PDA

View Full Version : Oh The Memories

jorel
02-13-2009, 06:02 AM
Remember way back when (like 10 yrs ago) when Sports Authority and the like were still selling really good frames… like the RD-7, Prince Ti Response, Prince Equipe, Pro Tour 280, Pro Kennex 7g,

Now all they sell are Kmart type frames…

O the memories

thewheel82
02-13-2009, 06:53 AM
I still remember buying my Yonex SRD Tour at this little sports shop in the Galleria Shopping Mall. I was in 9th Grade.

thewheel82
02-13-2009, 06:55 AM
I still remember buying my Yonex SRD Tour at this little sports shop in the Galleria Shopping Mall. I was in 9th Grade.

Also remember seeing PS 6.0 85's at Academy. Always wanted one but never got around to it.

dman72
02-13-2009, 06:56 AM
During the 90's, Sports Authority had a giant wall of racquets..I'd estimate at least 50 different frames. They've shrunk it down to about 1/4 that size, at least. Pathetic.

VGP
02-13-2009, 08:07 AM
I don't see it as pathetic....it's just a response to online retailers (i.e. TW). Also, not every community is into tennis.

There's no sense keeping a large inventory if relatively few people are gonna buy either by disinterest or by getting stuff online.

A medium-large store just can't compete with a large online retailer like TW with their even larger selection of frames, custom stringing, apparel, shoes, etc......all shipped to your front door. Heck they even get sales pulled away by club shops and word of mouth basement racket stringers.

It's just business.

(same thing has happened to music stores)