PDA

View Full Version : All poly for serve and volley?

jcwg74
02-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Pro's and con's for serve and volleying with all poly? I am currently serve and volleying with Babolat Hurricane poly in the mains and Babolat xcel in the crosses. I haven't yet tried the Hurricane in both mains and crosses, and wonder how it might work for an avid net-rusher.

NickC
02-14-2009, 12:49 PM
It depends on how you hit the ball. If you're trying to spin the ball quite heavily, and follow that into the net, it's good stuff.

jcwg74
02-14-2009, 01:28 PM
I hit mostly slice on the backhand and I like to hit my imitation "flinger" Nadal-esque forehand where my follow-through goes over my head, so yes I do like to hit lots of spin on my way to the net. How is the feel on volleys with all poly?

hoodjem
02-14-2009, 02:31 PM
String at low tension--you'll need it at the net.

oneguy21
02-14-2009, 02:34 PM
you should be alright. Jonas Bjorkman plays a lot of serve and volley tennis and he uses full luxilon.

Azzurri
02-14-2009, 03:22 PM
It will work, but its not the same as S&V with gut. Its a different feel at contact. But soft shots (sort of like drop shots) are better with the gut.

Fedace
02-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Full poly does not work for me at all when serving and volleying. I can't get the feel on the really tough volley. I need the feel of hybrid job to place the volley deep or hit sharp angles at net.

Azzurri
02-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Full poly does not work for me at all when serving and volleying. I can't get the feel on the really tough volley. I need the feel of hybrid job to place the volley deep or hit sharp angles at net.

what are you babbling about now.:confused:

Fedace
02-14-2009, 05:16 PM
what are you babbling about now.:confused:

You said Babble,,NOT me. so what are YOU babblingg ??????????:twisted: Let's put it this way, if tennis was all about the volleys, i would never use the Poly, period.

Azzurri
02-15-2009, 02:52 PM
^^amazing how full of it you are. you can't possibly play tennis. You know exactly nothing.

downdaline
02-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Full poly helps on the serve, especially if you like to hit the big kick serve.

Volley-wise, i can volley with any string. I've S&V-ed successfully in many matches with SPPP at 50lbs. The poly makes for a more controlled volleys.

But compared to a gut setup, I noticed that I hit more volleys per point with the fully poly than with gut (i.e. difficult to hit put away volleys with full poly).

nadal for number1
02-15-2009, 07:22 PM
look at richard gasquet, volleys greta w full lux

EndLy
02-15-2009, 08:01 PM
the feel isn't the best thing in the world but very manageable..
i went from poly hybrid of big banger original/PSG to full pro hurricane then synthetic gut. i found when i switched to syn. gut my drop shots and volleys were a lot better but i use a hybrid setup with poly mains again. Serve and volleys are just as good if not better after i worked on my skills...