PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal to not have a lot of racquets to string at this time of year?

Mansewerz
02-13-2009, 05:50 PM
I string for a club, and I don't really have a lot of racquets to string. Granted, I go in typically on weekends, i'm just wondering if this is normal or if some places just don't get as many racquets.

jefferson
02-13-2009, 06:25 PM
I definitely slow down during the winter. I live in NY so many people take the winter off. So as a result I get less rackets. I dont think that a place with mild winters would slow down as much.

lawlitssoo1n
02-13-2009, 06:28 PM
cuz of the socal weather, there are always stringing demand especially in the spring with tennis season starting

Mansewerz
02-13-2009, 06:39 PM
The weird thing is my boss said that we get about the same amount in summer. Well, I am going to be upgrading my own machine so I'll string for my local area come this spring/summer. LF quantum should do the trick.

zidane339
02-13-2009, 08:25 PM
You may get more racquetball/squash then tennis

larry10s
02-14-2009, 03:45 AM
the economy mat have people pre stretching their frequency of stringing.

Mansewerz
02-14-2009, 11:05 AM
You may get more racquetball/squash then tennis

Those things are difficult to string though. Some strange channels and can be a real pain to figure out. I've got to get better with them.

jim e
02-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Those things are difficult to string though. Some strange channels and can be a real pain to figure out. I've got to get better with them.

Thats not for me. Racquetball frames are just not worth the time it takes, no matter what fee is charged.

LeeD
02-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Yeah winter....
But you can go to un iced courts and generate your own business. Just be nice, helpful, bring some demos, know which you speakest, and don't pressure the potential customers.
I did dat and double or tripled our business, so we soon had a stand at the local pro tennis tournament, which generated it's own momentum when the pros start us stringing some of their rackets.

Mansewerz
02-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Yeah winter....
But you can go to un iced courts and generate your own business. Just be nice, helpful, bring some demos, know which you speakest, and don't pressure the potential customers.
I did dat and double or tripled our business, so we soon had a stand at the local pro tennis tournament, which generated it's own momentum when the pros start us stringing some of their rackets.

Do you think local courts would be mad if I put up flyers?

Thats not for me. Racquetball frames are just not worth the time it takes, no matter what fee is charged.

Yes, it takes longer too.

bluescreen
02-14-2009, 12:31 PM
at the shop near me, i could drop off a frame and pick it up 40 minutes later during the winter and even the summer. its during the spring (high school season) that they get really backlogged.

Steve Huff
02-14-2009, 10:06 PM
The Mixed Leagues are starting up now, so it shouldn't be completely slow. Women don't usually break a lot of strings, so you have to get the info out that strings don't have to break to get a restring. I have 5 to do tomorrow.

Mansewerz
02-15-2009, 07:38 AM
I've got a couple to do today. It seems every friday or so there's a tournament, but they don't break strings that often.

I was thinking of mentioning that to people I play or if they talk to me while stringing.

aussie
02-15-2009, 06:24 PM
No difference in Australia because we play all year round.

pro_staff
02-15-2009, 06:30 PM
I get more rackets to string these days. High school and college season starts and some kids practice in the rain and snap their strings like crazy. This is norcal, by the way.

Mansewerz
02-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Luckily I had 4 to do today. Is ALU power stiff?

zidane339
02-16-2009, 05:46 AM
Luckily I had 4 to do today. Is ALU power stiff?

Yes it is, IMO. A bit of a pain to work with, esp the rough variety.

mikeler
02-16-2009, 06:54 AM
Put 18 gauge synthetic gut in for those tournament strings. The players will be back soon for a restringing... :)

Mansewerz
02-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Yes it is, IMO. A bit of a pain to work with, esp the rough variety.

Hmm, it didn't feel to bad. (And these were in FXP prestige mps with caps!)

And the thinnest synthetic we have is 17g

TennezSport
02-16-2009, 09:51 AM
In the north eastern areas we are feeling the same thing here, and do most years when the winter season is at hand. We usually slow down to about half of our Spring/Summer/Fall business but this year we are doing about a third of normal. This is probably due to the economic concerns in addition to the winter season.

We just met with several of our vendors at a Summer/Fall apparel review and eveyone stated that they are feeling the same thing; especially with apparel. Even the indoor facilities here are feeling it. Hopefully, things will come around when spring rolls around and the weather gets better.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool: