PDA

View Full Version : using my legs in the forehand

randomname
02-12-2009, 06:21 PM
ok, I play mostly 4.0/4.5, and I'd say I have great technique on my forehand from the waist up, but I dont really know how to get my legs into the shot. Whenever I conciously think about pushing off my feet, it just screws up everything else in my shot, so how exactly am I supposed to get my legs into the shot?

unprotennis
02-12-2009, 08:43 PM
hmmmm,

hip rotation = more power?

knee bend allows you to rotate your hips. so knee bend to rotate your hips to get more power. sticking your left arm out (if you're right handed helps with the knee bending i think)

a bit of food for thought :)

Rickson
02-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Use your toes to grip the handle and try a soccer kick.

jasoncho92
02-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Just try to emulate the pros and use a video camera to see for yourself. Just make sure you come up when striking the ball so the kinetic chain can be hitch-less

LeeD
02-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Obviously more practice time...
But I notice something about some really good players..... they only use their upper body and arms when rallying, then seem to employ the legs, thighs, hips, ONLY when they need to hit deep and hard. Now these are NOT pros I"m watching, rather good 5.5-6.0 players, usually older than PRO ages.
Maybe somethink akin to.... basic groundie rally, the ball comes deep and fast, and less movement replicates more exactly for more consistency.
When you need to ADD to the shot, add the lower body and legs, keep the upper body and arms almost the same...for less chance of flailing and bad form.....
Just a thought. I'm lefty, so I think counter to you.:)

wihamilton
02-13-2009, 11:10 AM
ok, I play mostly 4.0/4.5, and I'd say I have great technique on my forehand from the waist up, but I dont really know how to get my legs into the shot. Whenever I conciously think about pushing off my feet, it just screws up everything else in my shot, so how exactly am I supposed to get my legs into the shot?

How's your movement? If you keep a low center of gravity and stay balanced, you'll give yourself a good foundation to hit off of. You want to be ~1 foot below your normal height when you move around. This will improve your forehand immediately (assuming you're not already doing it) and you won't really have to worry about pushing off, etc. too much.