PDA

View Full Version : Topspin Cyberflash & Prosupex

cphstennis
02-14-2009, 06:10 AM
i use luxilon rough right now. but i heard topspin cyber flash and prosupex are real good too. what does everyone think about these strings compared to luxilon. my main reason for wanting to get these is the cost.

hoodjem
02-14-2009, 06:49 AM
Do a search; you will find plenty of info.

davidahenry
02-14-2009, 09:56 AM
I use full Luxilon BB Alu Power Rough but recently tried a full bed of Topspin CyberFlash. At $15 a set for Alu, I was seeking a less expensive alternative. Many board members suggested CF as the closest playing poly to Alu. Therefore, I gave it a shot.

Based on my experience, CF is a very good poly and does play similarly to Alu, but it is not Alu. Alu just has this amazing crispness and bite that I don't get from other strings - including CF. From a playability standpoint, there is nothing like freshly strung Alu, IMO.

CF, if bought in a reel, is much less expensive - around $4 per string job. And... CF maintains tension much longer than Alu.

You should definitely try CF and form your own opinion. While I'm sure you'll agree that Lux is better, it still might not be worth the extra money for you.

When you mention Pro Supex, I am assuming you are talking about Big Ace (BA). BA gets a ton of love on these boards, but I have never tried it. It is my understanding that it is much softer than Alu.

Take care.

DH

jsuwan
02-14-2009, 10:09 AM
CF compare to luxilon Alu rough is totally different string.

CF is a good string for the price but can't compare to luxilon. Luxilon play much better. Yes, As David said luxilon lose tension faster the CF but it still playable til the string break. I feel luxilon have more bite more power though the ball.

Pro supex big ace, is another different string than CF and Lux Alu or alu rough. Big ace is much softer string much more power. If you want to try this string you might want to strung 2-4 lbs higher than Luxilon or CF....
The best thing is try it out... People have a different like...

Bottle Rocket
02-14-2009, 11:33 AM
I completely agree with davidahenry.

Cyberflash plays like a string job of Luxilon with 3-4 hours on it, and it will maintain this level of playability for a very long time. As great as Luxilon is when it is fresh, for most all of us, the $65 Cyberflash reel make a lot more sense. Pro Supex Big Ace reels are about $87, so for each string job, its a small increase in price.

I've been using Big Ace now for a few months, even won a tournament using it. I haven't been a fan, but I am forcing myself to use it, as I bought a whole reel of it. I used Cyberflash for almost two years before making the switch.

Big Ace is softer than Cyber Flash and Luxilon (but NOT a soft string!!), and it not as crisp as either one. It is more durable than both and more durable than any other string I have used. I don't think it is as powerful as Cyber Flash, and it completely lacks the elasticity of a fresh set of Luxilon.

I think Big Ace is a good alternative to Cyber Flash. Some guys will like one over the other and some will like both. Right now, I like both, but I am enjoying the durablity of the Big Ace right now. I also like that it is softer than Cyber Flash.

Here is a detailed comparison I wrote about this issue and there are a lot of replies to get a lot of different opinions:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=236958

davidahenry
02-15-2009, 07:12 AM

I disagree. CF is fairly comparable to Alu (normal version). In fact, it is probably one of the closest poly's to Alu (normal).

Alu (normal) is VERY similar to Alu Rough. I think Rough provides more bite than the normal version, but the difference is minimal. But since the price of normal and Rough is the same, I prefer Rough.

So... If CF is comparable to Alu (normal), and Alu (normal) is comparable to Alu Rough, then, IMO, CF is comparable to Alu Rough.

Just my $0.02.

DH

NovakWannabe
02-15-2009, 07:36 AM
So if I normally string full poly at 55 lbs. Full Pro Supex Big Ace would need to be strung at around 57-58?

Bottle Rocket
02-15-2009, 07:54 AM
So if I normally string full poly at 55 lbs. Full Pro Supex Big Ace would need to be strung at around 57-58?

It doesn't "need" to be. I string Big Ace at the same tension I was using with Cyber Flash in my K95's.

I think the reason stringing it higher is often recommended is because it feels pretty mushy at lower tensions and raising the tension helps some with that.

Either way, the issue was discussed at length in the link I posted above.

WildVolley
02-15-2009, 01:30 PM
I find that Cyberflash gives a crisper feel than Big Ace, which I find slightly soft or mushy. In my experience, Big Ace is a tougher string, and less likely to break due to a mishit near the frame. Cyberflash can be a little brittle, but I love the feel it gives when fresh and strung at low tension.

cphstennis
02-16-2009, 07:04 AM
well thanks for all the info. ill probably go with the cyberflash in the future. but we'll see

King of Aces
02-18-2009, 06:13 PM

CF is a good string for the price but can't compare to luxilon. Luxilon play much better. Yes, As David said luxilon lose tension faster the CF but it still playable til the string break. I feel luxilon have more bite more power though the ball.

Pro supex big ace, is another different string than CF and Lux Alu or alu rough. Big ace is much softer string much more power. If you want to try this string you might want to strung 2-4 lbs higher than Luxilon or CF....
The best thing is try it out... People have a different like...

I agree with you Suwan.

I like the pro supex best though because its soft.

naza2
02-18-2009, 06:28 PM
you may want to try pro supex premier ace too. i like that one better than big ace. it's more crisp than BA and to me, it has more feel too. BA is too mushy and muted for me.

Blade0324
02-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Just throwing in my opinion here too. I have used all of these and really like Alu as well as CF. They are both pretty stiff poly's with nice spin and control. I really dislike BA contrary to the opinions of many here I find it to be VERY powerful with very little spin (good syn. gut is better IMO). Just the opinion of one however.