PDA

View Full Version : the kick serve

<3tennis!!!
02-12-2009, 03:42 PM
ok , so basically the only really torublesome shot i am hitting atm is the 2nd serve which is a bit too inconsistent(like 4 or 5 dfs a match) which is way too many for my liking. anyway i was just wondering what are the essential basics of hitting a consistent kick 2nd serve?? any other suggestions would be welcome. cheers:)

LeeD
02-12-2009, 03:54 PM
I'd think, before learning a kick serve, you should learn the easier to replicate and hit.... the topspin serve. Dat won, you stroke toward your opponent at a lower location than flat serves, the ball goes towards the opponent, about 3'-4' over the net, and drops into the service box due to a combination of gravity, slow ball speed, and topspin.
A kick serve is hit much higher over the net, needs a toss farther back over your head, and needs an upward stroke of the racketface....something that is harder to learn and harder to replicate when you are stressed and tired.

<3tennis!!!
02-12-2009, 04:18 PM
I'd think, before learning a kick serve, you should learn the easier to replicate and hit.... the topspin serve. Dat won, you stroke toward your opponent at a lower location than flat serves, the ball goes towards the opponent, about 3'-4' over the net, and drops into the service box due to a combination of gravity, slow ball speed, and topspin.
A kick serve is hit much higher over the net, needs a toss farther back over your head, and needs an upward stroke of the racketface....something that is harder to learn and harder to replicate when you are stressed and tired.yes i have already developed the topspin serve as my 2nd serve and sometimes i have my good days with it(no dfs a match etc ect) but sometimes it can just be a bit off and it goes long quite a bit...any suggestions? btw i have an unbelievable desire to get better...and am doing so. i play usually around 2 hr every day and an example of how much better ive got....i was beaten 6 2 6 0 by this guy in the first round of a tournament around 3 months back and the most recent time i played him i beat him 9 5. i am getting ALOT better, hardly making ues anymore, just developing my strokes day by day :)

LeeD
02-12-2009, 04:30 PM
You have not developed the basic topspin second serve until it goes in 48 out of 50 tries. I'd not learn a new swing, toss location, and new placements until your topspin second serve is totally reliable.
The kick doesn't take long to learn. To replicate with placement, depth, and direction takes LONGER and more practice time than the basic topspin second serve.
Why you ask? It's easy to learn but hard to replicate?? YES, your swing is not in the direction of travel. Your toss becomes an abberation compared to your other serves. Your pace is often lessenned. Just how many different serves can you perfect when most pros have barely "perfected" their serves?
There's a theory around KISS. Like SIMPLE. Less stuff to learn and practice. Take the practice time and work on a real first serve:):)

naza2
02-12-2009, 05:43 PM
for a simpler kick second serve, these are my rule:
1.look at target on the court before tossing.
2.toss the ball higher. if i didn't hit the ball, it should land about a foot in front of me on the left side (i'm a righty).
3. wait for the ball to come down. don't hit it at its peak or when it's going up.
4. bend your legs. you may want to exaggerate it a bit more to get extra power.
5. move up and swing.

works for me. as for first serve, i hit it at the peak of the toss. before you toss, look at a few inches above the net of where the ball flight will go (don't target the court but the position above the net).

tennisdad65
02-12-2009, 06:14 PM
yes i have already developed the topspin serve as my 2nd serve and sometimes i have my good days with it(no dfs a match etc ect) but sometimes it can just be a bit off and it goes long quite a bit...any suggestions?

For the topspin, you already have your body momentum and swing in the forward direction, and the serve tends to go long if you do not get a good brush on it. i.e. getting a good brush is the key to the topspin 2nd serve. I try to maintain a real loose wrist, butt cap facing skyward in the trophy position, and throw my racquet at the ball real fast.

I agree with LeeD that the forward and out topspin serve should be developed in preference or along with the up and out twist kick. You get more pace on it compared to the twist. Good tall 2 handed backhand players can crush twist serves, but will have a much harder time crushing your topspin 2nd serve.

Okazaki Fragment
02-12-2009, 06:37 PM
yes i have already developed the topspin serve as my 2nd serve and sometimes i have my good days with it(no dfs a match etc ect) but sometimes it can just be a bit off and it goes long quite a bit...any suggestions? btw i have an unbelievable desire to get better...and am doing so. i play usually around 2 hr every day and an example of how much better ive got....i was beaten 6 2 6 0 by this guy in the first round of a tournament around 3 months back and the most recent time i played him i beat him 9 5. i am getting ALOT better, hardly making ues anymore, just developing my strokes day by day :)

Get a bucket of balls and play against yourself. Serve all second serves and see if you can beat your phantom opponent. Keep score by saying you lose the point if you fault and win the point if you get it in.

You should have a stable second serve once you can give a love-40 lead each game and still win the set.

mikeler
02-13-2009, 05:15 AM
On my best serving days, I'm usually still good for 1 or 2 double faults. I don't think 4 or 5 per match is all that bad. So my suggestion would be to do some minor tweaking versus a major overhaul to your 2nd serve. Almost every one of my double faults I can contribute to the following two problems:

1) Not watching the ball long enough.
2) Going for a 2nd serve ace or service winner

larry10s
02-13-2009, 06:04 AM
do a search. this starting to be a boring thread

late start!
02-15-2009, 10:04 AM
can anyone please clarify for me, on the kick serve do you toss the ball directly over your head, or to the left (into the court) or right?

strahan918
02-15-2009, 10:42 AM
I go to my left into the court. Over my head, I don't make good contact with the ball.

SmAsH999
02-15-2009, 01:14 PM
For my kick, i toss low behind my head, and i brush up as much as possible. I've found that if you toss too high, even behind your head, brushing up is very difficult. I can only serve a kicker about 45-50 mph, but it's still a solid serve. Good luck on yours!