PDA

View Full Version : 2H backhand grip?

nadal&roddickfan
02-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Which is the most popular? If I am right handed, is eastern grip R-hand/ semi-western grip Left-H(dominant in 2H backhand) a good choice? This poll is based on if you were right handed, so your left-hand would be dominant(on top) on the 2H backhand.

LeeD
02-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Can't tell you which is most pop, don't know.
But playing days, always conti normal hand and whatever flavors is current for off hand.
Conti dominant hand because you can always slice, lob, volley, and angle off the basic grip.

user92626
02-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Does it feel awkward anywhere in the swing path, especially when the racket is over the "FH" shoulder?

I'm basically focused on having the right swingpath that I can produce powerfully and comfortably. I use continental and eastern.

soyizgood
02-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Actually, there are three common 2HBH grip setups:

The beginner's grip seems to be the double eastern. I don't see instructors emphasizing grips in group sessions where I live.

The intermediate and above tend to use either of these:
Eastern (weak hand) - continental (dominant hand)
Semi-western (weak hand) - continental (dominant hand)

For return of serve, it wouldn't surprise me to see folks employ a double semi-western grip.

There are plenty of grip setups either I've seen or even experimented with. Even players like Borg, Agassi, Courier, Jankovic deviate(d) from the norm for their backhands.

rubberduckies
02-13-2009, 04:37 PM
I just voted what I do, semi-western left and continental right. Not really sure which is most popular. I would have to imagine that continental in the dominant hand would be the most popular. I agree with the other posters that I definitely vary the exact the grip of my left hand a lot than I would for my forehand.

Killer-Angle
03-24-2009, 11:34 AM
semi-western FH(L)/eastern FH(R)

Bud
03-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Semi-western (L) - Continental (R)

The right is between continental and eastern... so it could be either.

SFrazeur
03-24-2009, 12:02 PM
When I hit two handed it's continental bottom and eastern on top.

-SF

Jaewonnie
03-24-2009, 12:10 PM
My lefthand always stays in the same spot. I only move my right hand when I'm changing my spin, depth etc.

Mountain Ghost
03-24-2009, 12:20 PM
The first thing I do at the start of any new beginner group or private session is to thoroughly go over grips. The default grips for players learning a 2HBH are:

- At Backswing Position: SW/C
- At Ready Position: SW/E (“Hybrid” – BH/FH)

The only change required during the backswing to the BH side is the right hand goes up one bevel from eastern to continental.

MG

Killer-Angle
03-24-2009, 04:13 PM
semi-western FH(L)/eastern FH(R)

This solution is similar to forehand....swing,stance,follow through....IMHO

happyman91
03-24-2009, 04:21 PM
semi-western FH(L)/semi-western FH(R)

McNasty911
03-24-2009, 04:33 PM
im right handed. i hold conti with my right hand. then either eastern, semi-western, or western with ma left hand.

orangettecoleman
03-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Eastern BH on my right and SW FH on my left.

soyizgood
03-24-2009, 09:24 PM
The first thing I do at the start of any new beginner group or private session is to thoroughly go over grips. The default grips for players learning a 2HBH are:

- At Backswing Position: SW/C
- At Ready Position: SW/E (“Hybrid” – BH/FH)

The only change required during the backswing to the BH side is the right hand goes up one bevel from eastern to continental.

MG

I used semiwestern and extreme eastern for my top hand for almost 2 years. But then I injured my left wrist. I tried to play through the pain but that required me to buy bandage wraps and to shake off the pain after about 10 practice hits. My left hand then started grabbing the racquet in eastern grip. I tried fighting it, but in the end I listened to my instincts and went to eastern. Since then, the wrist pain is much less and after about 6 weeks of practice I think my backhand is almost as good as it was with the semiwestern.

Grizvok
03-24-2009, 09:32 PM
I use the continental right hand and semi-western left hand and really love it.

jb193
03-25-2009, 05:40 AM
I do a mild continental for my dominant hand (halfway eastern & continental)

I do a eastern grip for my non-dominant hand (It does lean towards semi-western a just a tad but I keep the hill of my palm from being on top of the racquet or under it. I like my palm to be smack dab behind the racquet handle for maximum leverage. I like to hit somewhat flat and deep with moderate topspin)