PDA

View Full Version : Match Point in Phoenix, AZ

Fay
02-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Hi

Does anyone on this forum play with this group? ... if so I'll see you tomorrow.

:-D

hotseat
02-14-2009, 10:44 PM
never played in one, but pretty much all of my tennis friends do. seems like a great group. i'd play in them if i didn't have to work every weekend.

Fay
02-15-2009, 09:04 AM
I met the nicest man who is coming back after a few year off ... we lost both of our matches, so I drove home last night ... but it was great fun and I have a new hitting partner when I go to Phoenix.

We were playing mixed doubles, and the woman opponent showed up about 20 minutes late and whined and whined for a long warmup .... talk about rude. Then the two of them continued to warm up and left us standing in the wind getting cold, so I finally had to say something.

There is a 15 minutes default rule but my partner said he would rather play and lose than win with a default so I went along with it. But come to find out many other players complained about here ... which reminds me to send an email, LOL.

Any other players in Phoenix ? ... nice group at Match Point. They use the older A B C point system -- people are eager to play well and move up. Some are a bit "too eager" but I am learning to deal with it. Pretty large group so playing only once a month takes a long time to move.

goober
02-15-2009, 12:41 PM
I think you make a good decision not to default. You drove a long way to play tennis, not win a defaulted match.

I know a lot of people that play match point. In fact I think pretty much my whole team except for me is in the men's A division. I am not too fond of the facility, but it seems like a great group of people. I just don't have enough free saturdays, for me to make it worthwhile.

The ABC system I actually think works quite well. From what I can see from all of the results C is 3.0-3.5, B is 4.0, and A is 4.5+. Further breaking it down into even smaller groups would leave out the 3.0s and 5.0s from playing. The Men's A division is very competitive in the level of play from the players I have seen.

Fay
02-15-2009, 12:46 PM
I think you make a good decision not to default. You drove a long way to play tennis, not win a defaulted match.

I know a lot of people that play match point. In fact I think pretty much my whole team except for me is in the men's A division. I am not too fond of the facility, but it seems like a great group of people. I just don't have enough free saturdays, for me to make it worthwhile.

The ABC system I actually think works quite well. From what I can see from all of the results C is 3.0-3.5, B is 4.0, and A is 4.5+. Further breaking it down into even smaller groups would leave out the 3.0s and 5.0s from playing. The Men's A division is very competitive in the level of play from the players I have seen.

Hey - how are ya ! Perhaps I'll see you at a rated tourny this summer ~

hotseat
02-15-2009, 02:58 PM
PTC isn't bad during the day, but the lights are AWFUL!!! fond memories from regionals and I think state was hosted there one year back from the high school days.

good call playing the match out, driving for 2 hours to get a default would be lame, as goober said.

speaking of goober - how's 4.5 land? awesome group of guys you're with, i hope you're soaking it up! our league starts up again this week, is it the same for you guys? been too lazy to check up on the 4.5 peeps. i heard there are a couple of new teams, though?

goober
02-15-2009, 03:23 PM
Yes we have our first match this week. I actually met with the team only once. I played a singles scrim against the captain. I did ok, but he may have been taking it easy on me. I really don't have too many expectations, just hope to get some matches here and there.

Looking at your roster, you guys should be easily one of the top teams. Your team is loaded (just not as loaded as the one you were just on last season that had like 75% of the team bumped haha:) )

And yes the lights are terrible. Too bad there are 3 teams based out of there so half our matches will be at night with bad lights.

hotseat
02-15-2009, 03:30 PM
i really don't understand how they field so many teams. i think there are 3 different women's 3.5 teams playing out of there as well. aside from terrible lights, the place is EXPENSIVE too!!

ya i'm not really sure how this session will go, I just know it will be fun. I know most of the guys really well and we get along great and just have a lot of fun playing together. definitely sucks we don't have everyone from last session, lol.

we got a tough match to start things out, so we'll see how it goes! good luck to you in your first match. any idea if you'll be playing singles or doubles yet?

Fay
02-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Match Point only charges me $15 for a two-day tournament ... doesn't seem expensive

hotseat
02-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Match Point only charges me $15 for a two-day tournament ... doesn't seem expensive

whoops, should have clarified. I meant the fees phoenix tennis center charges for hosting USTA league play :) match point is about as reasonable as it gets as far as fees go!

azheman
02-16-2009, 08:36 AM
What is Match Point?

I'm looking for people to hit with in Phoenix/Scottsdale.

I'm about a 3.0-3.5, I believe. Never been officially rated, but I play with people that have had a lot of tournament experience and tell me I'm quite good for only playing about a year.

Anyone interested in hitting sometime? Send me an email at branden.roden@gmail.com

Thanks!

Fay
02-16-2009, 08:54 AM
What is Match Point?

I'm about a 3.0-3.5, I believe. Never been officially rated, but I play with people that have had a lot of tournament experience and tell me I'm quite good for only playing about a year.

Anyone interested in hitting sometime? Send me an email at branden.roden@gmail.com

Thanks!

Match Point is a "social" competitive group that you work your way up the rankings within .... they use ABC system of ranking and have various types of matches each month ... they have been around 20- 30 years or so.

it is about $15 or 20 a year to join and the tournys are cheap too. 2-day weekend tournys with elimination round. Lots of good players to play against, and the courts are off Bethany Home and I 17 ... not too far from Scottsdale. I think there are about 20 city courts there.... not bad at all and pro shop, etc.

I come down to Phoenix and am always looking for someone to hit with and I know there are others on this list as well.

Fay
02-16-2009, 08:54 AM
March is singles ... I am playing in a 3-day clay tourny that weekend unfortunately in Sedona so I will miss that one. They do singles twice a year and various forms of doubles the other months.

goober
02-16-2009, 09:14 AM
What is Match Point?

Thanks!

Just to clarify Matchpoint holds one tournament a month. It is mostly doubles and mixed doubles with 2 singles tournaments a year. It is much cheaper than USTA and it is more of a social enviroment (although the matches are definitely competitive).

If you are in Scottsdale look up the Scottsdale recreation department. They have 2 centers that have lots of leagues/clinics that are going on. The sign up is next week in fact and if you are a new player to the system you are required to go to a rating session before you can join.

azheman
02-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Just to clarify Matchpoint holds one tournament a month. It is mostly doubles and mixed doubles with 2 singles tournaments a year. It is much cheaper than USTA and it is more of a social enviroment (although the matches are definitely competitive).

If you are in Scottsdale look up the Scottsdale recreation department. They have 2 centers that have lots of leagues/clinics that are going on. The sign up is next week in fact and if you are a new player to the system you are required to go to a rating session before you can join.

Yeah I noticed that about the Scottsdale Ranch Tennis Center. I will be going there for a rating session and most likely signing up for the courses before I do league play.

If anyone here would like to hit sometime, I'd be happy to meet up.

Thanks for the info.