PDA

View Full Version : racquet to ball contact point.

plumcrazy
02-13-2009, 10:58 AM
On a normal baseline forehand or backhand, where do you like to make contact. On the rise, at the peak or when the ball is coming down. On my forehand I use a semi-western to a western grip and I feel more comfortable hitting the ball on the way down. Is that wrong?

LeeD
02-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Hit your groundies out in front of you, where it's most consistent and you can direct the shot.
As to ball bounce, it's your preference. Agassi liked to hit on a shorthop. Some players like to move back and hit it low on the bounce. Others like the higher balls, and take it at the top of the bounce.
Your choice, there is no right or wrong.

oneguy21
02-13-2009, 11:47 AM
People with extreme grips tend to find it more comfortable to hit as the ball comes down. There's nothing wrong with that.

That's how Nadal executes his shots.

user92626
02-13-2009, 03:29 PM
There's no fast and hard rule. I would just hit the ball where it is in my ideal strike zone and requires me the least footwork. That means sometimes the ball cruises horizontally a bit and sometimes it just rises up. Basically things at that point happen so fast and you can't rely on conscious choice. Go with trained instinct.