JRstriker12
02-15-2009, 07:47 AM
1.Trying to hit too hard.
2. Hitting with an open racket face.
3. Leaning back during your stroke.
4. Not enough spin.
5. You suck at tennis ;)

obnoxious2
02-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Like what everyone else have been saying: footwork. Alot of times, people move too slow to the ball or are already setup to hit their shot so they are lazy to reposition. This leads them to catching the ball as it's falling instead of taking it at its peak height or on the rise.

WildVolley
02-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Late preparation and too little topspin often contribute to a ball being flatter than expected and going deeper than it should.

BullDogTennis
02-15-2009, 04:05 PM
FOOTWORK!
FOOTWORK!
FOOTWORK!
taking your eye off ball.
FOOTWORK!
FOOTWORK!
FOOTWORK!

robby c
02-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Looking up to see where you're aiming instead of just looking at the ball.
Robby C

crystal_clear
02-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Late preparation and too little topspin often contribute to a ball being flatter than expected and going deeper than it should.

Yeah, hitting balls late so you don't have time to go low to high to generate topspin.