PDA

View Full Version : What to do if opponent is intentionally distracting you?

Craig8592505
02-13-2009, 08:43 AM
In my last league doubles match, before play started, one of the opponents jokingly (at least I thought at the time) said to us "I'm going to get in your head." I joked back "That's ok, I do a pretty good job of getting in my own head."

But then he spent the rest of the match tapping his feet, thumping his chest, waving his racquet, smelling the ball before he served (yes, you read that right), grunting at odd times, and eventually calling out right before my serve "hit it hard!" or "bring the heat!" He did most of this when we were about to serve or about to return (when he was at net).

Although I was extremely annoyed by the end of the match (and they won), the only time I indicated my frustration was one time when he kept saying "hit it hard" before my serve, I stopped and gave him a hard look for a few seconds. But I never actually said anything to him.

I play tennis for fun and exercise. And he managed to suck all the enjoyment out of that match.

And now the kicker - we play them again this week in the playoffs. :cry:

How would you handle this? I've thought about forfeiting this week's match, getting a sub, asking him nicely before the match to refrain from all the nonsense, or waiting until he starts doing it again and then asking him.

The problem is, he clearly enjoys this type of "gamesmanship" as part of tennis and probably doesn't see anything wrong with it. And technically, the only thing that I can see being against the rules is calling out "hit it hard" right before I serve.

Thoughts?

Topaz
02-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Well, the biggest thing that jumped out at me here was his distracting comments right before you serve. You have EVERY right to say something to him...but don't give him the satisfaction of getting upset. Maybe something like 'Could you please not distract me before my serve.' That is hindrance...he has control over it. If he doesn't comply, catch the toss. He'll get the message.

Since the next time you are playing is in playoffs, there should be some sort of official there. If he still doesn't stop after you ask, stop, and get the official on your court. Calmy explain what is happening, that you've asked him to stop and he did not, and ask the official to stay on the your court. Again, you have every right to ask for this.

Don't give him anything to feed off of either...and since you know about him gong in, I think you will be more mentally prepared than last time.

Good luck!

woodrow1029
02-13-2009, 08:51 AM
In my last league doubles match, before play started, one of the opponents jokingly (at least I thought at the time) said to us "I'm going to get in your head." I joked back "That's ok, I do a pretty good job of getting in my own head."

But then he spent the rest of the match tapping his feet, thumping his chest, waving his racquet, smelling the ball before he served (yes, you read that right), grunting at odd times, and eventually calling out right before my serve "hit it hard!" or "bring the heat!" He did most of this when we were about to serve or about to return (when he was at net).

Although I was extremely annoyed by the end of the match (and they won), the only time I indicated my frustration was one time when he kept saying "hit it hard" before my serve, I stopped and gave him a hard look for a few seconds. But I never actually said anything to him.

I play tennis for fun and exercise. And he managed to suck all the enjoyment out of that match.

And now the kicker - we play them again this week in the playoffs. :cry:

How would you handle this? I've thought about forfeiting this week's match, getting a sub, asking him nicely before the match to refrain from all the nonsense, or waiting until he starts doing it again and then asking him.

The problem is, he clearly enjoys this type of "gamesmanship" as part of tennis and probably doesn't see anything wrong with it. And technically, the only thing that I can see being against the rules is calling out "hit it hard" right before I serve.

Thoughts?
League playoffs should have officials. That could be good for you.

When was he tapping his feet and waving the racket? During the point?

Start the match off with a clean slate. I wouldn't say anything before the match because then he is going to know that it got to you and he will for sure either do it again, or try something else.

As soon as he does one thing, go get an official. If there are no officials, tell him to stop. As soon as he does something during a point such as wave the racket as you are hitting a shot, call a hindrance and claim the point.

The other option is just play your game and not let it get to you.

skiracer55
02-13-2009, 08:59 AM
...yes, you'll encounter this kind of nonsense elsewhere, but not like you will in NTRP leagues, which is a lot of the time...

Craig8592505
02-13-2009, 09:01 AM
This league doesn't have officials, so that isn't an option.

Everything he did was right before the point started, not during the point. When he was at net and I was about to return his teammate's serve, he would tap his feet, thump his chest, or wave his racquet out to the side. When I was serving, he would call out "hit it hard" or "bring the heat" right before I served (but I don't think it was ever during the service motion/toss). And then smelling the tennis ball before he served, or even weirder, before he would throw a ball back to us if it was our serve.

He is annoying guy in general, so him doing all that stuff really brought me to a boil.

Craig8592505
02-13-2009, 09:05 AM
...yes, you'll encounter this kind of nonsense elsewhere, but not like you will in NTRP leagues, which is a lot of the time...

Yeah, this is a 4.0 doubles league. What type of leagues are "non-NTRP" leagues?

I love tennis, but sometimes I wonder if tennis doesn't attract some of the more quirky, socially inept types from our society.

Topaz
02-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Your rating is your NTRP (national tennis rating program). If this is a 4.0 league, it sounds like it is indeed an NTRP league.

http://www.usta.com/USTA/Global/Active/Custom%20Pages/Leagues/1237_NTRP.aspx

Did you have to be a USTA member to sign up? Are results reported in Tennislink?

skiracer55
02-13-2009, 09:18 AM
Yeah, this is a 4.0 doubles league. What type of leagues are "non-NTRP" leagues?

I love tennis, but sometimes I wonder if tennis doesn't attract some of the more quirky, socially inept types from our society.

...that is, win at all costs even though the prize is an $8 trophy. I don't think there are any non-NTRP leagues. I don't play NTRP, I play age group and Open tournaments. I also don't play doubles, I just play singles. Everyone I've encountered in my matches is a tough tennis player, a fierce competitor...but a fair and gracious opponent. Many of them have gone on to become my friends and hitting partners...

rasajadad
02-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Print out a copy of The Code and the rules with his violations highlighted. Hand it to him before the warmup and say consider yourself warned. Then tell him you will be taking point penalties with the next infractions. See how they like you being in their head.

woodrow1029
02-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Print out a copy of The Code and the rules with his violations highlighted. Hand it to him before the warmup and say consider yourself warned. Then tell him you will be taking point penalties with the next infractions. See how they like you being in their head.
Not a bad idea.

spot
02-13-2009, 09:26 AM
I mean if he is saying "bring the heat" before your service motion starts- just wait a while before you start your service motion. I really don't think thats illegal to say something like that to your opponent as long as its not during their service motion at all. Of course if he does start talking during your service motion then call hindrance and take the point.

saram
02-13-2009, 09:33 AM

Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mikeler
02-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Talk to your partner before the match about this but the first time he says something obnoxious right before the serve, ask him kindly not to do that again and say next time you will claim the point based on a hindrance. If he does it again, walk over to the other side of the service line, have your partner switch positions and call out the new score. This should cause a nice argument to which you can decide whether you really want to claim the point or not but it should get the point across to this idiot.

JRstriker12
02-13-2009, 10:13 AM
This league doesn't have officials, so that isn't an option.

Everything he did was right before the point started, not during the point. When he was at net and I was about to return his teammate's serve, he would tap his feet, thump his chest, or wave his racquet out to the side. When I was serving, he would call out "hit it hard" or "bring the heat" right before I served (but I don't think it was ever during the service motion/toss). And then smelling the tennis ball before he served, or even weirder, before he would throw a ball back to us if it was our serve.

He is annoying guy in general, so him doing all that stuff really brought me to a boil.

Just wondering - when you are about to return his teammate's serve and he's acting silly, was that while the ball is in play? If it was while the ball was in play, or during the server's wind-up, you could probably call a hinderance. Other than that - while it is stupid and silly behavior - it shouldn't distract you if it's not during the point.

IMHO - while calling out "Bring the heat" or "hit it hard" just before you served, isn't great sportsmanship, it isn't something that you should let throw you off, especially in a competative situation.

You may want to think about why that threw you off, instead of just playing your normal game. Most people won't say that every point, but I can see a instance or two where it may be said in a match.

PushyPushster
02-13-2009, 10:15 AM
I don't think anything he's doing, with the possible exception of talking before your serve, is a rule violation. I'm not sure how you resisted the temptation of screwing with them in regards to smelling the tennis balls, though. That's just utterly bizarre.

I would recommend stuffing two of them down the front of your shorts before tossing them back over the net and, with a completely straight face say, "You let me know if those smell a little off, okay?"

saram
02-13-2009, 10:29 AM
If he is smelling the balls prior to serving, I'd ensure he saw me rubbing them in my groin region and offer something like "enjoy that the next time you take a sniff..."

Or maybe pull a 'Rafa' as well with the balls--ensuring he sees that, of course.

PushyPushster
02-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Juvenile minds truly do think alike. Beat you to it, though, Saram!

saram
02-13-2009, 10:36 AM
Juvenile minds truly do think alike. Beat you to it, though, Saram!

SNAP! Didn't see your post! Yes, I am a kid at heart...I have a little girl that keeps me grounded and childish....:twisted:

PushyPushster
02-13-2009, 10:42 AM
.I have a little girl that keeps me grounded and childish....

Same here! Let's blame it on the daughters.

I wouldn't have been able to resist doing something, though. At the very least you have to say, "Dude ... why are you smelling the tennis balls?" The inherent potential for comedy in that situation demands further investigation.

NetMaster70
02-13-2009, 10:43 AM
When you switch sides be sure that your elbow accidently catches him in the nose.

JavierLW
02-13-2009, 10:45 AM
I don't think anything he's doing, with the possible exception of talking before your serve, is a rule violation. I'm not sure how you resisted the temptation of screwing with them in regards to smelling the tennis balls, though. That's just utterly bizarre.

I would recommend stuffing two of them down the front of your shorts before tossing them back over the net and, with a completely straight face say, "You let me know if those smell a little off, okay?"

Im not sure that waving your arms or racquet around in front of the returner even before the serve is hit is necessarily legal. Do you know Woodrow??

It's definately against the spirit of the game, it's not supposed to be "trick tennis".

If he's talking during your serve you could try something to make it less desirable to say stuff.

Like this:

MR.ANNOYINGGUY: "HIT IT HARD!!!!"

YOU: {stops whole service motion starts walking toward him} "What? Did you say something?"

If he continues to talk just continue to act dumb until he is done and then give yourself enough time to take a breather before going back into your serve.

Do this every single time he says something, but continue to pretend you didnt hear him but you are interested in what he said as if he had something important to say. (in a nice even keel manner, not a annoyed one) And pretend you had not just done the same exact thing minutes before.

If he has to go thru this whole ordeal everytime he opens his big mouth he may stop.

You could something similar whenever he trys to distract you while you are trying to return as well. (call let, tie your shoe, whatever, just drag it out, or interact with him if you find a funny way to do it)

You could do the same thing when he acts weird on his serve as well.

It's sort of a variation of Brad Gilbert's idea of how you combat stalling with more stalling.

But instead you are combating annoying distracting behavior with your own even more annoying behavior. It may sound childish but the point is it's a way of taking control of the situation on your own, rather than being at the mercy of just sucking it up and dealing with this idiot.

(but that is of course only if you know that this is getting to you, if you are good enough that you can ignore him and just beat him anyway, then it's not worth making a big deal about it, but sometimes these matches can be pretty close and this stuff matters)

cak
02-13-2009, 10:59 AM
As for the sniffing thing, have you ever watched women play tennis? They store the extra ball in their undershorts. Really. So just do the ball tuck a few times. If he sees you rummaging around up your shorts he might decide sniffing the balls is not a good idea. Though if he's makes a show of sniffing anyway, be ready to blow him a kiss. :-)

boilerfan
02-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Do you think you would win without him being in your head? It seems it would take a lot of effort for him to act like an idiot and maybe keeps himself from concentrating as much as he should. If you think you are a better team, just laugh at him and concentrate on your own game. It will get in his head more that you are laughing with him and that you are not distracted.

Like everybody else says though, it is really an infraction if he does it during a toss or during the point and can't be allowed to do that. If it is after the point though or before the point, just point at him and his partner and laugh at/with him. You could also get back at him by getting into his partners head, not his. Make up a few of your own jokes for changeovers and see if you can get his partner to turn on him.

Maybe:
1. Nicely ask his partner if he thinks the antics are annoying. Just to see if you can spit them up
2. Ask the partner if he thinks it is odd that his partner smells the balls that have been in his pocket.
3. Ask him if the guy smells the balls in every match, or just when they are partners..maybe his pockets smell better than the rest of the team.
4. Ask him if he prefers you bring it hard or hot.

mikeler
02-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Hold two balls underneath your arm pits on changeovers. :twisted:

jefferson
02-13-2009, 11:06 AM
I believe that the idiot can tap his feet or move his racket IF it is getting himself ready to play the point. NOT just to distract his opponent. That is impossible to prove, but I believe that is the ruling. Woodrow will know more on that. Kinda like when Invanivic shuffles her feet prior to her opponents serve. I THINK she does it to distract her opponent. She CLAIMS she is getting herself ready to return the serve.
My suggestion is to turn this frustration into focus and kick his butt on the court. He is trying to get into your head and... he obviously has done that. Proof is that you are still thinking about it.
My other idea is to have your partner address the shouting prior to serving issue. That way he can say it annoys him, letting you off the hook.

You dont necessarily need to be in the actual service motion to be in the act of serving. I believe that your pre serve routine counts as part of your motion also.

I hope you beat this guy and his bush league antics. Oh your idea of getting a sub is not an option. You will encounter other idiots out there on the tennis courts of the world and you need to have the experience of dealing with them! Let us know what happens!

mikeler
02-13-2009, 11:17 AM

Tennis does tend to attract some strange people unfortunately. I played a consolation match as a junior against this guy who seemed very nice and normal before the match. Then we start playing and every single point he wins, he does this big "Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss". It annoyed the heck out of me.

I played another guy in a league match who asked if he could take a smoke break after the first set. I asked him how long he'd been smoking and he said 3 years. He was 38 years old!

Craig8592505
02-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. I think I'll go for the "laugh it off and kick his butt" approach. We've split matches with those guys, so it is clear we can beat them again. I think knowing ahead of time that he may do that stuff, I'll be in a better frame of mind to ignore it.

burosky
02-13-2009, 02:57 PM
One other option that might help is to call for a lines person before the match. In a match with no roving umpires or referees that would be whoever the team elects. One for each team. Then it will be almost like an officiated match because you have 2 "witnesses" if there are disputes. Of course the possibility of disagreement is always there. In such a case, if need be, the grievance process kicks in.

How is this relevant to the post? With lines persons present you can "officially" call out the other person for hindrance if you feel that is what's happening. If you don't feel it is hindrance you shouldn't do anything. Being simply annoyed by your opponents antics is not a basis for you to say your opponent is doing something against the rules.

I am amused by the comments generated by your opponent's act of sniffing the ball. Yes, it is weird but it shouldn't have the effect it did. If that was my opponent, I could care less what he does as long as it isn't a deliberate hindrance. What's wrong with sniffing the ball anyway? There's no rule that says you can't do that. It is certainly odd but that should be the end of it.

TourTenor
02-13-2009, 03:27 PM
If he yells "bring the heat" use your "heater serve" to make him dance! If he is playing net near the T on his partner's service return, you could make it look like an errant serve. A few of those mixed in might shut him up. If you happen to catch him with one you can claim the point as well.

Fay
02-13-2009, 08:25 PM
When you switch sides be sure that your elbow accidently catches him in the nose.

OMGosh, once again spit coffee at the computer I laughed so hard.

Good one !

Everyone this week at doubles was very well behaved !

Fay
02-13-2009, 08:34 PM
.... The problem is, he clearly enjoys this type of "gamesmanship" as part of tennis and probably doesn't see anything wrong with it. And technically, the only thing that I can see being against the rules is calling out "hit it hard" right before I serve.
Thoughts?

When I first started playing tennis this sort of thing used to bother me ... for two reasons. One, I thought people would try to win with skill and not be so desperate they'd stoop to trying to shark someone's game just to win. Wow, I sure got a dose of reality in a hurry. Second, I didn't concentrate very well. When I would play mixed doubles my partners would often coach me as I was hitting, etc., and get me messed up.

After I made it a point to develop rituals (looking at my strings, go thru my list of things to think about before serving as I bounced the ball, etc.) I began to notice my concentration improved and I could block stuff out better. But players who aren't secure enough to rely upon their game skills aren't fun to play with, that is for darned sure.

I like the one about the elbow in the nose on the changeover. ;-)

amarone
02-14-2009, 09:02 AM
It sounds like you have a clear case for calling a hindrance. From the hindrance section of The Code: 34. Body movement. A player may feint with the body while the ball is in
play. A player may change position at any time, including while the server is
tossing the ball. Any other movement or any sound that is made solely to distract
an opponent, including, but not limited to, waving the arms or racket or
stamping the feet, is not allowed.

jwr1972
02-14-2009, 10:55 AM
I guarantee that if you bring some stinky smell(the kind you set off in a public place)and rub on the balls he might think twice. :)

beernutz
02-14-2009, 05:10 PM
If it really bothers you then try some psychological warfare of your own. For example, between points, every time you toss or hit a ball back to their side of the court for them to serve, hit or throw it so they have to run after it. Also every time you do this say 'oops, my bad'. After the first 20 times or so, maybe they'll get the message and just play. If that doesn't do it I bet I can think up 50 other things to try.

I can handle people being unintentionally annoying but morons like the one you describe deserve zero consideration and should expect to get back everything they give out times two.

I played a guy a couple of years ago who when we introduced ourselves, said his name was Jonathon Allen xxx (xxx is last name). When my partner said nice to meet you Jonathon, he very dickishly said, "NO, my name is Jonathon Allen!" Uh oh, we thought then this was going to be a long night and we turned out to be right. The guy was very into gamesmanship so we starting calling him Johnny to get HIS blood boiling. And it worked--he ended up tossing his racquet over the fence into some unlit woods behind the courts and then couldn't find it right away. I think we lost the match as they were actually better than us and didn't need all the mind games but it was worth it to see Johnny's head nearly asplode.

Court Valkyrie
02-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Hit him in the nuts with an overhead and tell him "Bring the Ice".

JRstriker12
02-15-2009, 08:43 AM
If it really bothers you then try some psychological warfare of your own. For example, between points, every time you toss or hit a ball back to their side of the court for them to serve, hit or throw it so they have to run after it. Also every time you do this say 'oops, my bad'. After the first 20 times or so, maybe they'll get the message and just play. If that doesn't do it I bet I can think up 50 other things to try.

I can handle people being unintentionally annoying but morons like the one you describe deserve zero consideration and should expect to get back everything they give out times two.

I played a guy a couple of years ago who when we introduced ourselves, said his name was Jonathon Allen xxx (xxx is last name). When my partner said nice to meet you Jonathon, he very dickishly said, "NO, my name is Jonathon Allen!" Uh oh, we thought then this was going to be a long night and we turned out to be right. The guy was very into gamesmanship so we starting calling him Johnny to get HIS blood boiling. And it worked--he ended up tossing his racquet over the fence into some unlit woods behind the courts and then couldn't find it right away. I think we lost the match as they were actually better than us and didn't need all the mind games but it was worth it to see Johnny's head nearly asplode.

The ole - "Fetch It" move.

Got to keep that in the bag-o-tricks for really annoying players.

tennismike33
02-15-2009, 09:02 AM
I think I would approach it a little differently than most. BEFORE the match, probably during warm ups I would mention to the guy that I really had a tough week at work and I sure hope that he intends on providing me with a good show and comedy routine becasue I really need a good laugh. I would also mention to him that it has been proven that sniffing tennis balls may cause brain damage and it appears to you that he might be reaching the saturation point. Another thing you could mention is that there is a doctor present to do a blood test for tennis ball steroids and you have requested that he submit to the test in case smelling the balls is actually a PED.

obnoxious2
02-15-2009, 09:31 AM
When you are serving to hit partner, aim it at him. Hit him if you can. thatll shut him up and you get da point

JavierLW
02-15-2009, 09:52 AM
When you are serving to hit partner, aim it at him. Hit him if you can. thatll shut him up and you get da point

And if you miss him, you'll never hear the end of it.

hotseat
02-15-2009, 03:05 PM
rivaling the feeling of winning the lottery, say nothing at all and let your racquet and game do the talking. sure, it will be tough to tune him out, but you can do it. nothing will feel better than beating a jerk/cheater without having to use cheap, immature tactics. this guy probably does all this stuff for a reason. he's not confident enough in his skills, so he's got to add a little something to level the playing field. keep that in mind next time something this dude does starts to irk you. you're the better player, you just need to calm the nerves, relax, and get er' done!!!

obnoxious2
02-15-2009, 07:02 PM
And if you miss him, you'll never hear the end of it.

Not really. Just smile back, reload, aim, and fire away.

Fay
02-15-2009, 07:04 PM
:twisted:ha ha
lock and load came to mind:twisted:

Craig8592505
02-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Well, not much of a finish to this story. We were supposed to play tonight, and Mr. Gamesmanship showed up but his partner didn't, so we won by forfeit. I guess what comes around goes around. Although I was a little disappointed I didn't get to work on my mental game playing against the idiot again. Although I'm not THAT disappointed. :-)

JavierLW
02-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Not really. Just smile back, reload, aim, and fire away.

Yes really.

Unless he's not looking at you or you have some sort of amazing hooking spin serve it's actually not that easy to hit someone off the serve.

(or what happens sometimes is they dont understand the rules so they arent as eager to get out of the way)

I dont think you have an understanding of people.

Hitting someone with the ball and him being a jack@ss is completely unrelated, thus it wont change his habits one bit. (not to mention it's not necessarily justifyed)

The only thing that may get him to stop is to show him how moronic he looks and give him a taste of his own medicine.

Although there is a chance that he wont see it for how moronic it is and he will feel that it's normal behavior in which case dont bet on him ever stopping his shenigans.

In any event I think if it bothers someone or it does affect them. (and I dont care what anyone thinks, unless you know for sure you are the superior player it can affect you), the priority really is to take action that lets you take control of the situation. (by stalling or engaging him when he says something, or embarressing his partner and seeing if maybe they crack)

It's is NOT to "get even with him" in some silly attempt to make him stop his behavior. He's an adult, unless you know he has some sort of motivation for not looking like a complete moron, he's not going to change.

obnoxious2
02-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Yes really.

Unless he's not looking at you or you have some sort of amazing hooking spin serve it's actually not that easy to hit someone off the serve.

(or what happens sometimes is they dont understand the rules so they arent as eager to get out of the way)

I dont think you have an understanding of people.

Hitting someone with the ball and him being a jack@ss is completely unrelated, thus it wont change his habits one bit. (not to mention it's not necessarily justifyed)

The only thing that may get him to stop is to show him how moronic he looks and give him a taste of his own medicine.

Although there is a chance that he wont see it for how moronic it is and he will feel that it's normal behavior in which case dont bet on him ever stopping his shenigans.

In any event I think if it bothers someone or it does affect them. (and I dont care what anyone thinks, unless you know for sure you are the superior player it can affect you), the priority really is to take action that lets you take control of the situation. (by stalling or engaging him when he says something, or embarressing his partner and seeing if maybe they crack)

It's is NOT to "get even with him" in some silly attempt to make him stop his behavior. He's an adult, unless you know he has some sort of motivation for not looking like a complete moron, he's not going to change.

Are you a certified psychologist? How can you say that "I don't understand people". You must live in your own little bubble to think that just because he is an "adult" that only by treating him like an adult will he see "what an moron he is". There are millions of people given "time outs" (locked up) in this world because they can't act as reasonable "adults" even when given multiple chances.

blue12
02-16-2009, 06:18 PM
OMGosh, once again spit coffee at the computer I laughed so hard.

Good one !

Everyone this week at doubles was very well behaved !

Yeah that is hilarious! I'm more of the type that would look for a chance to beam him with an overhead, or serve a ball at him when he is at net!
He'll figure it out! If that doesn't work I'm sure the elbow on the changer would do the trick!:confused:

alexcaughman
02-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Hit him in the nuts with an overhead and tell him "Bring the Ice".

A pure stroke of genius! I lawled.:)

JavierLW
02-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Are you a certified psychologist? How can you say that "I don't understand people". You must live in your own little bubble to think that just because he is an "adult" that only by treating him like an adult will he see "what an moron he is". There are millions of people given "time outs" (locked up) in this world because they can't act as reasonable "adults" even when given multiple chances.

Yep they did get locked up and usually it's because they went WAY overboard and didnt something in retaliation for something stupid.

Hitting someone on purpose with the ball just because they are acting ******** is NOT justifyed. Why dont you just go over and slug him one why you are at it?

Are you his parents? Im sorry but he is an adult, and you are not acting like an adult by thinking you are justifyed in trying to hit him with the tennis ball anyway.

If you think it will make him change his behavior, then your the one who's fooling yourself. It's just a common reaction to lash out at someone as in "I'll show him!!!, Im going to hit him with a tennis ball!!!!", rather then to try to figure out his motivation and work from there. (or better yet, just ignore him if you can)

Ive played and seen these kinds of people all the time. Most of the time it's just in their nature. They love to run their mouth out there about anything and everything, and it's like they are running their own little comedy routine where they are only pretty much amusing themselves and they have little regard for how it affects you. Sometimes when you do things that are rash you just become yet another thing for them to go on and on about.

Or sometimes it's legitimately someone who knows they are trying to get to you, and thats when giving them a taste of their own medicine or finding a way to make them miserable can get them to stop. (or at least it can sometimes turn the tables on them where they are the ones out of their element)

Hitting them with the ball is pointless. It might make you feel good because you think you are punishing them somehow but besides being uncalled for, it might give them the wrong message that you are just getting more frustrated which will actually make them feel pretty good. I think that doing anything that shows frustration on your part in this situation is bad (even if you didnt mean it that way).

Instead just have no regard for them (they have no regard for you) and do whatever you want to do out there to either annoy them back, or at least play your game at your full advantage.

For me that method is stalling. I find that I play a lot better when I take as much time as humanly possible, but when I play most opponents I have a sort of clock in my head where I respect their time and I speed things along a bit just out of consideration for them.

But when I play one of these knuckleheads any consideration I might of had for them goes right out the window so I feel free to take as much time as I want.

moonbat
02-16-2009, 11:38 PM
Well, not much of a finish to this story. We were supposed to play tonight, and Mr. Gamesmanship showed up but his partner didn't, so we won by forfeit. I guess what comes around goes around. Although I was a little disappointed I didn't get to work on my mental game playing against the idiot again. Although I'm not THAT disappointed. :-)

Maybe his partner read this thread and got scared off. ;)

Nellie
02-17-2009, 06:51 AM
I had a similar experience several months ago. Everytime the player on the other team talked, stomped his feet, twirled (yes, he would twirl on one foot), spin is racquet, rub the ball on his back pocket, catch the ball in his hat for a bad toss, etc. I would call for a time out, turn around or I would reach down and tie my shoes, and wait a few seconds to clear my thoughts before playing. After about 5 games in 2 hours, the other guy stopped talking. Remember that you have some control in this situation and you do not need to play distracted.

GMN
02-18-2009, 08:26 AM
I would personally stop play and confront him. I would probably tell him to f himself and then walk over to his side of the court and take his racquet out of his hands. And if he didn't like that I would give him a time-out.

rallyjunkie
02-19-2009, 07:37 AM
Wow what a first class jerk. that is almost unbeievable someone could be so in need of a humbling. I'd let him do his thing for a few point sthen walk up to the net and spit in the general direction at his feet and just wait for him to make the next move. there is no use to waste any energy arguing or explaining rules codes etc., just see what he's got under all that BS.

cphstennis
02-19-2009, 10:52 AM
this sorta happened to me last year in a high school invitational last spring. either one or both players from the doubles team would bang their racquet in the box i was serving into (the one not returning did it). it didnt really annoy me that much. its just the principle of it. why cant some people just play the game