PDA

View Full Version : Big Ace ---- yes or no?

bad_call
02-14-2009, 09:34 AM
For those who have tried Big Ace -

1) do you prefer it over other polys? if so what gauge? hybrid or full job?
2) if not why? what polys/others do you prefer instead?

thanks in advance for posting. :)

PROTENNIS63
02-14-2009, 10:18 AM
There are tons of threads on this string. There is even some on the first page below this thread.

bad_call
02-14-2009, 10:51 AM
There are tons of threads on this string. There is even some on the first page below this thread.

yeah i read quite a few. i pose this question to those like PED (seeing how PED's signature indicates ALU) who have tried this string. ok with you?

PED
02-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Bad call, I find BA to work better in some racquets than others. I liked it quite a bit in the thicker beamed babolats like the apdc and pdr but not so much in my storm tour which has a beam of only 21mm.

I've not yet tried it in my prestige pro but I would imagine that it would work quite well. Protennis63 uses it in his head mid and likes it quite a bit.

I used to use alu, switched to BA for over a year then moved back to alu when I changed to the storm tour. The last time I tried it in my storm, I had a problem getting the ball up and down so to speak. I was not getting the action on it that I was with alu so I moved back.

I was lucky enough last year to get a good deal on a fairly large supply of alu but that supply is almost up :(

So I'll have a decision to make in the next month or so. As much as I love alu, I have a hard time justifying almost 16 a set for it. I'll likely go back to BBO which is only 10 a set or the gamma zo tour which is 11 a set. I like both of those in the 16g which should work well in the open pattern of the pres pro. I've also got a set of kirschbaum pl2 to try out as well.

BA is well worth a demo and I always seemed to play my best with the 1.22mm version of it. However, it seemed that I was paying $8 a set for BA and it's worth it to me to pay the extra $2 a set for BBO. I always loved a hybrid of BA and the supex titan syn gut, it was a great combo of spin and power.

Bad call, I like your signature, I'm always surprised at how effective those signature "ads" are. I sold my storm tours using that same method without even having to put them on the sale section :)

game set match 46 TIMES!!
02-14-2009, 11:07 AM
reasons why i like it:

Colors
Soft
Durabilty
String with anything

bad_call
02-14-2009, 11:21 AM
PED - thanks for responding so quickly (currently doing yard work and needed a break so checked back). :) if i may ask what is BBO? never mind i'm thinking it's Big Banger Original.

anyway looking at BA for the MG Pres Pro. btw - in agreement with your posted opinion regarding racquets/strings combo.

bad_call
02-14-2009, 12:56 PM
going to have to give this a try. giving myself a vday present. :)

bluescreen
02-14-2009, 01:32 PM
BA is my second or third favorite poly. it has excellent playability and durability, and its super cheap.

Blade0324
02-14-2009, 01:52 PM
I have tried BA in a hybrid as the mains as well as full set up in my Prestige Pro and did not like it at all. I found it to be waaayyy too soft and had a great deal of power. I did not find it to give any more spin than a multi or syn gut and the control was non existant. I tried lower tensions than normal as well as higher and nothing helped. Yes it's cheap but even with the price it's not worth it to me. I use Pro Red Code mostly and like it really well. I also find Pro Hurricane tour to be excellent string. Just my two cents.

bad_call
02-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Blade0324 - thanks. i'll keep that in mind. will probably try it 1st in the Tour 10 V Mid which is an 18x20 low powered racquet...lower than the PPro.

PED
02-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Good comments Blade, I'll keep the BA out of my Pres Pro. So far I 've use ALU power, alu rough and VS/alu. The alu power at 55/52 has been the best setup so far-great pop and control.

I've had it for almost a month now, and I have to say that it's the best stick I've had. I was on the fence in the first week or so after moving from the PST but now with 2g of lead at the top of hoop, the Pro is just great.

I like the variety of string set ups that you can use with the open pattern, I've always been partial to 1.28 and 1.30mm poly's and am really looking forward to trying the BBO in there. I'm surprised at the pop of the Pro but it's also much more accurate than my PST in directional control as well.

bad_call
02-14-2009, 02:10 PM
i'm getting the 1.22 gauge which is rated lower in power than the 1.25 so it could work in the PPro. maybe lower the tension only 1-2 lbs.

mikeler
02-14-2009, 03:03 PM
I just started using BA on my mains with PSGD in the crosses. I am liking the feel of it so far.

zacinnc78
02-14-2009, 03:25 PM
i have arm probs and i liked it today ,played just as good as my usual unique big hitter (i was also using og sheep micro with it instead of my usual nrg2 so maybe it woulda played even better with nrg2)

hoodjem
02-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Try also Cyberflash 1.20 and MSV Hex 1.10.

You'll be glad you did.

italianopalo
02-15-2009, 02:15 AM
Full job of BA 17 gauge on a K95 18X20 was amazing - excellent spin and feel for an all-court game.

Lloyd Barcenilla
02-15-2009, 09:52 AM
How does silverstring compare?

WildVolley
02-15-2009, 02:27 PM
I prefer Topspin Cyberflash over Big Ace. In my MP LM Radical at tension in the low 50s, I believe I get more pop and feel out of the Cyberflash than the Big Ace.

Big Ace holds tension, but I find it just sort of has a dead feeling, though that isn't unusual for poly.

bad_call
02-15-2009, 07:05 PM
I just started using BA on my mains with PSGD in the crosses. I am liking the feel of it so far.

what tension, what gauge and in what racquet? i read in another post today that some of are the opinion that BA is a bit powerful and plays better at an increased tension.

rollingbrock
02-16-2009, 09:17 AM
I switched from Cyber Flash 1.25 to Big Ace 1.25 recently and am very happy with it. The Cyber Flash was a little rough on my arm. I did string the Big Ace a couple pounds higher just to be safe. FWIW, I'm using a Flexpoint Prestige MP.

Fedace
02-16-2009, 09:27 AM
BA is one of the better feel strings that is out there as far as Poly goes. soft poly with good control. nothing special as far as spin goes.

Lloyd Barcenilla
02-16-2009, 09:29 AM
I prefer Blue gear over big ace.
MSV is also nice.

mikeler
02-16-2009, 10:09 AM
what tension, what gauge and in what racquet? i read in another post today that some of are the opinion that BA is a bit powerful and plays better at an increased tension.

Well, I meant to string it at 60/62 for the mains and crosses respectively. I forgot to up the tension on the crosses, so I'm playing with BA 16g on the mains and PSGD 16g on the crosses both at 60 pounds. The only other poly I I have played with is Luxilon Big Banger 16g which I strung at 54 pounds on the mains with PSGD at 60 pounds on the crosses. To me, the feeling of the Big Ace is much better, but I'm wondering if that has to due with the difference in tension. I never string my rackets below 60 pounds. After 4 matches, there is no notching at all on the BA, but the PSGD crosses look like they could break any minute. I'm using the Prince O3 Royal.

bad_call
02-16-2009, 03:05 PM
mikeler - interesting info. thanks. i think the BBO 16g is a bit more powerful than the BA 16g so the higher tension could be more to your liking. will need to do a bit more checking but it looks like BA plays better at a slighter higher tension.

PED
02-16-2009, 03:34 PM
One quick note on BBO vs BA is that BBO is a good bit stiffer than BA so it benefits more from the lower tension. Also BBO has better spin and just overall ability to get the ball up and down. A big positive for BA is that it will hold tension for longer and maintain playability and its softer nature is easier on the arm :)

I would string the BA at whatever you normally do your poly tension or maybe a pound or so higher. BA does not really play that differently than most polys.

bad_call
02-16-2009, 04:42 PM
One quick note on BBO vs BA is that BBO is a good bit stiffer than BA so it benefits more from the lower tension. Also BBO has better spin and just overall ability to get the ball up and down. A big positive for BA is that it will hold tension for longer and maintain playability and its softer nature is easier on the arm :)

I would string the BA at whatever you normally do your poly tension or maybe a pound or so higher. BA does not really play that differently than most polys.

i string Cyber Blue 17g at 1 pound higher than "standard multi" tension in the Tour 10 V Mid (18x20). CB 17g is rated higher in power than BA 1.22g. what do you think the tension should be for BA 1.22g?

PED
02-16-2009, 06:09 PM
I would likely string up the BA at the same tension as the CB, they are somewhat similar in power with CB being the more powerful of the two. The 1.22 BA is alot of fun!

bad_call
02-16-2009, 07:06 PM
PED - thanks. think i'll give that a try. can i blame u if i don't like it? :) j/k...:wink:

PED
02-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Yes, it's always good to have someone to blame ;)

My son loves to do that when I get him a string setup that he doesn't like. I must be bad dad for making him try K Gut...LOL

puck1230
02-16-2009, 11:21 PM
I didn't like BA in my POG mid. It was hybrid at 52/56 with PSGD in the crosses. Usually I have Gosen Polyon in the mains but wanted to try BA after hearing so much on the forums about it. It wasn't crisp, didn't really offer any power, but most disappointing was the vibration, or twang that accompanied the freshly strung racquet. Just wasn't for me. Maybe I prefer the crispier-ness of the harsher polys....

mikeler
02-17-2009, 05:21 AM
Bad_call,

I'm not sure how much longer the BA will last me, but judging by the durability so far, I may actually go to a 17 gauge string for the next reel. I've only played with 16 and 15 my entire tennis career because of string breaking.

naza2
02-17-2009, 06:59 PM
I didn't like BA in my POG mid. It was hybrid at 52/56 with PSGD in the crosses. Usually I have Gosen Polyon in the mains but wanted to try BA after hearing so much on the forums about it. It wasn't crisp, didn't really offer any power, but most disappointing was the vibration, or twang that accompanied the freshly strung racquet. Just wasn't for me. Maybe I prefer the crispier-ness of the harsher polys....

i'm afraid i would have to agree. i bought a reel of BA since nobody sells packs here based on what opinions i read and heard. after trying it on a few rackets at different tension and also mixing it with a couple of multi's, i have to say that BA is just not for me.

so far, i prefer SPPP and BBO over BA. i find that BA lack the cracking sound when you hit the ball. nothing to shout about on spin as well. i feel that it's too muted and doesnt provide much feel. but this is just me. so it's a NO if you ask me.

bad_call
02-18-2009, 06:36 AM
naza2 - tried a few polys already including SPPP. bought a few sets of BA 1.22 and have some BG that i've yet to try. i like crisp but not sure if my elbow does so hybriding for me.

have to get back and post results after testing. as usual tension and racquet factor into the results. :)

T1000
02-18-2009, 07:13 AM
1. I liked it in a full job on a rds 001 mid and i also liked it when i hybrided it with blue gear (bg in mains") the full job was a 16g and the hybrid was bg-16g and ba-17g.

2. I prefer pro hurricane 17g and pro red code over it

Noisy Ninja
02-18-2009, 07:18 AM
i'm afraid i would have to agree. i bought a reel of BA since nobody sells packs here based on what opinions i read and heard. after trying it on a few rackets at different tension and also mixing it with a couple of multi's, i have to say that BA is just not for me.

so far, i prefer SPPP and BBO over BA. i find that BA lack the cracking sound when you hit the ball. nothing to shout about on spin as well. i feel that it's too muted and doesnt provide much feel. but this is just me. so it's a NO if you ask me.

In my experience, Big Ace (in thinner gauges) performs best in a full setup. As someone with past arm issues from using BB Alu, I was reluctant to go full setup with a poly but to my surprise...a full Big Ace setup had no adverse effects whatsoever. In addition, a full setup of Big Ace exhibited much more feel (crispness) and spin potential. And...that "cannon" boom will be very apparent...
FWIW, my current setup is BA Micro (mains) & BA 1.22 (crosses) strung @ 56/54; I'm getting ~ 9 hours before breakage playing singles with K90's.

naza2
02-18-2009, 07:56 AM
In my experience, Big Ace (in thinner gauges) performs best in a full setup. As someone with past arm issues from using BB Alu, I was reluctant to go full setup with a poly but to my surprise...a full Big Ace setup had no adverse effects whatsoever. In addition, a full setup of Big Ace exhibited much more feel (crispness) and spin potential. And...that "cannon" boom will be very apparent...
FWIW, my current setup is BA Micro (mains) & BA 1.22 (crosses) strung @ 56/54; I'm getting ~ 9 hours before breakage playing singles with K90's.

I've heard so many compliments on the BAM that i may try a couple of packs soon. Pro supex stuff is hard to get here that i'd have to order from singapore or direct from taiwan. On the BA, i've tried everywhere between 48 to 64lbs at full setup, hybrid and different cross/main but unfortunately nothing to my liking.

on another note, i will also try a full setup of msv hex and cyberflash on my new microgel prestige mid and see how they perform. So far, the SPPP i got on it now does the job well and i'll be impressed if anything else can top it. i usually strung my racket at 59lbs or above and rarely go below that. Luxilon BBO works wonderfully but i dont think i wanna spend that much money on a string job.

bad-call: have you also tried premier ace? i like this one better than the BA. as far as elbow goes, the only string that gives me pain is luxilon alu power. it does sound weird considering i can play without any issue using premier ace, SPPP and kevlar. from my experience, it's also true that different racket will response differently to different strings. it seems that any racket with stiffness less 60 will hurt my elbow. whenever i have elbow issues, i'll concentrate on hitting the ball in front of me and brushing it a bit more. it puts less stress on my elbow and shoulders. you will be kinda forced to use bigger muscles like your hip and abs rather than your arm when hitting this way, reducing some of pain that you're having.

there seems to be no right or wrong answer. you just have to try them and see which one suits you best. if it works, it works.

naza2
02-18-2009, 08:01 AM
naza2 - tried a few polys already including SPPP. bought a few sets of BA 1.22 and have some BG that i've yet to try. i like crisp but not sure if my elbow does so hybriding for me.

have to get back and post results after testing. as usual tension and racquet factor into the results. :)

oh, BG is pretty nice too. however, after a couple of sessions, the gear will disappear and it'll become just like a regular BA. try it out, you may like it better than BA.

NastyWinners
02-18-2009, 10:05 AM
I have a buddy that loves BA because its a softer poly and it plays really well. I believe he has it strung at 60 lbs.

I personally prefer BG over BA, but BA is a really solid string, especially for the price.

bad_call
02-18-2009, 10:51 AM
naza2 - haven't tried any of the Pro Supex strings yet...tho have a few on the way. may be a while til i get to test...all racquets have been freshly strung and i don't like to cut out the good stuff.

hoodjem
02-18-2009, 12:09 PM
I've got Pro Supex BA Micro 1.15 in a hybrid with Gosen OG Micro 18g in a racquet right now. Another (same specs) racquet has MSV Hex 1.10 crossed with Gosen OG Micro 17g.

Oddly--because the tension is a little higher on the MSV strings and the Gosen crosses with it are slightly thicker, the MSV Hex 1.10 plays a little softer and is the better feeling of the two.

And of course I get more spin with the hex strings.

Pro Supex Big Ace Micro plays pretty doggone well, but the MSV is even better.