PDA

View Full Version : Playing on har-tru (vs hard) - strategy change?

julianoz
02-14-2009, 06:55 PM
I play on har-tru and hard courts, enjoy hard more because its more bang bang and it doesnt allow the old pushers to hang around as much.

Har-true is obviously slower, less aces. The bounce is suppose to be higher but I really don't notice it to be honest. Some indoor hard courts i play on are fast and have really high bounces.

When i go play a singles match on har-true, should be strategy be different because of the surface? Ive just never thought about it. I know there will be longer rallies but should I change the way i play?

Steady Eddy
02-14-2009, 09:41 PM
You want to be steady on har-tru because the points will be longer. When you hit hard on a hard court, you chance of making an error goes up, but so does your chance of hitting a winner, so it often is worth it. But on har-tru, it still becomes likely you'll make an error, but less likely it will be a winner because the court surface slows down the ball so much.

Also, be more picky on when to go to the net, because your approach shot will be easier for your opponent to hit, and you can be passed more easily up there.

Geezer Guy
02-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Good stuff Eddy. Also, you can take advantage of the loose footing by hitting behind your opponent more often, and basically just running him all over. He won't be able to change direction as quickly. And, remember to throw in more dropshots.

JimW
02-14-2009, 10:40 PM
I'd recommend hitting for depth rather than pace. The surface will slow the ball quite a bit after the bounce, so hard-hit shots that land short won't penetrate the court. The deeper the ball stays in the air, the less time your opponent will have to react.