PDA

View Full Version : mental game

k'naan
02-13-2009, 09:05 PM
Hey all,

I am a freshman playing d2. skill and fitness wise im undisputedly the 2 player, but mentally i am awful. played a challenge match against our 7 and lost in a third set tiebreak, and its killing my confidence.. help!?

NickC
02-13-2009, 09:14 PM
What exactly is your problem? Is your confidence shot? Was it not there before? Does your mind beat you up during a match? Do you have mental breakdowns or cramps during the match? Is your mind your own worst enemy? Do you not come into the match with a winning attitude? Are you not a really competitive person, and you find this hard to use when you're playing a mtach?

k'naan
02-13-2009, 09:25 PM
I dont know, I lost the first set and was down 0-4 in the 2nd, so it's not that I wasnt in it mentally.. I missed some shots I shouldn't have and I think I played the score too much, got down on myself.. Never really put my foot on the gas when I got a break.. I definately had a winning attitude, and im extremely competitive so it's not that... But the only reason Im losing is mental, I don't get it, but its driving me nuts....

tennismike33
02-13-2009, 09:30 PM
I dont know, I lost the first set and was down 0-4 in the 2nd, so it's not that I wasnt in it mentally.. I missed some shots I shouldn't have and I think I played the score too much, got down on myself.. Never really put my foot on the gas when I got a break.. I definately had a winning attitude, and im extremely competitive so it's not that... But the only reason Im losing is mental, I don't get it, but its driving me nuts....

There lies the key to unlocking your positive attitude about PLAYING, stop thinking of winning and losing. Stop thinking period, play the game. If losing is driving you nuts maybe you are taking things too serious, take a couple of days off, come back refreshed and go from there. Good luck.

saram
02-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Mike has some good advice--play every point with your heart and disregard the score. I work with a D1 team and see the most talented players on the planet crumble when taken outside of their comfort zone by someone that decides to push/grind/remove pace. They want to make shots and when that option is taken away--they crumble mentally.

Think back on those matches when you 'crumble' and see what happened. Did someone take you out of your game, did you lose focus? If you have the shots and fitness, you should have the skills to take control of the matches and get back on track.

When you admit here that you are mentally weak, you probably really let go on the court.

I have found when my game plan is not working--I go totally opposite of what I am doing. I serve and volley, step in on returns, do this, do that--but shake it up and get out of the bad groove that I am in. This does two things--takes me out my funk and gets my opponent out of their groove.

Analyze both your point construction and mental state when you feel like this. Make notes, write them down, and then figure out (possibly with your coach) how to change things up when you face similar obstacles.

Change is good when you're in a funk on a tennis court.

eeytennis
02-14-2009, 07:26 AM
Hey all,

I am a freshman playing d2. skill and fitness wise im undisputedly the 2 player, but mentally i am awful. played a challenge match against our 7 and lost in a third set tiebreak, and its killing my confidence.. help!?

First of all, go into a match believing that you can win it...don't be thinking "Oh, I am going to lose" or "This person is too good for me to beat". Have confidence in your game (but don't get cocky, just confident).

Secondly, and I have found this helps me, is don't show negative emotion during your matches. Don't slam your racket, don't yell at yourself out loud, etc.

Hope that helps!

tennismom42
02-14-2009, 07:58 AM
did your opponent have a hard serve? If so, maybe what happened is just the new can of balls. Those with hard serves tend to win the first set & third set. It makes sense that you came from behind in the 2nd set when the originals became dead.

tennismike33
02-14-2009, 07:59 AM
First of all, go into a match believing that you can win it...don't be thinking "Oh, I am going to lose" or "This person is too good for me to beat". Have confidence in your game (but don't get cocky, just confident).

Secondly, and I have found this helps me, is don't show negative emotion during your matches. Don't slam your racket, don't yell at yourself out loud, etc.

Hope that helps!

This too is GREAT advice. All of the yelling and screaming only adds to the confidence of your opponent not you. I have a player who tells me that it fires him up when he yells. How I assisted him was when we played I yelled on almost every point, I was as annoying as I could be. At a crucial point I started talking to myself almost loud enough for him to hear me. After the match was over I asked him how much fuel I had given to him, he dd admit that he got more and more amped becasue of my constant conversation with myself. JUST PLAY BABY!!!!