PDA

View Full Version : Does letting a racquet strung with alu power 16 sit for 24 hrs increase longevity?

oneguy21
02-14-2009, 03:15 PM
I've read in NickB's poly reviews that letting a racquet newly strung with this string sit for 24 hrs will make the playability last longer (I know durability will last forever for me), but I'm talking in terms of playability.

Has anyone tried this? If so, how longer can you play with it before it goes dead?

autumn_leaf
02-14-2009, 04:05 PM
if i remember correctly he said this in terms of losing tension when playing.

so he lets it sit longer so he doesn't experience as much tension loss during play.

oneguy21
02-14-2009, 04:07 PM
if i remember correctly he said this in terms of losing tension when playing.

so he lets it sit longer so he doesn't experience as much tension loss during play.

Isn't tension loss = going dead?

jim e
02-14-2009, 04:17 PM
if you don't use it you lose it::)

Steve Huff
02-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Increase longevity??? Well yes, by about 24 hours.

v205
02-15-2009, 12:49 AM
I think leaving it 24 hrs gives it some time for the knots to settle in and that in terms stops extra tension loss. For us non pro players, it's probably better to not play it in the first 24hr at least.

scotus
02-15-2009, 09:59 AM
I've read in NickB's poly reviews that letting a racquet newly strung with this string sit for 24 hrs will make the playability last longer (I know durability will last forever for me), but I'm talking in terms of playability.

Has anyone tried this? If so, how longer can you play with it before it goes dead?

All strings lose quite a bit of tension within the 24 hours after stringing even when not played with.

So my interpretation of NickB's view (albeit without having read his post) is this: I'd like to play with a string job for at least a month, that means that the tension must be where I like it a day or two after the stringing job, rather than right after. So if I like to play at 45 lbs, I might get it strung at 55 lbs or 60 lbs, depending on the type of string and let it sit. Also a first hours of playing results in a noticeable tension loss. This also must be taken into account.

Pros, on the other hand, do not expect their string job to last them a month. What they need is maximum playability and consistency. Which is why they play within hours of the stringing job and switch frames every set or every ball change. For them they don't need to string it higher than the tension they like to play at.

I personally let my frame sit for a week or two after the stringing job before I begin to play with it. Remember, I am a recreational player and I want my string job to last a month or two at least. So after my gut has sat for a week or two, it has settled on the tension I like and I can enjoy a consistent playability (probably not the best) for a long time.

autumn_leaf
02-15-2009, 02:24 PM

yes it does. but when you let it sit your body won't have to deal with the dramatic tension loss during play which can wreak havoc if you're sensitive to tension.

Bottle Rocket
02-15-2009, 02:46 PM

Nope.

yes it does.

Nope.

Tension and elasticity are different.

Playing around with some rubberbands of different sizes can show this, or if you're a stringer, it is pretty obvious when you're using different strings with a drop-weight. Polyester strings for the most part, lack elasticity in comparison with natural guts and synthetic guts.

Luxilon, when fresh, has great elasticity for a polyester. This is what differentiates it from other polyesters when it is fresh. Big Ace, for example, is very mushy and almost stretch, it doesn't scream "elasticity" to me.

In my own experience, a truly fresh string job (within a few hours of stringing) doesn't play real well and gets worse very quickly (everything with Luxilon seems to be amplified). Everytime I've let a new string job sit for a while, initial playability loss is less, and it seems to last longer throughout the life of the string.

jbetti
02-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Any string job involving some type of poly string I would recommend letting sit a day or two before using. In most polys, tension drops quite a bit in the first day or two, after that it hardly drops at all. For this reason, I always string a little on the high end and then let it sit.