PDA

View Full Version : hitting on rise?

BullDogTennis
02-13-2009, 08:28 PM
i have a question about hitting on the rise. i know its sometimes difficult getting used to it. i've got the timing down on my forehand i NORMALLY*** dont have any trouble with it. but the one handed backhand has shown to be a bit of a problem sometimes(usually on slower, moonball type balls) but when its coming harder too. usually im WAY out in front and it goes way off to the right(usually in the court, but no where close to where i want it) i mean i would think that when getting used to hitting on the rise moreso you would be late on the ball, but that doesnt seem to be a problem, maybe not for you either.

i know i just need to get out and practice it, and i am. but im mostly just wanting to know if its common to be way out in front. instead of behind.

OvertheFence
02-13-2009, 08:56 PM
I think a good way to practice this is mini tennis and have someone feed you balls to hit on the rise. As you get better at it and feel the timing, you can go back little by little.

BullDogTennis
02-13-2009, 09:03 PM
its not that i cant hit on the rise, or am just starting hitting on the rise. i think my question would be better on hitting down the line (left side, if your facing the other side of the court, and right handed.) off the rise, consistently. mini tennis is tough for me with my one handed backhand because i find i have to really hit through the ball to generate topspin. its not like my forehand where i can flick it if need be.

saram
02-13-2009, 09:25 PM
We live in a world of baseline bashing. As mentioned above--you need to work on someone feeding you lofty balls with no pace and high bounces and work on your timing and stroke. I generally think in terms of blocking the ball back--not in the truest form, but less take-back on the stroke and a flatter follow through. Use it as a defensive shot directing the ball to set up an offensive shot. Hitting winners with high spin and pace when taking the ball early is a challenge.

LeeD
02-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Feeds IS the best practice, then you feed them what they need...
Shorthops, if you're not Agassi, you gotta move in toward the direction of your intended shot, follow thru toward that direction, and try to hit towards that direction.
More practice will tell you WHERE you naturally hit those shots, so you can compensate by turning more or less to get the ball to go where YOU want it to go.

BullDogTennis
02-14-2009, 09:26 AM
i deff move into it. i have a very very closed stance on my one handed backhand. (well i guess normally closed, but you can see my back when i set up as thats how i was taught.) but i will try some lowty balls i really dont have trouble with just getting the ball back where i want it, but hitting with authority. i will try to get out tommorow and monday and see how i fare with it.

another question i've been trying to get lots more spin on the ball(consistently) i can pretty much get kick serves in 95% of the time. but they just dont seem to always have that monster kick i want. sometimes ill catch one real good and it easily kicks up 6 or so feet(thats with my hitting it reletively hard) but other times they may go 4 feet high or so and seem to jump into people strike zone. i know i need lots of leg power, and what not but sometimes i try to imagine that i am gonna throw my racquet as high as i can so i hit it hard. are there any other things i can really work on?

**ill try to get a video up again, i know my descriptions probably suck. and you can only say so much from me typing, but hey what the heck.

LeeD
02-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Yeah, very closed stance for long strike zone, moving into the court to add to the strike zone, firm body, finish towards target. I wouldn't try to add any spin at all, because you're already close to the baseline, and any added motion just makes for more possible errors. You're close enough to pressure the opponent right from there.
Kick serves, clear the net higher, like 5-6', hit for deep placement in the service court, and huge swing speed is not needed. Some say a slightly slower swing speed can give the ball additional bite and bounce. I'm torn on that one.

BullDogTennis
02-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Yeah, very closed stance for long strike zone, moving into the court to add to the strike zone, firm body, finish towards target. I wouldn't try to add any spin at all, because you're already close to the baseline, and any added motion just makes for more possible errors. You're close enough to pressure the opponent right from there.

Kick serves, clear the net higher, like 5-6', hit for deep placement in the service court, and huge swing speed is not needed. Some say a slightly slower swing speed can give the ball additional bite and bounce. I'm torn on that one.

i dont really try to add spin on my backhand. i just swing from low to high. (around hip pocket, assuming its a mid range high ball, to around opposite shoulder)

but i dont see how that would work. i mean lets use some physics(i guess its physics) the more speed that impacts(slides up the ball) the more revolutions your gonna gererate, and when revolutions generated the more "pop" you would **think** you'd get.

i dunno. but i do do see what your saying.

LeeD
02-14-2009, 11:44 AM
You lost me on the "revolution" thing.
Basically, when you hit on the rise, your hitting court is shorter, so the opponent has less time to react to your shots. So more topspin might be nice, but not needed, if you can keep the ball in.
Connors hardly ever hit with real topspin, except for perfect height forehands. McEBoy mostly hit flat. Agassi used top, but when shorthopped, his ball was much more flat.
I recommend DO NOT try to add topspin to shorthopped balls, unless you are already top 20 in the world. Then you can do whatever you want.
That up bouncing shorthop, coupled with your up going stroke, is LOW MARGIN for error, and you WILL error on important points.

BullDogTennis
02-14-2009, 12:45 PM
i was saying that i dont "try" to add topspin, its just natural in my swing.

but what i was talking about revolutions pertained to the kick serve portion of the question. revolutions, as in its spinning alot more.