PDA

View Full Version : HELP !!! Which 2H backhand is better??? Double bent or straight arm ??

phoenicks
02-14-2009, 04:02 AM
As the title suggest, I am in a state of confusion now as my coach said that straight arm will be a better option when I asked him which 1 is better between the 2, but all along I've been using double bent and I actually hit with more power and pace with double bent technique. My 2H backhand motion is kinda similiar to Murray and WTA kind of style.

Actually I did change to straight arm in the 1st few lesson with the coach, and I did see an increase in spin, but somehow, i switch back to my old double bent technique.

However, sometimes when I watch Nalbandian, and Safin double handed backhand, I feel confused again as they use straight arm technique and are the gold standard of 2HBH .

Furthermore, sometimes I suffer a drop in level in backhand whereby I'll see a significant drop in power and spin, but, I do have my on day whereby I'll be ripping backhand winner like mad. as to whether or not I am having more good days or bad days with my backhand, I think it's a roughly de same, with other days being normal.

So, I am really in a state of confused now, should I listen to my coach to change my backhand to straight arm or stick to my double bent technique.

P/S: this coach have totally transformed my forehand technique and it'll be a matter of when it will be a big bang consistent weapon !!! Thus, I am hesitated when he said straight arm is better as he's proven himself to be right with a change in my forehand technique.

Sorry for the long thread.

LeeD
02-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Either both, or neither...
Everyone uses different technique for two handers.
Everyone uses different grips for two handers.
Everyone uses different swing and prep for two handers.
No specific ONE way to hold your arms.

Djokovicfan4life
02-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Racquet back: Bent arms.

Contact point: Straight arms (at least with the left hand; right may bend slightly).

obnoxious2
02-14-2009, 07:35 PM
This is a dilemma that I have been going through. I have found out that a straight arm technique is much more consistent as seen by Verdasco's bh. But for me, a double bend backhand gives me much much more pop on the ball when I go for it. The double bend backhand is much more closer to hitting a baseball stroke and I just think like I am hitting a linedrive with the doublebend.

I have been watchin some Agassi vids because he has the best 2hbh IMO.

soyizgood
02-14-2009, 08:04 PM
It depends on comfort level. If you like to hit early and high, you might want to hit mostly straight arm (i.e. Agassi, Kafelnikov). Or if you like to thrust more of your body towards the ball, a bent arm technique will do (i.e. Venus, Djokovic bends both arms on contact with his though not as close to the body as Venus).

With mine, both arms are slightly bent (slight for the weak arm, a little more bent on the strong arm) on takeback. My racquet head points slightly upward on my takeback, so that has something to do with my setup. At contact the weak arm is mostly straight but my strong arm is bent at about 20-30 degrees.

I can't see myself doing a pure straight arm setup. That requires more arm energy in my opinion (especially if the takeback has the racquet head facing downward) and can make for awkward responses to high balls if mistimed. That and I wonder if there is extra vibration from mishits.

There's nothing wrong with a bent backhand. If it gets the ball in play and you can make things happen with it, have fun kicking butt with it. :)

BullDogTennis
02-14-2009, 08:18 PM
thats like asking whose hotter, a blonde or a brunnette... its just whatever works for you!

Djokovicfan4life
02-14-2009, 08:23 PM
Straight arm = blonde http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsWgHvv1zf0&feature=related

Bent arm = brunette http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MVR09L7PoY

I'll take the straight arm everytime, provided that the two hander has no personality to begin with, hahahahahaha!