PDA

View Full Version : What muscles do you use to swing and get as much head speed as possible?

RoddickRulez
02-28-2005, 08:51 AM
What muscles do you use to swing and get as much head speed as possible?

Noelle
02-28-2005, 08:53 AM
Possibly this should have been posted in the Tennis Tips section.

William Bedford
02-28-2005, 09:36 AM
A big part of generating head speed is getting good torso rotation. Dont just get hung up on forearm and arm exercises, but try some medicine ball exercises that work on your obliques and abdominals. I spend about 15 minutes 4 times a week working on core exercises - it has helped all aspects of my tennis game.

prince
02-28-2005, 02:58 PM
combo of arm and torso....

West Coast Ace
02-28-2005, 03:23 PM
combo of arm and torso....That's right. It's called the 'kinetic chain'. Just like a golf swing. Megan Shaughnessy (sp?) is rail thin - but she can really crank a 1st serve when she wants/needs to.

Marius_Hancu
02-28-2005, 07:24 PM
A big part of generating head speed is getting good torso rotation. Dont just get hung up on forearm and arm exercises, but try some medicine ball exercises that work on your obliques and abdominals. I spend about 15 minutes 4 times a week working on core exercises - it has helped all aspects of my tennis game.

Right, work your obliques:-)
http://www.exrx.net/Plyometrics/MBStandingTwist.html

I am also doing the "discus thrower" with a pair of dumbells (3-12lbs), one in each hand. Simulate the motion. Make sure you don't glue your heels to the floor, stay more on toes. Keep your knees well flexed.

The OP might want to check my posting at:
Great fitness sites
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=33800

yvp
02-28-2005, 10:25 PM
Wrist,elbow,shoulder and torso.Wrist mostly to generate spin

predrag
03-01-2005, 06:33 AM
Wrist,elbow,shoulder and torso.Wrist mostly to generate spin
Wrist does not generate anything.
Wrist should not be conciously engaged unless at the highest level.

Regards, Predrag

NoBadMojo
03-01-2005, 02:17 PM
right..the wrist is the last thing to fire and that is most usually after the hit (with a few exceptions) ....the kinetic chain goes from largest muscles to the smallest...tennis used to be played from the feet up...obviously you still need the footwork, but with the open stance the power is generated mostly from shoulder turn rather than weight transfer these days, and that obviously stems from your core..i assume the question is about groundstrokes and not the serve or volleys.

Morpheus
03-01-2005, 03:17 PM
Interesting question. I have a buddy who is a robotics engineer. They built a robot that could throw a baseball (for a trade show). They could only get the robot to throw 80 mph. Their CEO, who was a minor league pitcher, told them that a large part of the speed comes from the wrist snap at the very end of the pitch. They subsequently adjusted that part of the robots motion and were able to get the ball up to 130 mph!

I would suggest, therefore, that at least when serving, the wrist snap plays a very large part of the final product, but it probably also applies to groundies.

Marius_Hancu
03-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Interesting question. I have a buddy who is a robotics engineer. They built a robot that could throw a baseball (for a trade show). They could only get the robot to throw 80 mph. Their CEO, who was a minor league pitcher, told them that a large part of the speed comes from the wrist snap at the very end of the pitch. They subsequently adjusted that part of the robots motion and were able to get the ball up to 130 mph!

I would suggest, therefore, that at least when serving, the wrist snap plays a very large part of the final product, but it probably also applies to groundies.

Check the discussion here:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=33747

NoBadMojo
03-01-2005, 03:42 PM
Morpheous the wrist snap (actually pronation) is only really applicable on the serve probably because the serve is done from an over the head motion. suggest the throwing of a baseball is more similar if done overhand to that of a serve than a forehand or backhand, and i bet the robot was designed to throw the ball from an overhand position. am i right? you can produce a bit more spin w. a wrist snap on specialty shots from the ground, but the power on 99% of the shots from the ground does not come from the wrist. and throwing a baseball, while similar, is not the same as hitting a ball with a racquet. my .o2

alan-n
03-01-2005, 10:27 PM
Muscles? You don't use muscles really... relax, turn your body, take your shoulder back, slightly bend your elbow. Whip your body and arm like your are taking a relaxed right-hook punch and grip the racket tightly upon impact to stabilize the racquet face and keep it going through the ball..... Just like boxing punches, or watch Bruce Lee, his body is relaxed untill the moment of impact and 6 inches or so after where he tightens his muscles to take his fist for feet straight through the opponent..... You do the same thing with a tennis ball.

Power and speed comes from relaxing your muscles.