PDA

View Full Version : How long do Polys last?

408tennisguy
02-13-2009, 02:46 AM
I'm about to buy a reel of SPPP and I'm not sure about the shelf life of polys.... I've had experience with syn gut getting old and brittle after it has been exposed to air after just sitting around for a month or two. Does this ever happen with polys? I break my strings (syn gut and polys) about every week and a half or two weeks and I play 5 days out of the week. TIA!

lawlitssoo1n
02-13-2009, 06:02 AM
what is ur current tension?

Kevo
02-13-2009, 11:37 AM
I've never seen that happen with syn gut. I would wonder what kind of environment your strings are in, and if there isn't some light exposure that is involved. I would imagine poly life would be shortened as well if the conditions are that harsh.

408tennisguy
02-14-2009, 03:49 AM
56lbs all around on SPPP, I keep my strings in room temperature to a cooled environment, but I think because the string is exposed to air for a long period of time, it loses it's durability. I might be wrong and I'm gonna buy the reel anyway, but maybe vacuum seal and double bagging it would help

408tennisguy
02-14-2009, 03:50 AM
oh and 2 ncode 6.1 95

mawashi
02-14-2009, 03:55 AM
had experience with syn gut getting old and brittle after it has been exposed to air after just sitting around for a month or two. Does this ever happen with polys? I break my strings (syn gut and polys) about every week and a half or two weeks and I play 5 days out of the week. TIA!

That's a first, even stringers will keep strings just lying about for at least a month. Unlike natural gut, which will be affected by humidity, most strings should not be affected in the way you described. Air ok, direct sunlight no no.

mawashi