PDA

View Full Version : Backhand return

Lotto
02-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Apparently I go for too much on my returns and my coach wants me to look up videos of McEnroe hitting a block return of serve on the backhand side because he said he thinks McEnroe is the best he's ever seen doing this. Thoughts on that? I also have to try emulate it. lol.

crystal_clear
02-13-2009, 01:58 PM
Do you have the clip?

Lotto
02-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Yeah, there's two on tennis player I can look at. There's also a really good one of Federer.

LeeD
02-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Almost all good players use a really short backswing on the service returns.
Just percentage. The ball is incoming fast. You don't know it's direction, you have to react.
So in this case, if you've been missing return of serves, your coach is correct.
McEBoy also had the shortest backswing on regular groundies, of any of his contemporaries.

Lotto
02-13-2009, 02:20 PM
I wasn't missing by that much in all fairness, I was just going for two big of a shot off put wings and driving the ball with a full backswing and they were going maybe 2-3 cm's out or 2-3 cm's wide

Lotto
I wasn't missing by that much in all fairness, I was just going for two big of a shot off put wings and driving the ball with a full backswing and they were going maybe 2-3 cm's out or 2-3 cm's wide most

Lotto
I wasn't missing by that much in all fairness, I was just going for two big of a shot off put wings and driving the ball with a full backswing and they were going maybe 2-3 cm's out or 2-3 cm's wide most of

Lotto
I wasn't missing by that much in all fairness, I was just going for two big of a shot off put wings and driving the ball with a full backswing and they were going maybe 2-3 cm's out or 2-3 cm's wide most of the

Lotto
I wasn't missing by that much in all fairness, I was just going for two big of a shot off put wings and driving the ball with a full backswing and they were going maybe 2-3 cm's out or 2-3 cm's wide most of the time.

Lotto
Feckin double posts. lol.

Lotto
02-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Ok, that was like 6 posts in a row. What the hell?! Could someone delete them please? :oops::oops: Feckin computer.

LeeD
02-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Out is out, whether barely or over the fence.
Get it in, win the next match, and your coach gets off your case.
So shorten backswing.

fuzz nation
02-13-2009, 07:01 PM
A good way to work at a block return on the backhand is to go after the shot like you're hitting a penetrating volley. Move forward through the shot with a weight transfer and not much of a swing, just like a decisive volley up at net. Carry a little forward momentum into your split-step as the server hits the ball so that you can energize your return while keeping your arm relatively quiet.

Mansewerz
02-13-2009, 07:19 PM
One handed backhand return?

drake
02-13-2009, 08:01 PM
A good way to work at a block return on the backhand is to go after the shot like you're hitting a penetrating volley. Move forward through the shot with a weight transfer and not much of a swing, just like a decisive volley up at net. Carry a little forward momentum into your split-step as the server hits the ball so that you can energize your return while keeping your arm relatively quiet.

Well said, Fuzz.

Lotto
02-14-2009, 03:23 AM
One handed backhand return?

Yes one handed. I hate the two handed backhand. Tried it when I was like 8 but no it didn't work.

Thanks for the advice guys. So, is Johnny Mac a good one to emulate??

Djokovicfan4life
02-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Yes one handed. I hate the two handed backhand. Tried it when I was like 8 but no it didn't work.

Thanks for the advice guys. So, is Johnny Mac a good one to emulate??

JMac is as good as any at the block return. What you need to focus on is weight transfer into the ball. Don't move parallel to the baseline like most players. The power will come from clean contact, not a big swing that most likely will be mishit anyway.

Matt