PDA

View Full Version : Found My String Setup But...

Naz20xl
02-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Well like the title says I think I have found an almost perfect setup for myself. I'm using a nCode 6.1 95 (16x18) with Head FXP 16 in the mains, and Babolat VS Nat. Gut 16 in the crosses (both at 60lbs). This combo. gives me great touch, control, feel and moderate spin. Power can be a little random at times, but I think that's just my fault.

Before I settle on this setup I want to try a poly one more time. I've tried Cyberflash @ 56lbs on a K6.1 95 and it was really nice (although you really had to swing hard to get it going). My local stringer suggested I try Luxilon (it's the only poly he carries - cost would be $30 for a full job). Does anyone have suggestions on a model and tension to try to get similar or even better results than my setup above? Also is it true Luxilon dies quickly? My current setup has been running for about a month, so durability and tension maintenance is important.

vndesu
02-13-2009, 12:08 PM
i would highly recomending buying pro supex big aces.
for 8 bucks a set you cant go wrong.

compared to like red codes it isnt as stiff but it plays just as well.
if not give phts a try

PROTENNIS63
02-13-2009, 02:25 PM
^^^Like the above poster said, try Big Ace. It plays very good and is soft for a poly.

tennisfreak15347
02-13-2009, 03:28 PM
yes, Luxilon does die very quickly. If you want something similar but cheaper, then Topspin Cyberflash.

beckham
02-13-2009, 03:37 PM
I have a full job of Luxilon Big Banger Original, its a bit stiff compared to Sensation, which is what i used to use, but very nice. I might suggest that, or you may want to try Flouro, which is softer, thats also Luxilon.

ag200boy
02-14-2009, 06:03 AM
yes, Luxilon does die very quickly. If you want something similar but cheaper, then Topspin Cyberflash.

he said hes already tried CF...

saram
02-14-2009, 06:46 AM
SPPP may be a poly worthy of trying out. I used that with X-1 in the past and loved it.

hoodjem
02-14-2009, 07:00 AM
I don't think there is any poly hybrid that will play like Head FXP 16 in the mains and Babolat VS nat gut crosses. FXP is a soft multi and VS gut is one of the best guts with maximum feel.

The closest you could come would be a really soft poly (like Big Ace) and VS gut in the crosses. Maybe string a bit lower in tension to loosen up the string-bed.

Naz20xl
02-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I know it will be tough to get similar results to my current setup with a poly, but just wanted to see what else is out there (especially due to the cost of Babolat VS Nat. Gut). I'll definitely try out Pro Supex Big Ace since I've been hearing great things about it (just have to find someone that sells it). Maybe I'll give Cyberflash another try at a lower tension (around 50 maybe?) and Luxilon too.

Bottle Rocket
02-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Well like the title says I think I have found an almost perfect setup for myself. I'm using a nCode 6.1 95 (16x18) with Head FXP 16 in the mains, and Babolat VS Nat. Gut 16 in the crosses (both at 60lbs). This combo. gives me great touch, control, feel and moderate spin. Power can be a little random at times, but I think that's just my fault.

Before I settle on this setup I want to try a poly one more time. I've tried Cyberflash @ 56lbs on a K6.1 95 and it was really nice (although you really had to swing hard to get it going).

I don't get it.

You're trying strings in a different frame than the frame in your "almost perfect setup" to find the best string for your "almost perfect setup"?

The K95 is a stiffer frame than the N95 and strings are going to perform differently in each.

How about doing the string experimenting in your racket of choice, and not a different frame?

Anyway, you're not going to find equal power levels in a polyester in comparison to your hybrid with natural gut. It just isn't gonig to happen. You're also not going to find anything that feels as good as that setup you have with natural gut, and a full string job of polyester is about as far from that as you can get.

If you want something similar to the above, you might look into trying similar strings.

Naz20xl
02-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Actually I just mentioned the Cyberflash in the K6.1 just as extra information. It's actually a friend's stick that I played with for a few sets. I do plan on trying all these strings in my N6.1. Thanks for the advice though.