PDA

View Full Version : Where do I tie off?

rxblitzrx
02-13-2009, 06:49 AM
What's the best place to tie off when stringing?

1. The grommet right next door?
2. Two grommets away?
3. Three grommets away?

LttlElvis
02-13-2009, 07:04 AM
It's specific for each type of racquet. Usually if you look at the stringing instructions of a particular racquet, it will tell you which hole is recommended for tie offs and starting knots.

For example, here are instructions for some Prince racquets:

http://www.klipperusa.com/stringing/viewpattern.php?mfg=TPRI

rxblitzrx
02-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Anybody got an instruction sheet for Babolat racquets? nm, I found one on the klippersite but it doesn't include the Pure Storm LTD.

rxblitzrx
02-13-2009, 08:48 AM
If I tied off in the wrong holes, will I hurt the frame in any way?

hellojeffo
02-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Nah.. it wouldn't hurt the frame, but the grommets might get a little squashed up and makes it harder for the strings to go through the next time you string. Reason being that it's not the recommended grommet.

The recommended tie-off grommets usually are a tad bit larger. If it was previously strung, it would be very obvious where to tie-off... coz the grommets would be deformed by the bulk of the knot. That is if it was previously strung correctly...

zapvor
02-13-2009, 09:03 AM
did you try the babolat website?

Bubba
02-13-2009, 09:11 AM
If I tied off in the wrong holes, will I hurt the frame in any way?

It shouldn't have any effect on the frame.

Typically, you'll want to tie mains off on mains and crosses off on crosses.
On both, you should tie off on the 2nd main or cross back from last main/cross. If the pattern is 18x20 then you will probable tie the mains off on the 3rd &/or 16th main (1 piece job or 2?)
The crosses would tie off: top cross on a 2 piece job will tie to the closest main. Bottom cross should tie off on 18th. (assuming you start the corsses at the top of the frame.

The tie off holes are slightly larger. Babolat does a pretty good job with this.

ALL FRAMES ARE SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT. Get the pattern.